General Dance Discussion > Argentine Tango or Ballroom Tango?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Apr 14, 2003.

?

Do you prefer Argentine Tango or Ballroom Tango?

1. Argentine Tango

60.0%
  2. Ballroom Tango

40.0%
  1. Legacy

Legacy Member

Oh dear.. I hope I won't be one of those :p I've looked at argentine dance, but I guess it's more like a social dance to me (which of course gives you more enjoyment, but less to learn?) Maybe I'm wrong. Argentine also seems to be too intimate for me for now :p

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Legacy, only this: in AT you also can find everything between social and performance. And the syllabus is open, which means, you will never reach the end of the flagpole. And I think it is less intimate because you do not contact directly with hip and groin parts. Good luck, so far!

3. Legacy

Legacy Member

Very good point Opendoor! How about other parts like upper body and chest? :)

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

But you can't compete in ballroom events in AT, so if you want to do those...

I've never really gotten the full Standard "look" without feeling ridiculous and very awkward to painful, but I'm fighting 20-odd years of sports that require very vertical alignment (taking the head out is just not 'right' to me.) So muscle memory's against me. A couple things that make it better are having a partner who's the right height and build to minimize awkwardness--if my hips aren't lined up right the upper body's not going to work at all. And not thinking of tilting the head straight left but kind of stretching around.

And you can always try Smooth--you spend a lot less time in hold! ;)

5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

"But you can't compete in ballroom events in AT, so if you want to do those..."
    HUH? I know of several ballroom competitions that offer AT
    including Emerald. Do I not understand you Danceronice?

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread - I just want to understand.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Do not mean to steal either, but actually competitions seem to be not a core business in AT, though they may exist. But, meanwhile also a tango world cup has been established in BsAs.

http://www.demotix.com/news/419490/tango-world-championship-argentina
    demotix.com/news/419490/tango-world-championship-argentina

8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Do you mean those few AT heats on smooth days at ballroom comps? They usually have one or two couples in them, and imv the purpose of those heats is to sit down and relax or go in the corner and warm up, depending on what's going on in your schedule. I don't know anyone who takes those seriously.

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Least of all serious AT people.

But I don't think the immediate answer to the question is "quit ballroom completely and take up an entirely different CULTURE of dance." Though it might be consider Smooth, Rhythm and Latin as alternatives. Some of us will just never be comfortable in Standard, physically or otherwise.

10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

True for ballroom
    True for ballroom
    Debatable, but generally true for ballroom :)

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Contemporary Argentine Tango has many styles.
    Some have contact in the upper body/chest, some don't.
    There are also many ways to "embrace" your partner (an AT buzz word more or less equivalent to "hold" or "frame").

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

No option for voting, but I'm split about 50-50. As far as the music being radically different, DP and I do occasionally dance AT to what some would consider a BR tango. Seems to work ok for us.

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The voting buttons are still there for me, but I'm not going to vote because there''s no option for "no preference." I think that, even though the two dances have common roots, they've evolved along different lines for so long now that they are no longer comparable. Each is beautiful in its own way.

14. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Sorry, I meant there is no option for "no prefence". My bad.

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sorry. I misunderstood. :cool:

16. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I agree with pygmalion as far as the extreme difference between the dances. For myself, I prefer AT music, and I love the improvisation that I see among good AT dancers. So if all I could dance were some version of tango, I would choose AT. But as cool as AT is, I like dancing foxtrot, quickstep, and waltz more. So I'm focusing on standard, and that means I have to learn and compete ballroom tango. Someday I'd like to really learn AT, too, but the huge difference in technique from what I'm used to means that doing that would take a lot of time and energy away from my work on other dances, and I'm not willing to make that trade-off right now. So I'm not voting either. In a head-to-head comparison, I prefer AT, but in the reality of my dancing life, I'm choosing to work on ballroom tango.

17. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Pragmatism at work..

18. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Waltz, foxtrot, and quickstep can have the same improvisation.
    I don't think you necessarily have to compete. :)

19. bia

bia Well-Known Member

True -- I love madmax's post #89 in this thread to sort of that effect. But it's my impression that in common teaching and practice, such improvisation is emphasized more commonly and earlier in AT than in ballroom. Not necessarily how it has to be, but how it seems to be at the moment.
    Also true, but if I do choose to compete standard, I have to include standard tango -- can't just choose to individually replace it with Argentine or to skip tango altogether.

As I looked back through this thread, I was realizing how many different things are tied up in our choices of which dances to do. Obviously, a preference for a particular dance or a particular kind of music plays a big role. But it's also about which dances conventionally are done together, whether competitively or in a social venue. How much variety in different dances you're likely to get at a particular event, and whether you enjoy a lot of variety, or whether you're happy playing with the details of one dance all night. What the social conventions are for each particular dance community (including interactions between dancers, but also how early or late events start and end, how loud the music is, whether there's drinking, etc.), and how comfortable those conventions are for you. So there are interesting discussions to be had about personal preferences for particular dances, but in actual practice, the choices are about more than just preferring one dance over another.

20. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I am kind of curious, cause I never got that far in ballroom... is there a certain point where you can step on any beat you want or dance the melody line? Not talking about choreography or routines. I heard that Foxtrot used to be that way a loooong time ago, but I was wondering if it's still taught that way in ballroom social dancing today.