Tango Argentino > Argentina's money woes make AT more popular?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Apr 10, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Argentina is, sadly, suffering severe economic depression, but what effect does that have on the tango, the nation's heart and soul, I wonder?

I was thinking about how movie attendence increases markedly during Depressions because people want to escape, but given the increasing unemployment, rising poverty levels and inflation in Argentina, how is tango affected?

Is there more dancing because people need an escape or is there less because Argentinians wish to keep their time and money for less "frivolous" things? Do any of our well-travelled members know or perhaps you've heard something anecdotally?

Do we have Argentinian members who might have something to add?

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is cheaper to live and learn dance there if one is a foreigner? Then this might be the time for those of us outside Argentina to go and learn the dance in the homeland?

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I could have sworn I saw an article abuot that somewhere. I'll have to google it. But yes, if I remember correctly, the article taked about the politica and economic upheaval (s) in Argentina throughout this century, and how they've helped to fuel the passion behind tango.

And, oh, btw, if the currency there is weak, I guess that would make it more likely that folks could afford to travel there to study or just dance. 8)

4. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Pygmalion use Google? Surely you jest? :lol:

5. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I did find this this, however.

It's a first-hand account by Brooke Burdett, an "American and an Argentine tango dancer and instructor who has lived in Buenos Aires for the past five years".

Argentina's Economic Crisis and Tango

Given the great number of people in the Chicago area who, over the last few months, have been making their first trips to Buenos Aires, we've been eager to find materials that would give them some sense for how the current uncertainties of Argentina's economy might impact their trip. Last month's piece by Kara Wenham began this series of reports. In a similar vein, we discovered a superb article addressing just this question at Stephen Brown’s website, Tango Argentino de Tejas with the following article by Brooke Burdett. Special thanks go to Stephen Brown for his permission to reprint Brooke's article in the newsletter this month.

It's true that Argentina is in economic crisis, and the reverberations of the crisis are felt in every place, in every person, in every moment. Foreign visitors will certainly see the eroding effects the crisis has had on local Argentines, but this needn't prevent them from having an enjoyable vacation. For tourists, the advantages of visiting Argentina far outweigh the disadvantages. The advantage is mostly due to the devaluation of the Argentine peso and the fact that the price of food, clothes, taxis and some lodging are one-third or less than what they would be in dollars. Imagine buying a pair of tango shoes for US $20.

Some Safety Precautions

While I recommend visiting Argentina, Buenos Aires is somewhat more dangerous than it used to be. I used to feel fairly safe walking around by myself and waiting for the bus at 3 a.m. on a weekday. Now, I would only do that if I had to - for instance, if I didn't have taxi money. The streets are a little less safe simply because there are fewer people out late at night, and there are more impoverished and hungry people in the country and in Buenos Aires.

Be sensible under these circumstances-don't walk around alone at 3 a.m. For foreigners, taxis are very inexpensive, and taking one to and from destinations is probably the safest route late at night. I have read in the newspapers that there have been situations where taxi drivers and accomplices have robbed passengers. However, the number of times I have heard of this happening is minuscule compared to the number of people taking taxis every day and night without problems.

I think that the likelihood of being assaulted or robbed in a taxi scam is very low for most foreign tango tourists with some urban awareness. For example, don't take a taxi sitting outside on the street if you have just walked out of a bank, an American Express office, or any place where you might be getting or changing money. In general, it's best to hail a moving taxi rather than one that's sitting, unless it's a taxi sitting outside a milonga. The milongas have taxi drivers who work for them and those drivers are trustworthy. If you are going out at night from a home, hotel or somewhere where there is a phone, calling a radio taxi is the safest option.

Keep in mind that phones generally are not available for public use in most places. As a tourist, if you use your street smarts and keep a low profile-don't wear fancy jewelry or fur coats, and don't flash wads of cash-then the danger index for you is low. If you're concerned about political uprising- well, the likelihood of one occurring is very low. At most, you might see some demonstrations. If you do, the best thing to do is stay away from them to avoid any complications. The city is big enough that you should be able to do so.

The Good News

The plus for tourists who visit now is the strength of the dollar. Even though inflation is occurring, prices in Argentine pesos still end up costing less for tourists with U.S. dollars or any currency of similar value. Priced in foreign currency, clothes, restaurants and shoes(!) are all one-third less than what they used to be. From what I can see, tango shoes here are still sold in pesos.

It seems, however, that tango housing and hotels remain in dollars, but prices are certainly reasonable. You also will be asked to pay in dollars for private tango lessons with many teachers - especially those who are more well-known - and the fee will be the same amount you would pay in the United States. Group classes, however, are priced in Argentine pesos and are extremely inexpensive when compared to those in the United States.

The Effect on the Tango Scene

How has the local tango scene been affected by the crisis? Unemployment, inflation, and the increasing number of people living under the poverty level (at least half the population) will no doubt affect any country's social environment. But in the tango scene and the milongas, the effects are not that obvious. Someone coming here for the first time would never know the difference. Yes, the tango magazines are thinner and harder to come by. Some locals will choose a night or two to go out (probably on the weekend) as opposed to going out every night. But, really, the only locals who ever went out every night anyway were newer dancers in their fanatic stage or people who got free admission. The latter people still get free admission, and you'll still see them in the milongas.

There are plenty of milongas, and the ones I have attended recently have been very crowded. Some milongas have closed; others have opened-nothing radically different from my experience during the past five years I've lived here. For me, one of the most distressing effects of the economic decline on tango is that many of the best dancers have disappeared from the scene because they have been forced to look for opportunity abroad. But, I find that the level and variety of dancing here is still higher here than in most U.S. cities.

Regardless of how many people are in the milongas and what the level of dancing is, Buenos Aires will always remain the heart and soul of the tango. What one experiences here is unparalleled to the tango experience anywhere else in the world. Economic crisis is part of it, and I encourage foreigners to come here and talk to the local people-ask them what is going on and how it is affecting them. In tango's history, Argentina has gone through both good and bad times- and all of it has been reflected in tango's lyrics, music and dance.