Tango Argentino > Argentine tango - I am currently listening to

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Sagitta, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Nicolas Bruzzo

Nicolas Bruzzo New Member

Tanghetto

I'm currenty listening to (and especially dancing to) Tanghetto's Emigrante and Hybrid Tango. They're inspiring for dance, I did't even know that I could create those movements, I feel free. Me and my dance couple are experimenting a lot, it's a music that defies your limits as dancer.

I also enjoy them very much as a CD for listeing only. Other CDs in my car: Lunatico (Gotan Project), New Tango (Piazzolla and Gary Burton), the new stuff from Coldplay and U2.

Saludos,

Nico

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Welcome, Nico! I hope you keep posting about AT--I think I'm the only regularly posting AT nut around here, and it gets a bit boring to talk and debate with myself.

I love Emigrante. What's Hybrid Tango--also by Tanghetto, I assume?

Love Lunatico. Love Piazzola. What from Coldplay and U2 are you dancing AT to? My teacher and I dance to U2's "In a Little While" which is loads of fun.

3. Im listening a lot to De Angelis. Its great, and I love the songs with Alberto Castillo. A couple of Vals are incredible! Have you heard the version of "Los cien barrios porteƱos"?

4. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I am currently in love with the soundtrack of the Carlos Saura movie, "Tango."

Beautiful classic Tango, Vals, Milongas, all newly orchestrated

:cheers:

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Yes I like this Saura soundtrack too. Flores del alma, Corazon de oro.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Listening to Tanturi 'Una Emocion' - as used on Assassination tango.
    Something about this song has got under my skin.

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Since "Assasination Tango" and "Una Emocion" have been mentioned...
    I will often put in the "Assasination Tango" dvd to listen and watch Pablo Veron dance to this song. If you have seen Veron dance in "The Tango Lesson", and can compare that dancing with what he does to "Una Emoncion" at the end of "Assasination Tango", please comment.
    PS may require repeat viewings

8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Having seen both movies in a movie theater I'd say that Pablo Veron was more dynamic in the Tango Lesson, the camera had to run to follow him. A common point is that in each movie he's dancing outside on the pavement.

9. desinel

desinel New Member

Hello, everyone!

I have just found your forum and must admit, I am so happy to have found people who genuinely enjoy the Argentine Tango... I am at the moment based in Ethiopia, but will be leaving in a few months time back to the 'civilisation', where I plan to seriously enrol myslef to proper Tango classes. At the moment I feel like I am the only person, an expat, in this country who is totally utterly obsessed with this dance and there is unfortunately no one here to share this very strange obsession of mine that seems to be permanently growing and I don't see there is a way of stopping it, no do I wish to do so... I have absolutely no dance background whatsoever, but when i listened to the AT, i fell in love with the music and was so determined to learn to steps.. I bought the Tango with Federico dvds, downloaded loads of clips, bought music, found a partner who agreed to help me learn the steps, but who then gave up as soon as it became too complicated... I was approached by various students from our Salsa classes who begged me to teach them the steps I knew already... So, I ended up teaching the subject (at the same time trying to spot the ''rather talented one'', like myself), i know so very little about, trying to instill the tango culture in the country which has got so little to do with tango in general...

At present I am listening to the Los Mareados by Cobian and Piazzolla's Milonga del Angels, Troilo's Madame Ivonne, Silbando, Mi Noche Triste.. all are so beautiful... and for one reason or another working out a tango choreography for a rather naughty song Do it Again, by D. Krall...

I bought a film called Tango which was a 1998 Academy Award Nominee for best foreign language film and absolutely loved it... I loved the story, the dance, the music... everything...I am trying to copy the soundtrack using some sophisticated software to be able to use it during my lessons...

I was wondering if there are any tango clubs, or even tango instructors both in London and Paris that you could recommend?

Thank you sooo much,

Alyona.

P.S. I have been reading various posts by many of you and found them so amazingly helpful and so educational, and even hilarious at times... Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge and experience!

10. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I am listening to "El aire en mis manos" from the Narcotango2 album (byn guess who, Narcotango).

By the way they say there is a bonus track
    "11. Vi luz y subi (live)"

But:
    1) On my CD there are only 10 tracks . Admittedly the 10th is twice as long as it should so mybe the 11th is bundled.
    2) The piece sounds familiar but it's definitely not Vi luz y subi.

11. pascal

pascal Active Member

What do you mean by tango clubs?
    There is A.T in Paris, but not places like in Bs-As with daily tango shows. Stage A.T is marginal here, once in a while a couple of teachers will make a demo in a milonga. It's A.T for us, not as in income source.
    There are places with daily classes/practices/milongas. There are many teachers, all oriented to social dancing but in private classes they're available for choreography if this is what you're interested in.

12. "La Pastora"- De Angelis orchestra.
    "Nieblas del Riachuelo" (what a beautifull song...)

What do you think?

13. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Tigre viejo, found in a Fresedo CD.

14. MusicFan11

MusicFan11 New Member

Piazzolla box set

I just picked up the new Astor Piazzolla box set. Let me start off saying that its amazing. Never have I ever been so entranced by bandoneon music or have heard tango interpreted in such a unique style. This album offers a chance to hear an original like "Revirado" and then a modern interpretation by someone like John Beltran.

15. Peaches

Quartango--Macadam Tango--Tango Negro.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Into nuevo today, I see.

17. Peaches

Yup. Nuevo is probably my most favorite of the different styles, though, so it's no surprise that it's what I'm listening to.

18. desinel

desinel New Member

Piazzola's Oblivion...

19. Peaches

Oblivion...*swoon* I can never decide if I prefer Oblivion or Soledad.

My favorite versions are done by Quintango. I saw them perform Oblivion live, and it was amazing. They finished the piece, and there was just this stunned silence from the entire audience for a moment or two, and then the applause erupted. That performance just left me completely emotionally drained, and shaking. AMAZING.

Actually, both Oblivion and Soledad are two pieces I've already picked to be played at my funeral/memorial/whatever. They're just...so...unbelievable.

20. desinel

desinel New Member

Hmm... I don't know what Soledad sounds like... i got to know the Oblivion when i downloaded a clip from the Mephisto Tango site h t t p ://premiumwanadoo.com/mephisto-tango/videos.html

I thought it was a very beautiful tango nuevo style dance... by david and catherine...

Do you know of a clip online with Soledad by any chance?