Tango Argentino > Videos > Are they really dancing tango in this video?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by jantango, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

Thats a bad sign :(.

This was intended to be mostly tongue-in-cheek. I am a big fan of traditional tango music - actually i tend to not dance to most alternative tango because it lacks the multi-layeredness needed to make it interesting for me as a leader. And people who treat the music as little more than a metronome are in my opinion not really dancing. But - and this is a big but - for me tango exists in the way the music and the dance combine to a whole. I would have wholeheartedly agreed with the OP just for the written work, but i found the examples chosen jarring - i mean, the denver tango festival? el pulpo? Denver is quite serious in trying to be about good, traditional tango, and from his workshops i get the impression that el pulpo is quite aware and able in the traditional style - while i dance almost none of the vocabulary he presented there i learned a lot of things that have informed my tango since then. This might be aggravated by the fact that i read this at work - i.e. i have no sound. I have seen a whole lot of dancign that was a whole lot less tango.
    So i was trying to present a mirror of how i percieved the post - a perfectly reasonable - if a tad overly polemic - argument paired with a video that undermines the main message. I actually really believe (if not quite that rabidly) that tango without the music is quite pointless - and one of my goals has always been that i hope my dancing would passess the "no sound" test - if somebody watched me dance without sound like i do, they should have at least some idea of what the song was like, and think that i do dance tango.

Gssh

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Why bother asking if you've already formed your opinion?

Sure. It's tango. Who cares? I'm sure they consider themselves to be dancing tango. It's got AT embrace, it's got the general everything of the dance--if you listen to it with the music off, you'd never know it was anything other than traditional AT. Hell, they even have the lights up, like they're "supposed" to be doing. Waddaya know!

Edit to add: Love the second video. Yeah, I'd even call it tango. Good music, a challenge of a dance, and just fun. I like my dances fun, and I love to laugh when I dance. Sometimes.

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, this was how I took it (however, lots of people don't get my humor/sarcasm either).

4. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

I guess that is the risk of trying to be funny in a written medium - no body language to make clear that one is fooling around.

Apologies to anybody that might have taken offense.

Gssh

5. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I always assume people who are being outrageous are trying to be funny, but even being English (ie programmed to assume people are winding you up) I cant always tell the difference... :)

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I didn't realize it was tongue-in-cheek until I clicked on the link. Then I laughed my butt off. :)

7. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

D'Arienzo's up now... :D

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Is the flower qualified to demonstrate tango? I'm going to report it to the RHS!

9. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Far more so than the average teacher, I'd say... ;)

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

are you calling me a pansy???

11. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

No, I'm sure you're not an average teacher :notworth:

12. taylor1990

taylor1990 New Member

Okay, just because the music is not a traditional tango, does not mean that you can't dance tango to it. So many people feel that they can't dance a certain dance unless they're doing it to the traditional music of the dance. These two are doing a tango, it's just to rock n' roll music. I think they do look like they are enjoying themselves. Most dances are danced in 2/4 or 4/4 timing so you are actually able to dance most dances to most types of music. I wish more people would have a better understanding of this.

13. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

In Jan's defence, she's been quite clear that she has a precise definition of "tango".

I don't agree with that definition - I think it's too strict. But it does have the benefit of clarity and simplicity.

Whereas, otherwise, we have to have a large spectrum, going from "pure tango in close hold done to traditional tango music in BsAs" at one extreme, to "Salsa with occasional enrosques" at the other end.

(Encompassing "nuevo tango moves", "Tango moves done to non-Tango music","fusions of Tango and other dance forms" on the way).

And at some point in that spectrum, all of us would draw a line to say "Nope, that's not tango".

So basically all we're discussing is where we personally have that particular "is / is not tango" line.

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

But the Swango people aren't claiming that it's tango.

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

It's an example, OK?

Blimey... :rolleyes: