Tango Argentino > Videos > "Apologise" - comments?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Dave Bailey, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I didn't really like the song, however my wife heard me playing this video, walked in and loved it. She thinks I should get it so I can play it at our next practica. Now I'll be stuck dancing to this lousy song.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

3. David - do you mean the pop song or the hideous dancing?

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I like the song, but their execution lacked a certain intensity of emotion and expression that I felt the song demands. It felt very restrained compared to the despair I feel in that song. If its going to be restrained it has to be impeccable (and it wasn't quite). A little unbridled passion and flamboyance would gloss over the places where it wasn't completely clean as well as suit the theme.

Of course, all that is just my own opinion of the interpretation. Totally subjective.

I loved that move where he picked her up and went around, ending in a volcada. That was cool. (DC, maybe you compromise with your wife and just learn that move for your next milonga)

5. dchester

I think you've captured the essence of my feelings on the subject.

6. dchester

Could you tell me where it was in the video? I'd prefer not to listen to any more of that song then I really have to.

[​IMG]

7. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

They do it a couple of times at 2:00. Watch with the sound off if you have to. I think the move could be done better, but that's not my point. I like it's potential.

8. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Just looking at it gives me motion sickness (from all the bouncing and jerk- stops) and a neck pain...

9. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

great!

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

+1 :cheers:

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

I don't mind that song. It's not a favorite, but neither do I despise it. I didn't mind their dancing--not great, but not bad. But it just felt...flat. Perhaps they didn't feel that way dancing to it, in which case I'm happy for them (it's really about the two people dancing and not others watching anyhow), but it didn't do much for me in watching it.

It reminds me of the video of...er...Bruno & ??? dancing to "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. Another alternative song, another example of alternative dancing. But in that video, in that performance, in their dancing I feel like the chemistry between them and the emotions are palpable. It looks like they're dancing for each other and themselves, and there's no one else in the room. THAT's what I love to see.

I just didn't get that feeling from this video.

ETA: There was also something in her movements that I didn't care for. I don't know what it was, but something. Although I can say that I did not like some of her leg wraps--the height on them looked forced to me, instead of a natural by-product of a free leg's swing being interrupted.

12. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I agree with zoops and peaches. Good concept, little flat in execution. I think it might be that perhaps this couple is new to performing choreography. There was a couple who rolled through town a year or so ago who had been in Forever Tango. (Great social dancers too, but I digress.) Anyway, when performing they really knew how to project presence and emotion. Even the stuff that clearly couldn't have been lead looked like it was.

13. More than the song itself, the problem for me is the fact that you can tell it's rehearsed. And that they're not very good dancers. And that the song does stink.

14. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

Not sure if I thought the dancing was flat and featureless but the song certainly was, pleasantly anodyne at best. There were very few places where the dancers' movements really expressed anything special happening in the music - it was simply series of flowing moves done to a steady beat. Mostly you could have replaced it with another song of the same mood and tempo without really losing much. They expressed the slowdown at the end quite nicely but then did some Strictlyesque hammed up acting which I didn't care for.
    But I think all this stems from the deficiency of the music rather than the dancers. I personally think I would enjoy dancing like that, regardless of the rubbish music, actually.

15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Bruno & Mariangeles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYxmJ6IP5Q

I think she was quite stiff and too rehearsed.

16. Peaches

Er...do you mean the chica from the "Apologise" video, or Mariangeles? Because I'd agree with the former, but not the latte.r

17. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

sorry, yes former. Mariangeles dances a dream..

18. Peaches

Ah, that makes so much more sense now! :)

When I first read your comment my first thought was that you meant Mariangeles was stiff...and I thought you'd lost your mind.

19. Peaches

Agreed. I have spent a lot of time dancing very much like that (minus the picking up, with or without being swung around in a circle) and it is great fun, allows for a lot of musicality with the movements (particularly to alternative music), and presents a lot of technical challenges which are excellent for developing good technique for traditional dancing.

Sigh...I miss lessons... :sad:

20. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

video looks like a parody

Mariangeless is a goddess and I am in love how she dances :D :D