General Dance Discussion > Are social dancers intimidated by competitive ones?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by tanya_the_dancer, Dec 18, 2007.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

As I suggested in the other thread, this probably merits a thread of its own. So here is some copy&paste from there:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elisedance
    Thats what we do - try to practice at a social studio - but since we do not have a formal 'home' studio we have to do this at a friendly but not entirely accomodating studio (can't blame them). There seems to be a love-hate relationship between social and competetive dancers. On the one hand, a lot of social dancers seem to love to watch trained dancers on teh floor and we get lots of compliments and encouragement. on the other hand some (a minority) get scared and intimidated when they see a couple bearing down on them at a rate of knots - even if there is no danger of a collision. Thus, sometimes there are complaints. I wish the social studios would have at least the occasional dance where just competitors and the stronger social dancers were invited on the floor - they could call it a 'showcase dance'. It would benefit all...

Actually, I think I am going to suggest that the next time I am there...
    end quote

You know, this probably merits a whole thread of its own: to what extent social dancers are intimidated by competitive ones? I had a lesson the other day and we shared the floor with one other teacher working with a social couple, and at one point I think they were not too happy when they were doing foxtrot and I was doing foxtrot with my teacher, and ours looked a lot different than theirs.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

moderator note:...this subject has had a history of becoming inflammatory....let us make sure that it doesn't...thanks and happy holidays ;)

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Thanks, F.

Speaking only for myself...hell yes. Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, yes.

Not so much from a getting mowed down on the floor standpoint (although I'll admit to cringing and flinching), but purely from a personal insecurity/self esteem standpoint. Nothing like being amongst competitive dancers to take the ego down quite a few pegs, and undo most of any progress made on that front in the AT realm.

But that's just my insecurity, and nothing that any competitive dancer should be concerned about. It's entirely my issue to deal with, not theirs. (I'd just ask/trust them to have good enough floorcraft to not run me over, is all. Don't think that's too much to ask.)

4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

At some places I've been to, the showcase performances were ordered from less experienced to more experienced, so there was less contrast between consecutive performances. I think that sort of helps with self-esteem issues.

5. kayak

kayak Active Member

I only felt uncomfortable at the very beginning stages. Since I hardly knew where I was, I didn't feel comfortable knowing where the better dancers would be going. Nice words either as they danced past or after the dance as we were leaving the floor really made a huge difference in my confidence. Now that I'm better, I always try to pass on the same good will.

It doesn't stress me that lots of dancers know way more than I do. I dance better than I ever even imagined being able to. There is lots and lots to learn. So I just try new stuff as I learn it. After messing it up 5 million times, it suddenly becomes easy :D

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think some less experienced dancers are intimidated by some more experienced dancers, social or competitive having nothing to do with it. "Competitive" doesn't neccesarily mean "better." I would say my husband and I are better dancers than quite a few competitive couples in the area that show up at the occasional social. And I know one other primarily social couple that is a LOT better than a lot of the competitive couples in the area.
    As far as barreling down the floor, I do get annoyed with a few competitive couples mowing down the floor, because they have NO FLOORCRAFT and can't veer off their routine. That wouldn't be because I'm intimidated by them, but because I think they have things they need to work on before they get on a social floor. I'd be happy for them to have a competitive couple only social to go to, so they aren't making a mess of our floor!

7. fascination

very good points and distinctions

8. Peaches

True. And to some of us it doesn't matter. Competitive is still more intimidating.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

To make it worse from that point of view, part of the object of competitive dancing IS to be intimidating - you are trying to intimidate the competition with your superior skills, confidence, expression etc etc. Perhaps competitive dancers would be more easily accepted on the social floor if they left that aspect out even if they are dancing full tilt.

10. fascination

hmmm...I have honestly never considered that to be part of my goal...I want my dancing to beat them not my potential at mind games

11. Peaches

Why should they leave it out just b/c some of us have confidence issues? Again...it's not their problem.

Like I said, the only thing I ask is that they put their superior dance skills towards floorcraft, so I don't get run over.

12. fascination

frankly my only mental condition is enough of a chore without tryin' to mess w/ theirs...plus, I would feel guilty for that sort of behavior...and I have enough guilt already

13. Peaches

I don't see that it's anything to feel guilty about. From what I gather, competition is as much about performing as it is about dancing. Part of that performance is, I would imagine, walking out projecting confidence. How others interpret it is up to them.

14. fascination

walking out projecting confidence for my own sake is one thing...doing anything to deliberately intimidate someone else is, IMO, not acceptable

15. Peaches

*shrug* Would seem to be a matter of intent, but the end result (confidence projection) the same.

16. fascination

well...how we feel about ourselves is a factor...and I can't dance well if I have guilt or some other negative thing going on...now confidence...THAT is a keeper

17. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

There is a time and a place for everything. A lot of the performance factor that belongs on the competition floor has no business on the social floor. And that has nothing to do with the confidence of others. It has to do with the fact that a social dance is not a competition, nor a performance. It is by definition, social.

18. fascination

true...simply not possible to do unless you want to cause someone else serious injury

19. Peaches

Well, yeah. Keeping your arm styling to yourself comes to mind, as does being considerate of other dancers around you. Maybe that means dancing smaller, or what-have-you. But if you're talking about...what were we talking about?...hold a moment..."superior skills, confidence, expression " then there's nothing there that'll get in the way of social dancing. Sure, you might look like a dork doing expressive comp emoting on a social floor...but if that doesn't bother you, knock yourself out.

20. fascination

don't even get me started on emoting...another conversation over lemon water