Tango Argentino > "Argentine" or "Argentinian"

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, May 25, 2007.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Is it "Argentine Tango" or "Argentinian Tango"?

Can't remember if I've asked this before - apologies if so...

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Argentine.

The people are Argentines, the dance is Argentine tango.

As far as I know, Argentinian isn't ever used for anything.

3. spectator

spectator Member

argentine is a noun, but in the UK we use Argentinean as the adjective. Example: Agentinean "star" Carlos Tevez at West Ham. Argentinean Warship the Belgrano etc. US and UK standard English have differing systems for things like that i think.

4. Peaches

More importantly, imo, is that the Argentines use "Argentine" as an adjective. Well, not really. Argentino...closer to "argentine" than "argentinian." And easier to type and say.

5. Me

Me New Member

Yeah I've only heard the British say 'Argentinian.' A ballroom nimrod around here who thinks he's in the know teaches 'Argenteenian' tango, and straight from the DVIDA videos no less.

But then again, he uses double negatives and says ain't all the time. :doh:

6. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Interesting, didn't know it was a British thing and had kind of wondered about it myself. I think I would say "Argentinian". But probably "Argentine tango" as a phrase.

7. spectator

spectator Member

It is 'Argentine Tango' because it is called "Argentine tango" by us to differentiate it from ballroom Tango. In Argentina they don't call it Argentine Tango, they call it "Tango" because it doesn't need a qualifier.

What we call things from other countries comes from what we call the countries for example we don't call french things "francais" or German things "Deutsch". Like I said though it is a historical thing I know people who still say "Rhodesian". In the US you are almost entirely immigrant populations so it seems more natural that groups would refer to things in their original language out of habit, or find something as close as possible to it. But I would imagine if you spoke to an old Virginia family they would use the Anglicised version.

BTW has anyone heard Carlos Tevez's band?? I want to know if it would be entertaining to use his songs at a Milonga as a cortina or something. It's not Tango music as far as I know...

8. spectator

spectator Member

We say potatoe, you say potatoe, Autumn, Fall, trousers, pants etc etc

9. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I don't think "Argentine" is closer than "Argentinian" to the Spanish "Argentino". In writing sure, but spoken the British version is surely closer.

... unless you pronounce the "-tine" [ti:n] rather than [tain]???

Shall we have a British vs US English contest? :)

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

trousers/pants and fall in the same sentence? a freudian slip??:wink:

11. spectator

spectator Member

reminds me of that old harvest time rhyme:
    Berries ripe,
    nuts be brown,
    petticoats up,
    trousers down.

12. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I wonder what they're alluding to... Hmmmm :rolleyes:

13. mikex1337

mikex1337 New Member

In Texas it's definitely Argentinian Tango. But I heard that in New York they call it something different. The source of the argument is unclear.

14. bastet

bastet Active Member

I live in TX and have never heard Argentinean used here in any of the cities I've gone to dance or have class...hmmm, intruiging. The only time I have ever heard it used was watching a British "Dancing with the Stars" type show. Mostly, I just say Tango, as anyone who knows me knows I don't mean ballroom. If I think I need to qualify it, then I say Argentine.

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

:D So many replies...

I think I use Argentine, or "AT", or "Tango" - depends, I guess.

Personally, I'd rather call it "Tango", and let the Ballroom Tango-ers distinguish themselves from the original rather than the other way around, but that's probably just being petty.

Interesting info about the British / American English difference, however, thanks for that.

16. spectator

spectator Member

isn't a difference we both call it Agentine Tango because the whole thing is a noun.
    It's the descriprive form that is different. argentine tango danced by argentinean dancers.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sounds like an aluminum/aluminium sorta thing...

18. spectator

spectator Member

and what's with pronouncing nuclear "noocleer" or "noocular"? but that may be just Bush because he don't understand the words he's reading off the autocue...

19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Or argentines, even? :)

20. Peaches

Ignorance.

Same way that "library" gets pronounced "lie-bary." (Sorry, personal pet peeve.)