Dance Articles > Are the Olympics ready for ... pole dancing?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Mar 6, 2010.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

TC, I think this is the most I have ever seen you post in a single thread. ;)

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:uplaugh:

3. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Not sure what's more amazing: the video or the part about you showing a pole-dancing video to your parents, lol:) That's pretty awkward viewing to say the least!

4. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

I will join you! (secretly I've always wanted to give it a go for some bizarre reason) We need a name for our act though?

Flashpants feat.TotallyCool (to protect the innocent from knowing who we are!)

?

5. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

naw they appreciated it for the athleticism required.... they thought it was really cool... not awkward at all. maybe I just have liberal parents lol because we were also watching belly dancing videos and my mom commented on how "that girl was just moving her boobies around independently from the rest of her body"... my dad was impressed as well.

6. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

OMG thank you for the posts, i had no idea how athletic and beautiful it is. whaoo!!! i am voting to add this to olympics

7. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

V impressive considering a lot of us can't move our legs and not move our arms and vice versa lol

8. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

youtube "sadie bellydance" and those were the videos that we were watching... I would post a link here but I think I just hijacked the thread enough.

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan, Flashpants! I'm in! ;)

10. Terpsichorean Clod

I think you should continue making this thread more useful. ;)

11. Terpsichorean Clod

:oops:

12. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

well since a moderator told me I could...

These were the videos I showed my parents:
    Drum Solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YamDoDK71Ds
    Montage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbjafuOVizs
    2:53 is the move that prompted my mother to comment on her boobie moving ability lol

here are two other videos I found... both are equally mesmerizing... the first :shock: I think she is an alien!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FzDXvYAKEA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CvPakc2s8

13. Terpsichorean Clod

:shock:
    :shock::shock:

Thanks for sharing, DanceJoy!

Now I want a tailsuit with tassels...

14. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

can you imagine her doing samba???? i mean, I know 2 different dance styles, but jeez with her isolation abilities she would do some craaaazy stuff!!

I actually once studied Laban Movement Analysis, and I was watching her videos for my final project (comparing to irish step dancing)... it is pretty fascinating how they get the hips to move by pushing their weight into the floor through their legs (rather than using the abdomen muscles to pull the hips up if that makes any sense).. that frees the muscles in the abdomen to move her chest around or do the flutters.. thus, she is able to isolate her hip action from the action in the rest of the torso.

sorry for the info overload and way off topic-ness!!!! I couldn't resist... she fascinates me!!!

15. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Its only a NO step and a Jump from Pole vaulting :rolleyes:

16. Terpsichorean Clod

:shock: I would lose my eyeballs. :razz:

17. Terpsichorean Clod

lol!

18. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

I think that my jaw would be permanently attached to the floor afterwards!!!

Methinks this is TC's favorite thread ;)

19. Br0nze

Br0nze Active Member

I have a friend who does this style of dance; she is only starting out, but she is awesome to watch. It's only a matter of time before she gets ridiculously good. She gave Ballroom a try, but sad to say, that infatuation did not last.

Having said that, this is a ridiculously athletic endeavor. If what we consider what we [Ballroom dancers/hip hoppers/modern dancers] do challenging and demanding, this is a step beyond it. This is acrobatics, yoga, pilates, gymnastics and dance rolled into one thing, for lack of other words. It's... sick... in a good way.

In terms of it becoming an Olympic sport, I doubt it ever will. The whole pole and half-naked aspect of it would have to change, and that would change what the sport is about... which means it loses its uniqueness.

Just my .02.

20. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

actually, they would need to keep the nakedness because you need the bare skin to maintain friction on the pole or else you would never be able to hang on. Of course, if they got rid of the pole, then they wouldn't need the friction. But then they would just be rolling around on the floor, which wouldn't be nearly as cool lol

That being said, I don't know what the purpose is for the high heels....