Tango Argentino > Videos > Argentine Tango from Strictly Come Dancing

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Musique, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Musique

Musique New Member

Vincent and Flavia. They are also trained in Ballroom and Latin. From your pure AT perspective, are they good?

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

from a choreographed point of view YES

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's Fantasia, though.

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yup. I tried...got bored very early in. Couldn't finish. Looked to be decent, if you like that sort of thing. Can't stand fantasia like that, and hate choreography.

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Again--- for a " show " piece-- fine-- thought the lifts looked a little strained , and the stamina level was becoming apparent towards the end .

main problem for me-- it was a little too predictable .

Perspective-- its for the viewing ( t.v. ) audience .

6. bastet

bastet Active Member

Her legs are so very stiff (but I have noticed that sort of thing with stage dancers anyway) and the ganchos and boleos as well as a molinete sequence I managed to make it through near the beginning seems very forced. To be honest, it's not what I would go for if I were looking to watch tango. Most stage tango dancing is forced and unnatural looking anyway to me and most people don't manage to get away with it.

The one exception I have had was some of Jeraldine and Javier's stage performances. I imagine they were choreographed, but i didn't mind...

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Cy6jHnhf4&feature=related

And for pure dancing pleasure...soemthing non choreographed. Chicho and Eugenia, danced to a live version of Plano Sequencia, so no choreography there. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyZq6sOLI0g

7. Me

Me New Member

I hesitate to say 'good' or 'bad.' I do know the dancers who are strictly AT and a bit sanctimonious about it would absolutely slaughter this couple, but that's to be expected.

I, personally, do not like this dance because the movement quality is too dancesport for my tastes, and I do not think Latin dancesport technique looks good on top of AT. (Head snappy dancesport turns - hard, muscled through movements - excessive posing...) When Flavia uses what I call the "Latin dancesport horsie strut" instead of just basic tango I cringe. But, all of these things seemed characteristic of Flavia's dancing. I did not notice this from Vincent.

But, having said that, I really appreciate the noted absense of snarling, constipated facial expressions and the choreography does not strike me as being an obnoxious or ignorant representation of AT. Of course I would prefer it if AT were represented by somebody more knowledgeable, but I think this is very good considering the venue. I think they did a lot more right than they did wrong.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yes. Credit where credit is due. There can, and has been, much worse.

Yup.

9. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

My two cents on the video - I dislike the musicality of the choreography. For me it was heavily divorced from the music, particularly when you suddenly get a lift or two thrown in for what appears to be no reason other than because they can. Rhythmic, yes, but not sculpted by the music.

It takes astonishing choreography and execution to make up for the delights I see in improvised tango, and this doesn't cut it.

As per comments above, it does at least stay more or less within the margins of AT, even if it is a bit soulless.

10. bastet

bastet Active Member

Well- I come from a ballroom background myself and I can certainly appreciate the fact that I, too, have seen worse...yes indeed.

I guess I don't understand the basis of the "Strictly Come Dancing" show. Our version seems to be the "Dancing With The Stars" (???) Am I right or wrong? I don't watch TV so I don't really know...But in DWTS you have non pros paried with pros giving their interpretation of the various partner dances...and I'm sure as much liberties are taken with the ballroom stuff they portray as with the AT stuff the portray.

That being said...(again, my knowledge of how SCD works is non-existant) but it would it seems both of the pair dancing are ballroom trained pros...and as such...if *I* were a pro going onstage to display any sort of dance, I'd want get the proper technique down as well as I could, which they haven't (lack of snarling faces aside) IMO. (There's plenty too much dancesport about it...right down to the fact she's wearing her latin costume and probably latin shoes, not tango shoes)

Also- I have seen interviews with this couple and so I know they have had some training in AT, but their (or maybe her) dancesport techniques overwhelm any of the performances I have seen of them. I just feel that dance pros SHOULD know to switch to correct technique for the dance they are displaying..I mean what if they were using latin technique for dancing standard, and in a public demo? That wouldn't be acceptable either, in my book. Give the dance it's due, whatever the dance is.

Remember- I also had 10 years ballroom and I do have some knowledge of how the techniques look different, and I'm just trying to say that if you are going to dance in public, especially on TV, better make sure your ducks are in a row or people who know the difference will most likely decide you're just BSing or out for glory.

I also agree I see it more in Flavia's dancing than in Vincent's...

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Well its a great improvement on what has gone on before and they were dancing to a proper tango composition.

Chicho is my hero so no competition there and the piece with Geraldine and Javier I dsiliked but for different reasons.

12. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

13. bastet

bastet Active Member

Yes- Chicho rocks! On the other- I'm not in to fanstasia tango so much, or choreography either, and it isn't my favorite Geraldine and Javier piece...but I wanted to choose a piece from them that had some choreogrpahy to it. For my own personal tastes, I prefer the spontaneuous and intimate "Poema" video that was floating around in another thread....