Tango Argentino > Videos > Argentine Tango on TV

Discussion in 'Videos' started by opendoor, Apr 29, 2010.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

By chance I watched that Pamela Anderson video of Dancing with the stars on YT. I wonder why this dancing is called argentine tango. I have never done ballroom dances, but what I saw in this video I would rather call ballroom tango than argentine tango. Can someone here tell me something about the classification, rating, and the jury? How and where did this style evolve? Is it popular in the US? Who promotes it, and in which kind of dancing schools can you learn to dance this way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugYacZRx2r8

2. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

The show is a popularity contest. The good news is that dancing gets exposure to the general public. Unfortunately, the dance classifications are often mingled, and the choreography is tailored to the "stars" capabilities.

In this case, you have ballroom pros adding in some show AT moves to International style tango and calling it AT. Most of the audience really does not know the difference and, again, votes on popularity.

3. Me

Me New Member

We often ask the same thing. Basically, the show has resorted to exploiting non-ballroom partnership dances to boost the ratings. I have not watched this season, but in past seasons they were pretty clear that the professionals were learning the specialty dances along with their students.

It is not ballroom tango. It's just "sexy" poses and fancy tricks strung together by walking.

I have no idea. The show doesn't make it clear, even for the ballroom portions. Some of the judges are qualified to judge ballroom, and some are not. There is a mysterious audience vote that is never disclosed. No divisions by gender, age, or experience level are made. However, vague praise (or scathing insults) are dished out regularly... with no real regard for the actual dancing. Plenty of rehearsal footage and behind the scenes footage of people crying or arguing is aired as well. This is the main reason why I have stopped watching the show. Too negative.

Somebody pulled some tricks off of Youtube and made up a routine. Seriously. :(

No. The only time I see people dance like this is when ballroom dancers decide to create an Argentine tango exhibition, and call in no professional help. I'm not hating on the ballroom dancers. I'm just being honest.

Dance instructors trying to make a quick buck who won't bring in experts have created this style. They rip moves off of Youtube, maybe order a video here and there, and string together some nightmare routine. They do the same to swing and club-style Latin.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

If you look again at "The Tango Lesson" you will see Pablo Veron and various partners doing a fair amount of what you see in that routine; only much, much, better.

Christy Coté & George Garcia demonstrate "Cadena with Ganchos" on one of their AT dvds.

You DWTS fans correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Pam's pro one of the newer ones?
    I know Chelsea from SYTYCD (knew Heidi, too from the same show). I HAVE seen at least one respectable attempt at "Golden Age" AT on this show.

If you leave out how badly things were done here, you could say that "performance", or "stage" tango, is one of the things that attracts people to AT. Usually they find out it's something different. Well, it IS cool stuff, just not considered to be social AT.
    Barrefly's daughter was learning this style (sort of) for a while, I think.

Wish I had had more time to compare notes with Skippy Blair, who, as far as I can tell, has a mainstream idea of what "Argentine Tango" is. (As it was one or more people in our small group advised me to talk less about it.)

5. Me

Me New Member

Yes! Exactly. Thank you. :)

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I wonder how the Milongueros in BsAs would react to a performance like that.

[​IMG]

7. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I think the Milongueros of BA wait until AFTER the milonga to get the lady into their laps while wrapping both legs around their waists. ;)

8. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Right... if they did a demo of social style as can be danced in the traditional crowded milongas in Baires, the audience would be seriously underwhelmed no matter how perfectly it was danced. The home audience even more so since the extra degree of separation by the camera tends to mute the excitement and energy even more.

9. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I believe you :)

Meh.

It's tango fantasia. Sure, it's not very good show tango, but it's not something really weird. The worst parts of that video were that they had to keep stopping to ensure they were on the right foot, other than that they were OK.

The best DWTS / SCD AT I've seen was Vincent and Rachel's routine from a couple of years ago.

But that's still fantasia. Legs, lifts, drags - all that stuff.

10. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

That was pretty neat! Fantasia, but good fantasia with connection. And recognizable as AT.

11. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

DWTS and real AT have no connection none-whatsoever.

12. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Absolutely!

13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

but the word, and exactly only that thing made be wonder. People now connect both things: A missed chance?

14. bastet

bastet Active Member

I think maybe the disagreement or disconnect with Vincent video may be that Vincent actually looked more like he was leading what he was doing (probably because he actually could) and she looked like she was performing what was memorized. Most of what he was doing would require a seriously "free" free leg which the follow didn't really have.

All in all, it's not social tango, mostly a mish mash to make the audience go "oooh!" but I agree they seemed to do a better job with the movements they did do than the other couple. My guess is because Vincent probably does have some actual AT training (maybe all show training but training none the less).