Tango Argentino > Argentine tango - I am currently listening to

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Sagitta, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Milonguita

Milonguita New Member

He does some great interpretations with the orquesta Anibal Troilo ...

2. Today its been 11 years since the death of Goyeneche.

Only that.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So, what do you suggest as the best CD for the first time listener to get?

4. Milonguita

Milonguita New Member

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

6. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I was listening to the sound track from "The Tango Lesson" this past weekend. It has a decent selection of classic tango tunes, yet is mixed in with some modern stuff, and a few pieces that seem to have been created for the movie, too.

Just had a yearning to hear the sound track from, "Assassination Tango". Maybe I'll pop that in on my drive home tonight. 8)

7. blue

blue New Member

Well, it took some time for me to get on terms with de Caro. He is still not my favourite, a bit too much of chamber music combined with strange effects (ugly sounds made with the violin bows on the strings, whistlings etc.) I do not have much argentine tango music, and of what I have I mainly listen to a CD I got at one of the beginner courses I took. It is a journey through all kinds of tango music, starting with golden age tango includindg a couple of waltzes and milongas moving over late Pugliese and Piazzolla to Gotan Project. I also have two CD:s I bought at onother course with "tango good for beginners", those I never listen to. I find them boring, more or less the same stuff over and over.

Apart from that I mainly listen to some "finnish tango, half chamber music style"
    http://www.sternsmusic.com/disk_info/EUCD1830
    and a Swedish group doing "neotango", New Tango Orquesta
    http://www.nto.nu/
    none of them really dance music.

I should get myself some late Pugliese. (I love Zum.)

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I am listeneing the the new Gotan CD, Lunatico. Not quite as gripping as Revancha La Tango, but some good tracks nonetheless.

9. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I have quite a vast collection of Argentine Tango music. However, only last week did I get copies of original music by Astor Piazzolla.

I do have to admit that I like his music, at times, I find his original arrangements are difficult to dance to. Some are even undanceable.

10. jhpark

jhpark Member

I find it amusing that Piazzolla is considered the father of tango nuevo music. I *like* most Piazzolla... I don't like most tango nuevo. :)

11. blue

blue New Member

Piazzolla meant his music to be undanceable. He said he freed tango from the chains of dance music, or something similar. I like to listen to Piazzolla, though.

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I checked a few facts and it looks like Piazolla was still alive when "The Tango Lesson" came out. One of the major scenes in the movie has Sally Potter, Pablo Veron, Gustavo Naveira, and Fabian Salas dancing to Piazolla's "Libertango". Wonder what he thought?
    Jazz was danceable, too, for decades, then became undanceable (at least socially) when musicians began playing bebop, and other musically more sopisticated stuff.
    I regularly visit Todo Tango http://www.todotango.com/spanish/main3.html
    to listen to the 10 selections of the day. It's free, and it changes every day, so you'll hear a very wide variety of tango music.

13. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I find many Piazzolla pieces wonderful to dance to, if the mood is right - and you're dancing with the right partner, of course. I have heard many top tango dancers agree with this. It was interesting in Buenos Aires though, because not once in a milonga / practica did I hear anything by Piazzolla, not even at more alternative venues.

14. bonz

bonz New Member

Sagitta,
    Good topic. I wish to begin building a AT cd collection.
    What CD would you start with?
    I just started a milonga course. Where you step on every beat. Could you suggest a good CD to purchase that I play while practicing?

15. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Juan Carlos Caceres Toca Tango is good IMO.

16. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Soledad with the right person is, I can't explain it. But it's great!

17. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

One of the Piazzolla pieces that I did find "magical" AND is beautiful to dance to, is "Vuelo al Sur"

18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'm currently obsessed with "Murga Tango" and "Me He Perdido en Ti" by Debayres.

"Montserrat" by Orquesta del Plata is also a current favorite.

19. FTL

FTL New Member

I do dance to few Piazolla pieces if my instructor is not around. It is quite interesting when I asked my Argentine instructor if I could use Piazolla and she emphatically responded NO. I did not like the tone of her voice so I did not ask her to elaborate. I am not so sure if it is not danceable as far as she is concerned or she's just too conservative.:confused:

20. jhpark

jhpark Member

I seem to hear Libertango about once a month lately. It's a nice song, a bit quick but still danceable. I enjoy that one a lot.