Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Anyone Remember--The original Dance Fever

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Phil Owl, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Wellllllll, you'd be surpriseed my dear Pygmalion. When the show first went on in 1979, it was almost entirely disco, but as the 80's dawned, more and more dance styles got showcased, including latin/salsa, swing, standard and smooth, C&W, freestyle. clogging and some very original stuff (like one couple who did this Arabian thing actually using large scimitars and another who did this hilarious disaster-prone comedy ballroom thing) and more.

One day, I just did a random search for Dance Fever video footage and that came up. I do miss the original show, can't say I was too crazy about the 2003 reality-show take on it (DWTS was infinitely better).

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I wonder why I rarely watched these shows. Maybe 'cause the timeslot, where I lived, was pretty lame, IIRC. Something like 5:30 on Saturday afternoons. So, since I didn't care about dance at the time, I didn't watch.

The lady in this clip has really unattractive legs, from a ballroom perspective. It's pretty interesting that the couple scored so high. I guess the judges didn't know what they were looking at. DWTS, anyone? CarrieAnn (sp?) may be clueless on ballroom, but now we have twenty-year-old evidence that she represents the ordinary person's perspective on ballroom dance. Pretty cool. :)

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

:shock:

4. pygmalion

Yeah. Did you get a gander at her legs? :? And their feet?

But hey. The people watching didn't know, and many were probably impressed enough to go start dancing. Isn't that what it's all about? :cool:

5. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the PURPLE CATSUIT the guy was wearing! OH MY EYES!

Okay, I'm calmer now.

The woman who used to own one of the studios I dance at was on "Dance Fever" once. She was dressed as a cheerleader and danced to "Oh Mickey!"

6. pygmalion

I wasn't gonna go there. Fashions change, after all. :wink: :lol:

7. Laura

Laura New Member

Yes, but that's why they are so fun to snark at. How about that patterned brocade jacket with the HUGE SHOULDER PADS that one of the judges, who a friend just identified as Hope from some soap opera, was wearing?

:)

The lady in purple was certainly very flexible, though.

8. pygmalion

Gotta love the shoulder pads. :lol: Too funny. The last time my parents visited, my Mom brought me a photo of me from that era. Yuck!!! The shoulder pads, big hair, and excessive makeup were ... startling, to say the least. :lol:

9. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

LOL I was thinking it, but waiting to see who would mention the horrifying costumes first. :p

10. Phil Owl

Well, horrifying fashions or not, one thing's for sure, that show did get a lot of people to try dancing in its time, myself included. :mrgreen:

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yep! We did that a lot! The big hair though is what damaged my hair back then! I'm lucky I've got great hair now!!! :D

12. Laura

Laura New Member

I found some pictures of me from 1989 or so. Oy vey. You should see the shoes...black patent leather, extremely poitned toes, the toes capped off with metallic tips, and a series of about six silver buckled straps going up the instep. And the big permed hair, cut short at the sides and fluffy on top. I never got in to the huge amounts of makeup, though.

A while ago a friend pulled out some old tapes of the Ohio Star Ball from the mid-80's. And lo and behold there was Ron Montez, Tony Meredith, and Pierre Allaire all dancing Latin in brightly colored catsuits. Yellow and white was very popular that year. And their partners had on dresses sit higher than the hip (with inset panels of flesh-colored fabric) and loads of metallic lame' ruffles.

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

This is why I wear ballroom shoes that cover up my feet and not the strappy ones lol! ;)

14. Phil Owl

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow, does that bring back memories... totally forgot about that show

whattahoot...

16. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

way back

I co- produced one with Denny Terio, in , I think, 81. I had 3 schools at the time and he approached me to put together location and format ( which he changed !! ) ran into him again in 94, in Clearwater where he was trying to resurect the seventies, by putting on disco events on Sun nites .

The first few weeks, the place was packed !! , then it faded away.
    was strange to listen to all the " oldies ", and kinda sad to see its demise. it did so much for the industry. Also, fun to see people doing latin hustle, which many of the newer folks had never seen .( disco is still big in u.k. !! )

17. Phil Owl

18. Phil Owl

19. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

These sooo make me smile. Especially the one in the 2nd post, I love that they're wearing shower curtains!!

20. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member