Salsa > Are salsa dancers bar stupid?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Dec 8, 2003.

1. brujo

brujo New Member

So there are two types of people in salsa bars, the bar guys and the salsa dancers.

The bar guys dress up for the night. The salsa dancers dress up, sometimes - but often they prefer the comfort of their jeans and t-shirt. The bar guy buys beer, shots and cocktails. The salsa dancers drink water, sometimes buying one bottle and refilling it in the bathroom. The bar guy smokes. Salsa dancers, not a chance in hell.

The bar guys go to watch girls, bullshit a little with his friends, see the band. The salsa dancer goes for the 'salsa fix', prefering the songs they are familiar from the DJ rather than the variations that might come from the band.

Salsa dancers resent the bar guys for standing on the crowded dance floor. Salsa dancers resent the bar guys for being drunk. They smell, they grope, they sit around and lead like zoo monkeys.

Most dancers don't see that it is the bar guys that keep the salsa nights alive. They are the ones who tip the bartenders. They are the ones who cheer when the band unleashes a killer descarga.

And believe it or not, some of us bar guys can dance better after a few beers. And we don't really want to compete. We just want to drink and go out and have a jolly good time and maybe get lucky. And as I slowly peel aways all these salsa dancer prejudices I have and become a bar guy, I realize that I'm having the time of my life...

-a bar guy

2. Mich

Mich New Member

Bar guys

Liked your post.

We have to understand that bars and clubs make money off alcohol. If people don't buy drinks, that club might not stay in business. The "free salsa lesson" or swing or tango gets customers in the door.

The bar guys and salsa guys may be two subcultures but there is an inter-dependence which helps make money for the bar.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Wonderful sterotypes brujo. Then there are those that fall somehwere in between. They do have a drink or two, are great dancers, don't grope, like to dress comfortably, but dress up as you rarely see them in jeans and shirt!! :)

4. brujo

brujo New Member

Glad you liked them. I like them better than the beginner / advance stereotypes thrown out there by the salsa gods.

The test is this: if you come into a bar holding your dancing shoes in your hands so you can change into them inside the club, you fall in the 'salsa dancer' category. And no, you can't be a bar guy and a salsa dancer. Try again.

5. Sagitta

And I thought that I could slip in there through the cracks!!! I confess to bringing in my dance shoes, but in a bag, along with notes, water, gum, spare t-shirt...

Problem is I have such small feet that in Ithaca haven't found danceable shoes of the style that suits me. The kids shoes that are available look kiddish!! :(

6. Vin

Vin New Member

I have "salsa" shoes, but I put them on in the car before going in.
    If there is no cover charge I will buy a drink or two. If there is no cover charge and I am not driving I will buy a drink or 5.
    I like to dress up nicely to go dancing. I guess I can go either way by your definitions.
    By the way, salsa dancers, you should still tip the bartender if you are getting water.

7. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Hey, guys! Where do us girls fit in..?

I'm friends with both sides (as long as the bar guys arn't too drunk/sleazy, and the dancers arn't putting me thru a super spin cycle) & I've loooong given up them dance shoes (if Cubanitas can dance like goddesses wearing whatever shoes/no shoes on any surface, why couldn't I at least dance wearing comfy-but-cool street shoes....?!) :wink:

A really successful salsa night when EVERYONE (dancers, bar guys, management, musicians, DJs) is happy, is when the patrons come from both categories in roughly equal numbers. No sleaze/snobs thanks.

I guess my musician brothers are lucky here......salsa dancers AND bar guys (most of them anyway) both cheer for descargas. The band culture here is still storng. Live music is by far more respected than DJs (Melbourne only).

*Guys, get down here & check it out, before it all changes/disappears*

*BTW, we don't have a compulsary tipping systems here. Staffs get a fair wage. Tips are collected annonymously in a jar by the counter & shared between staff at the end of night*

8. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Eye candy for one set, d**n fine partner for the other. The bar I usually go to has a latin night on Thursdays, an otherwise slow evening. I figure that I cheerfully put up with a certain amount of drunk sleazyness in return for the use of the dancefloor, and the bar profits from the drunk sleazes.
    It's also not normal to have to buy bottled water here - there are pitchers and glasses out on the bar and you just help yourself.
    If there's a good band, there's usually a cover charge - that I have no problem with.

Cheers
    Sarah

9. jon

jon Member

What's a "descarga"? Musical term?

10. Sagitta

The place that I go has a drinking fountain. So, it would be kind of odd to tip the bartender when I don't ask him for anything? Wouldn't it.

I'm beginning to come around to that too. The dance floor at the club is really crappy with tons of grit. I started detroying my dance shoes. I think I'm going to put on slip-ons and try it out. With all the grit I'm sure the floor is slippery enough!! We'll see how it goes. :)

11. brujo

brujo New Member

The word in spanish is used for 'download' (as in internet) as well, but a musical descarga is like a heavy metal guitar solo, where the musician goes crazy and unleashes a wave of musical fury onto the unsuspecting audience. It can be the congas, the trumpet or any of the instruments.

12. Salsero_AT

Salsero_AT New Member

It can also have the meaning of "jam session".