Dance Articles > Are the Olympics ready for ... pole dancing?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Mar 6, 2010.

1. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

LOL!

Yeah, I have taken pole dancing classes before... it is super hard to hold yourself up on a pole with just your bare skin!! I was so sore and bruised afterwards.

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

I just can't wrap my brain around how there is not too much friction that one can spin on the pole, yet just enough friction that one doesn't keep sliding all the way down. :confused:

Anyway, aren't you going to share some videos? :raisebro:

3. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

I guess that's why you get so many bruises in the beginning. And why it's such a good muscular workout because you have to squeeze the pole in order to stay up.

hahahahaha!!! honestly, my pole dancing experience is pretty limited, so it wouldn't be too exciting to watch... I can count the number of classes I have taken on one hand. I know how to do a few different spins, and I can kind of hang there like a traumatized monkey LOL. That man that you posted is much more capable than me, even if I might look cuter in the spandex shorts.

4. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

Wooh, your theory is certainly looking to be proven as fact ;)

5. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Olympics? A stripper thing? No effing way!!

6. Terpsichorean Clod

I'm guessing it must take some time (and ice!) to figure out how hard to squeeze in order to spin and stay up.
    You should definitely post some video. I think a traumatized monkey in spandex shorts could get a lot of views on Youtube. :razz:

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Eh.

It's certainly athletic enough to put it on par with plenty of other Olympic
    sports, if not more than others. It's no more subjective than plenty of other sports. The costumes can't be that much more revealing than some of the others. (Men's diving, anyone? It's not like there's significantly more coverage from an itty-bitty speedo than there is with other things. Besides, the Olympics were orignally nekkid sporting events. Hell, have you noticed any number of Latin costumes out there?).

As for the stripper aspect of it...well, a job is a job. Consenting adults and all that. Nothing wrong with a beautiful body. And if you remove the pole dancing=stripping link, than it's just an amazing physical activity.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OMG. She is beautiful. And those isolations!

I think one of the things I appreciate (as a straight girl, just to put it out there), is the blatant, yet beautiful and elegant sexuality of it. She is obviously showing off a gorgeous body. She, and others, are obviously delighting in it. And enjoying the musical expression that can be achieved with her body. And I think that's beautiful. Just the idea of seeing the a beautiful female body enjoyed, on both a sexual and artistic level of some/varying sorts, without crassness or degradation or humiliation. That's beautiful. A celebration of beautiful sexuality, without shame. It seems so rare...which is a shame...because it is beautiful.

ETA: And talented. For my SIL's bachelorette party we started off with a private belly-dance lesson for the group of us, and it was freakin' hard as hell. As difficult and as athletic as any Standard lesson.

9. Terpsichorean Clod

San Francisco Chronicle article on U.S. Pole Dance Federation West Coast Regional Competition

10. roxie333

roxie333 New Member

I know in gymnastics, a lot of athletes use talc powder when performing. Can pole dancers use talc powder as well or will that make the pole too slippery?

11. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

there's a joke in there somewhere...

12. GoldStar

GoldStar Member

Exactly. :notworth:

13. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

The last type of dancing I will try. I am not friendly with a pole at all since my school years. Just terrible with all kinds of pole exercises. It seems I have extra gravity working towards my body. :roll:

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Meet the Portable Pole Dancer

15. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

TC just cannot keep away from this thread ;)

16. Terpsichorean Clod

:oops:

Nice to see you back!

17. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

haha... I never went anywhere... I have just been a serial lurker lately ;) I have been really busy.

18. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

19. Dupree

Dupree New Member

LOl Hey, if males are allowed to join. Then I would do anything for the gold!