Tango Argentino > Argentine tango - I am currently listening to

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Sagitta, Oct 24, 2004.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I was at a milonga and they played Adios Nonino which I don't feel comfortable about dancing to given its subject matter and Milonga Del Angel which is okay as slow pieces go

2. Twirly

Twirly New Member

The difficult thing with Piazzolla is that there is no regular beat, so it can be hard to dance to, especially for beginners. If you are more advanced you might enjoy the challenge, and it can be great if you know the music very well. My instructor loves Piazzolla and could dance to it all night. I like a couple, but prefer a bit of variety!

Personally I don't have a problem with the fact that Piazzolla himself didn't see his music as dance music. I should think that most people who think it's wrong to dance to Piazzolla also don't like to dance to other modern music, or electrotango or "alternative" songs. Nothing wrong with that, we all have different tastes. I say live and let live.

3. Twirly

Twirly New Member

That's interesting, I've never thought of that. It's a fantastic piece and I like dancing to it with the right person.

4. bordertangoman

I think there are favourites of Piazzolla's that I have and would like to dance to: Biyuya; Le Grand Tango (all 11 minutes of it!)

5. FTL

FTL New Member

I feel the same for Adios Nonino due to its theme. I do dance to Vuelvo al Sur and Milonga del Angel although the latter could sometimes a bit too slow and boring for me. I sometimes dance it as bolero.

As tangueros we are probably typecasting Piazolla but in all likelihood his repertoire is probably much wider and tango is just one them.

6. bordertangoman

Piazzolla is like a slow addictive poison..... it grows on you the more you listen. I often can't tell one piece from another I just know its Astor. I heard Kicha, now that could be danceable.

PS i still think Pugliese had an edge: I heard a version of Negracha which gets into your bloodstream and sets your teeth on edge. Fantastico!

7. MusicFan11

MusicFan11 New Member

Has anyone heard the Piazzolla album "The Lausanne Concert"? It's
    a full-length concert from 1989 with a handful of popular tango musicians
    instead of just a few exerpts from the show. I heard it the other day and I
    think that although it is old it is one of his best albums!

8. ssjss

ssjss New Member

I heard some of it recently. It was nice, but I still think Tango-Zero Hour to be one of his best IMO.

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

...QuinTango's self-titled album. "Oblivion" just finished, "No No No No" just started...two of my favorites.

5 days until I get to go see them live, with guest dancers. I know my teacher sometimes dances for their performances, so I'm wondering if I'm going to get to see him "pulll out all the stops" as it were.

10. Peaches

"Querer" by Cirque du Soleil...

11. bordertangoman

Sharna Fabiano mentions this on her Neo-Tango website and a few other Cirque du Soleil tracks. I agree this is one of those wonderful pieces and the woman ( I don't know her name) has a stupendous voice.
    My favourite is Vai Vedrai. Like a very slow waltz.

12. Peaches

Ooooh...I'm going to have to look into that!

gosh darnit!...every time there's a thread about dance music, or something get's mentioned I end up spending more money...

13. bordertangoman

If you visit the am****.com site and look for Alegria you can listen to a snippet of Vai Vedrai.

14. Peaches

Can't listen while here at work...

But I know it's on iTunes, where I have spent way too much money...

...where I plan to spend way too much more money as soon as I find plenty of time to compile the lists of suggestions and see what's available...

...I've got to stop this...it's becoming a very expensive addiction... (why does that sound familiar?)

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hmm...never really thought of Vai Vedrai as tango, but I guess it could be. The weird tempo kind of throws me off. Querer makes more sense.

16. FTL

FTL New Member

La Pulpera de Santa Lucia, intrumental, harmonica version. I really like this vals music but I have no idea who played it. May be someone here in the forum could help me.

17. AATanguera

AATanguera New Member

The vals is played by harmonicist Hugo Diaz. The song is on the double CD set "Hugo Diaz in Buenos Aires", released by Japanese RCA Victor label, which is available only in Japan. Hugo Diaz' harmonica versions of many of our favorite tangos are wonderful, so sultry. If you know someone in Japan, ask them to buy it for you. I cost about $37 US.

There is some nice background information on Hugo Diaz at the tangoevolution website. I wasn't permitted to insert the URL here for you but if you search around that site you'll find it.

If you look for his music, don’t mistake it for another tango musician also named Hugo Diaz, who is a bandoneonist.

18. bordertangoman

If anyone fron Japan is reading this I would like to get a copy of this CD and if you can help send me a PM please :) I have heard some of these tracks at Milongas....

19. FTL

FTL New Member

Me too!!!

Thank you AATanguera. Somehow everytime there is a music I like it is not readily available. At least I have an info to start with.

20. TangoPeter

TangoPeter New Member

Hopefully I do not interfere in experienced tango addicts "view of the world" by saying this: I found the perfect piece of music to dance the real style, while not even close to being tango music!
    Try dancing to Michael Bublé's - Feeling Good
    even my Maestro had to surrender, it is grandious...

Tango Beginners Faithfully
    Peter