General Dance Discussion > Anyone married to or dating someone that does not like to dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by California, Jun 15, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

slowdancer...i have to read back further to be really fair and it sounds like you'd rather wrap this up...but from just the little that I have read...let me concur that respect is vital in a relationship...you are right...and snide remarks about anything should STOP...period...loving you is respecting what you love even if not shared...unless it has been so profuse that it has hurt him or endangered the relationship...and even then...there is a way to convey it that isn't what you describe...good luck to you on that ...hug hug hug

2. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Thanks, Fasc, and hugs back atcha.:friend:

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

"Man! I feel like a woman!"

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

finally, we found a way to correct the defect :evil:
    [see, I'm not as nice as mamboqueen]
    [[I''m joking of course]]

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think I can fix that:cool:

7. The Tango Addict

The Tango Addict New Member

Hmmm tough one! I dated someone who didn't dance and got him interested.. very interested. Long story short, we've had to split up milongas after our breakup.

Eva

8. Arnie Johnson

Arnie Johnson New Member

Bumping an oldie. Apparently I'm not the only one wrestling with, or who has wrestled with, his/her conscience.

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

How so?

10. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Seeing this thread makes me thankful for my husband. Probably one of the most non-jealous men alive on the planet. I dance, he doesn't care. He supports my decisions and actually encourages me to go full steam ahead. But then again ... I support his wants and desires as well too. Works well ... LOL

11. Arnie Johnson

Arnie Johnson New Member

I think SlowDancer touched on the dilemma in posts #65 and #69. The dilemma is you don't want to hurt your spouse's feelings but you also don't want to give up your own identity. DW doesn't get it that it's not a little two-minute emotional affair each time I dance with another woman.

Dancing is one of the things I do that makes me feel like a living breathing human being with a name and free will, instead of feeling like a household appliance. I've been an appliance, don't want to go back there.

12. QPO

QPO New Member

I have lots of friends who's Male partners wont dance.....but they still go dancing, why should you have to give up something you love...it eats away at your soul

13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend and I just saw Nicole Kidman's movie "Australia" and she was blown away with how good it was ("That guy's going to walk away with so many Academy Awards") -- I have to agree: it was mainly a western and many things were predictable (I knew that that accountant was not going to survive the cattle stampede), but it was still a good movie and did not feel as long as it was -- we stayed on through the credits and the very last thing the soundtrack played was the boy's song, which (sentimental slob that I am, especially after the death of my son six years ago and the subsequent loss of my 28-year "family man" status) seemed oh-so-right. And I realize that there are oh-so-many machismo stereotypes about Australian guys (eg, Australian foreplay: "Brace yourself, Sheila!") Even from fellow Air Force personnel who had served in Australia and reported that Australian guys were more attentive to their "maytes" and ignoring their women until they noticed the Yanks out there dancing with their women.

OK, women dancing because their "significant others" (SO -- referrring to spouses ("spice"?) or serious boyfriends) do not dance is considered normal -- even in the US, BTW. What about men who go out dancing while their female partners obstain? Women wanting to dance while their male partners decline is considered normal, but men wanting to dance while their female partners obstain? ***? (AKA "Whiskey, Tango Foxtrot!?" as in "What the frak???").

14. gracie

gracie Active Member

I had a SO that went to dance by himself all the time as we lived in different cities. He is a very good lead and was appreciated by the ladies and I had no problem with it. I went out by myself in my town also and he had no problem with that. Guess we had a "mature" relationship.

15. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

PNSO can't dance or I should say she can freestyle to rock, etc. Hey, she said she wanted a guy who could dance. Careful what you wish for...

16. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

OMG .... yay!

;)

17. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

But it does happen ...

Yesterday I was at a cocktail party where I talked to some old friends. Just a little chit-chat -- nothing profound or detailed because it was crowded and noisy, and we were there for only a short time before heading off dancing.

This couple had taken up AT a few years ago. In my chat with the wife I heard about how she is spending a lot of time on her singing. In a separate conversation the husband mentioned he is getting pretty good at AT, but the wife is uncomfortable with the body contact, especially with men she doesn't know, and is doing it much less. She is an excellent dancer, but ...

Hmm ... the next time I have a chance to really talk with them, I'll try to remember to ask about this.

18. RickRS

RickRS Member

Certainly mangling the stereotype. ;)

19. QPO

QPO New Member

As I mentioned previously, neither side of the couple should have to give up dancing if the other does not or cannot dance. I am lucky and have a partner that can dance and wants to dance...

On the movie front I have yet to see it but Hugh Jackman is a spunk and so down to earth. Poor Nicole is having too much work done..not quite looking her charming normal self. I hope to catch up with the movie during the xmas break :) so dont give too much away ;-)

20. Toddy

Toddy New Member

My husband hates to dance but that is because he has no rhythm. He would not stop me enjoying fun though and has always supported the kids and myself. If it wasn't for him dipping in his pockett my kids would never have got to the stage they are at now.