Tango Argentino > Argentine Tango - Want To Learn...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Spitfire, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I'm interested in learning Argentine Tango. Do I understand correctly that there is no basic pattern?

I understand that it can be tricky to learn. What is the aspect that makes this so?

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

From what I understand, what makes Argentine Tango so tricky is that steps are not what you are leading and following but, rather, individual weight changes. I too am interested in learning so will have to leave it to someone better versed then I to explain further....

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

There is a common basic.
    Man's part:
    Back on the right foot
    Side on the left foot
    Forward on the right foot outside partner
    Forward on the Left Foot
    Bring Right foot together
    Forward on the Left Foot
    Side on the Right Foot
    Bring Left Foot Together

Lady's Part:
    Forward on the Left Foot
    Side on the Right Foot
    Back on the Left Foot
    Back on the Right Foot
    Cross the Left Foot in Front on the Right Foot
    Back Side Together (RLR)

This is often danced Slow, Slow, Slow, Quick, Hold (the cross), Quick, Quick Slow. But the music and the dancer's interpretaton both play a roll. Sometimes the first or second steps of this common basic are excluded.

4. will35

will35 New Member

You are exactly right. No basic. Be very, very wary of people who say there is a basic pattern. It could take a long, long time to get it out of your head and learn to dance.

5. Spitfire

My first class was earlier this afternoon.

6. SDsalsaguy

So how was it? How did it go?

7. golddancer

golddancer New Member

It is a yes and no answer.

In the "old days" in Argentina only men learned the dance and it was a womans role to follow. This does not negate the need for partnership skills.

The true Tangouera would say the most important step in Argentine Tango is the walk. I believe this too. As a lady I have to move and follow but it is the skill and the walk that is most important.

There are patterns to learn but it is more important to move because the Argentine Tango is the expression of the music. It moves slow and fast and is moody and joyful.

Find a good instructor and learn both the Mans and the woman's part. It will make the dance more enjoyable because you learn what signals your partner receives.

8. SDsalsaguy

Re: It is a yes and no answer.

Welcome to the forums golddancer! :D

This is excellent advice, for any dance I think!

9. Spitfire

Pretty good; I see now where it certainly does not have any structured pattern. I take it that the man can use his own innovations?

10. SDsalsaguy

Sounds about what I expected. Now that you've had some exposure, would you say that my initial impression (quoted again below) seems right?

11. Spitfire

Exactly; since there is no pattern it seems to be pretty much body leading.

12. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Where did you take your lesson :?:

13. Spitfire

From the studio where I go dancing. They have a class on Argentine Tango every Saturday afternoon at 2:00. The first hour is beginning and the second is intermediate.

14. will35

will35 New Member

Here's another thing that can make AT difficult for a leader. The dancers can dance on a different foot or the same foot. That is, left for leader and left for follower. That is illegal and unheard of in most dances. It gives it a lot of variety, especially with the pivots. Let's imagine that both dancers are on the right foot. The leader wants to move to his left. The follower's weight is on her right foot. How can she move? She pivots. Maybe that is why AT is full of what people call ochos.
    I've known a lot of people who were pretty good at ballroom and just didn't get AT. Then, I've known some people who were good at ballroom, took one authentic AT class, and never danced ballroom again. I've never really met anybody anywhere in between. What do you think?

15. Spitfire

What do I think?

Will let you know as I progress. :)

16. will35

will35 New Member

Good luck. It can be a little frustrating, but I guess all dances are. :wink:

17. golddancer

golddancer New Member

I know it is challenging the switching of the feet ... it is contrary to ballroom. But it is one of the key "spices" of the dance.

I still do ballroom and A. T. and it is requires a lot of concentration to keep them seperate.

I have the most fun dancing American tango with an AT tango because we mix the two. American tango has its roots in Arg Tango.

I am going to a dance tonight and maybe will get a chance to do both.

[/img]

18. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

so true..

19. d nice

d nice New Member

My first AT lesson in four years is tomorrow... needless to say I'm ecstatic.

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Cool. I also signed up for some group classes with a couple that are supposed to be pretty good. Keep me posted on how it goes, okay? :)