Tango Argentino > "Argentine" or "Argentinian"

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, May 25, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'd fit your definition of "experienced AT dancer" but oh well.

I started out with ballroom, and learned the beginnings of ballroom tango before I ever tried AT. I used to really like ballroom tango, now it's just OK. Which isn't to say that I dislike it--it's enjoyable with a good leader, and it has its own feel to it. But, IMHO, it feels sterile, and stilted, and kinda funny. Some things I find downright hilarious, but also really annoying at the same time.

It's like an entire dance where the couple is like, "Look at us! See how passionate we are! Did you see that? Did you see the passion? Wait, I'll do it again. That was so passionate! I love her, I hate her, I love her, i hate her." And what drives me nuts is the idea that that sort of thing comes from AT. When anyone who dances AT knows that, generally, it has nothing to do with showing off, or being passionate, or what have you. It's about expressing the music, and the focus is on your partner and yourself. I guess, the connection and any emotion feels genuine, instead of for show.

It also drives me nuts when ballroom tango is danced to traditional AT tunes that have been ballroom-ized (aka, made hideous). Get your own damn music! Besides, it tweaks my brain to listen to Libertango and take all of the freedom that that music represents and stifle it and stuff it into little 8-count blocks. Drives me nuts.

Not that I have strong opinions on the subject or anything! ;-) :D

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

We could never accuse you of that!

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Argentine can be used as a noun or an adjective. You had me thinking I didn't know my grammar, for a minute.
    :eek:

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/argentine?view=uk

Argentine

noun & [SIZE=-1]adjective[/SIZE] another term for [SIZE=-1]ARGENTINIAN[/SIZE].

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Argentine

Main Entry:1ar·gen·tinePronunciation:\ˈär-jən-ˌtīn, -ˌtēn\ Function:adjective

4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Just resurrecting this one again - I noticed that some people call it "Argenteen" and some call it "Argentine" - anyone know what's the correct prononciation, or does it not matter?

5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Argentine (...teen) is correct. Period. The Brits, and colonies, are the only ones who say Ar...(t-I-ne). As a reference, they also say Sam-like ham-ba, Mam-like ham-bo, and Pas-like lass-o Doble. All incorrect, but understood and accepted as a matter of linguistic differences.

6. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I've noticed that too. Personally I would never say -een, so I guess I've mainly heard -ine.

7. Twirly

Twirly New Member

So it's only correct to say -een? And the "only ones" who say -ine are the brits and the colonies. So that means that all those other English speaking countries in the world say "-een" and that must be correct? I'm confused.

Could you explain the differences here a bit further, thanks!

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

So, the only English-speaking people who say "Ine" are the ones who were colonised by Britain? As opposed to all those English-speaking countries who weren't colonised by Britain... err... :confused:

EDIT: blast, Twirly beat me to it...

I guess it's just a regional thing, personally I think "teen" is a bit weird, but it may be appropriate in the USA or elsewhere.

9. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

We already did-- and we lost !!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

10. tangotime

Recuerdos -- its SPANISH -- as in eeraq -NOT eye raq -- the English have a habit of " selective " pronunciation--- heres an easier one for you-- San Isidro ( ee seedro ) comprender senor ?

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Exactly. (Lol in the Iraq thing...that drives me nuts.)

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

When you go to BsAs, are you visiting Argent-eye-na? :rolleyes:

13. tangotime

Very funny :)

14. tangotime

Dont even get me started on reporters-- my fave right now :)mad: )--

House- ton-- these people actually spent time in school ???

15. Twirly

Twirly New Member

It's not Spanish, it's English. Imported words are generally adjusted and pronounced according to standard patterns of each language. "Argentine" is not Spanish like "Argentino" or "Argentina".

16. tangotime

You are speaking in the vernacular-- the Q was as I undersatnd it -- what do the people of Argentina say

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Nope, that's Argenteena, definitely.

I assume that Argenteen is USA prononciation, and Argentine is UK?

Oh, and, errr, how do you pronounce "fine"? As "feen"? :rolleyes:
    Or "shine" / "Mine" / "Whine" for that matter?

18. tangotime

You may find both versions in either .Surprised you havent asked Paul

19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Maybe I'll do so next time - I'm doing salsa there on Sunday, I may ask him then if he's there.

As for the "Ina" vs "Eena" thing -I’m just saying, words ending in “ine”, generally are pronounced “I”ne – shine, fine, whine, etc. Or at least, I'm saying that’s it’s legitimate to pronounce such words in that way - there are exceptions like “margarine” and “vaseline” , but hell, it’s the English language, the entire thing is a mix-and-match…

Whereas, words ending in “ina”, generally are pronounced “eena” – “Semolina”, “Tina”, etc.

So the difference in pronunciation between “Argentine” and “Argentina” is consistent with those conventions.

20. Twirly

Twirly New Member

You mean, what / how do the people in Argentina say when they speak English??? Since the words don't exist in Spanish.

Anyway, it's cool that English is such a flexible language that develops in all sorts of directions. There are rules, but many times they're not fixed. So rather than saying what's right or wrong, it's more interesting to just compare and be aware.