General Dance Discussion > Are social dancers intimidated by competitive ones?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by tanya_the_dancer, Dec 18, 2007.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Fasc, it's Million Dollar Baby. Now that you've said that, may avhe to dig that dvd out again.

Heh, and I don't dance from heart or guts, which is why I have pro to tell me to quit being timid on th efloor. :/

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yea...that's it...he is referring to that young gawky kid

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Just dance from the head and gradually work your way down :cool:

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, yeah, I got the head part down. That's why I get the "What are you thinking?" "I can see you thinking" etc. :) And not just from pro, but from my regular partners too. :)

5. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

That's kind of my problem too, I try to be too technical then I realize I need to just relax and not think about every little thing, because I know it, now I just need to let go and do it. This usually only happens when I dance with my teacher though because I want to look good.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I get "Stop thinking!" from my Smooth/Standard pro. I get that a lot.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Got it the other day in my AT lesson. Was complimented on doing something well...and then it was followed up by him telling me to do it again, except with good technique so it just happened, instead of me thinking about it and analyzing it and then doing it. *sigh*

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Oh, really? :raisebro:

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

hahah, was REALLY hard for me not to comment on that one when she said it yesterday. :)

10. fascination

:cool:I was referring to Peaches of course;)

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Riiiiiight, Mrs. Tequila Makes My Clothes Fall Off.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Better not drink and drive then...

13. fascination

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I had this problem at my work holiday party! What was worse is that I realized it's very hard for me to not want to partner dance during any kind of dance music now. I'm not even sure that I can go back to solo dancing. It feels a bit weird for me lol! ;)

15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Guts is more primal and involves more or other emotions; heart is something purer
    maybe an analogy would be musical;

heart would be a pure note
    guts would be a more complex chord harmony or even disharmony

16. fascination

meh...I think for me it is that "gut" is a steady reliable space, not so fragile, more confident....a heart can be broken far more easily...so dancing from my gut, my determined space, tends to be a space of strength...alot of it comes from the concept of the enneagram, if anyone has ever done it...alot like the meyers-briggs

17. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

When we go social dancing, we don't do our routines at all. It just doesn't work, especially at a crowded party (especially ballroom, less latin). An experienced competitive couple can dance with good floorcraft, whether that be at a party or a competition.

There truly are some great social dancers that could surely compete and do well.

18. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

Having danced socially for 6.5 years. I have not had a problem with competitive dancers or social dancers who move the way you are suppose to on a dance floor. Full sized movement with proper technique, gives people a lot of control over their movement and rarely do they cause problems. Problem is certain people, who think collision avoidance is every else's responsibility. Fortunately these people usually quit coming after getting a lot of glares from other dancers.