Swing Discussion Boards > Are You Showing Off???

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We've come pretty close to this topic when it was "Is the lead the same in social dancing as it is in competition?" But, if many are convinced that the lead IS different . . . ," My question is:

How is your attitude when dancing???

You know what I mean . . . let's say your are dancing, and if you are the leader and you have a good follower, what are you doing? Are you dancing with that person?

How about if you are dancing, and you hear some "buzzing" going on in the corner, and a couple of girls are staring and pointing at you . . . like "Oh, watch him dance. He's so good!"

Now . . . where is your attitude? Your head? Are you still dancing with the one you took out on the floor?

Or . . . are you know showing off???

I know some of us like to show off, yet many get beyond this. I have been guilty of this, but . . . now???

What are you doing? Maybe your attitude is affecting your lead.

The same question applies to followers, except obviously, reverse the situation!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, and yes.

-FF ;)

3. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Sometimes when we are out dancing at clubs, we notice lots of people watching us. Sometimes they even applaude when we're done, like they've never seen swing dancers before. My b/f loves showing off, but it really unnerves me. I'm much more comfortable when we're not the center of attention.

4. d nice

d nice New Member

Lindy Hop is a showy dance. It's hard not to be dancing to good swing music and doing the Lindy Hop, and not be showey.

As to attitude... My goal on the floor is to have the most exciting dance I can with my partner, every single time. So there is definitely some showing off that happens... but I try and keep it pure when social dancing... meaning for me that my showing off is for my partner and because she and the music inspire me.

Last night my friend Audrey said after one of our dances, "That was the best floorgasm I've had in a long time!" (emphasis hers)

That is the reaction I want from my partner and why I push myself on the social floor.

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

The only showing of I may have done was for my partner not for any audience I may or may not have... I don't recall being watched.

I do remember dancing with leads where I felt like an accessory, that is anything but fun! There's a part of me that just makes me want to stand still say, "you're not dancing with me," and clamly turn and walk away. I've never done this and doubt that I ever will but it certainly crosses my mind on occasion that's for sure!

I've even had leads carry on conversations with people off the dance floor while dancing with me! I don't know if that's showing off but it certainly let's me know he does not value our dance.

6. dancergal

dancergal New Member

ooooohhhh! I like that saying d-nice. I'll have to remember that one. :D

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I like it too Damon . . . mind if I borrow it from time-to-time???

Pam, I liked that little "ooooohhhh!"

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Floorgasm? So that's what you're calling it these days? Sounds good to me. :wink:

I don't think of myself as showing off much, but I get compliments very often from people who watch while I'm dancing, so I must be doing something showy. For me, it's all about having fun, and when I'm having fun it's like the dance floor belongs to me and my partner. Anybody who wants to watch is welcome to do so, but I only have eyes for my partner and want to make sure he's having fun, too.