Dance Articles > Are the Olympics ready for ... pole dancing?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear god....shoot me now.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sounds funny. thing is... it's ridiculously athletic. :)

those ladies have abs of... well, what's stronger than steel? and they squeeze the pole with their bare skin, stopping themselves after long drops. the good stuff is pretty amazing to behold.

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

RIDICULOUSLY athletic. Difficult. Beyond challenging.

more so than hooping;)

5. Terpsichorean Clod

In order to avoid the marginalization that has occurred in ski jumping, I am willing to be an advocate for the male athletes of this sport.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that would be very interesting to see, lol.

7. j_alexandra

ttiuwp

just sayin', TC...;)

8. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

i took a pole dancing class once.... thought I'd have a head start bc I have training in ballet/modern/jazz/ballroom/you name it. Oh lord, did I wake up sore.

There is this woman... her name is Felix.. a world champion pole dancer... OMG she is incredible. I actually showed her vid to my parents and their jaws just hit the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWf60ln8II&feature=related

It's like gymnastics combined with ballet, eight feet (at least) off the ground on a pole!!!

9. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

ps the beginning minute and a half-ish is just her playing to the audience and being ridiculously hot... so don't turn off the vid just bc the beginning is no tricks and being sexy bc when her routine starts (with the goo goo dolls song) you will be like OMG :shock:

I almost fell out of my chair!!!

*Edit* Now I've gone and made myself watch all these vids... this one is nice too.. she actually does more tricks since it's her competing routine not a showcase... it's pretty awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3i7dGwQboI&feature=related... alright, gonna stop posting pole dance vids now LOL

10. j_alexandra

dear sweet heaven, what strength.

awesome.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

when i get good at both i'll let you know which is harder... ;)
    (don't hold breath, pleez... but that should be obvious :))

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I've taken pole classes. I've gotten more bruises, blisters, and sore muscles from it than from any other sport (discounting riding, where the injuries are more spectacular but less frequent.) AWESOME upper body/core workout, and it was kind of cool--I was the kid who could not climb the rope in gym, but after a couple weeks of trying I managed the pole.

I'm not sure the Olympics are ready for dancesport, let alone pole dancing, though.

13. Terpsichorean Clod

Thanks for turning this into a useful thread, DanceJoy. ;)

14. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

if only I knew what ttiuwp stood for, I would totally have a response right now LOL.

15. RickRS

RickRS Member

I has to ask just a couple of days ago, so sharing my newfound knowledge:

this thread is useless without pictures

;)

16. RickRS

RickRS Member

Interesting that some guys have been misjudged all this time. They weren't dirty old men hanging 'round the stripclub, but instead full of respect for this display of athletic prowess....;)

While pole dancing is clearly a form of athletic display, as something typically encountered at a "gentlemens' club", it will be tough to get any respect from the Olympic committee.

17. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

ahhh then I guess I just made this thread very useful by providing video?

18. Terpsichorean Clod

19. davedove

davedove Active Member

I'll agree that it will tend to have a hard time getting respect due to it's origins. However, there is at least as much athletic ability associated with pole dancing as there is with the balance beam.

20. Terpsichorean Clod

Aerial silk comes to mind. :)