Tango Argentino > Videos > Argetine Tango Showdance by Latin Champions Jukka and Sirpa

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Musique, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Musique

Musique New Member

I'm the one to blame. Neither title mentions argentine tango. And I'll never call Slavik and Karina's number an "AT" showdance. The used several AT moves. I think it'd be interesting to compare their interpretation/usage to Jukka and Sirpa's, which is not marked as AT either. Their number's title is simply "Segue".

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ok, OK! Jeebus. My fault, all apologies.

That being said...there were still plenty of AT-ish moves that display a complete lack of understanding of what it is they're actually trying to portray. I still find that quite insulting. If they're going portray a dance, at least make an attempt to do it well.

3. bastet

bastet Active Member

I guess to put the shoe on the other foot...if a pair of well know tango dancers had choreographed a dance to a piece of music and incorporated moves from something like Paso Doble or rumba (and I don't see why they couldn't with all the alternative tango out there), and it was clear they were excellent tango dancers but just didn't have a clue about how latin dances work, would you who dance latin feel the same? Would you laugh at their attempt? Or be annoyed at how they purport to perform moves and concepts they have never studied in depth and so don't really have mastery over? Just because one dances tango, one doesn't automatically have mastery over all other dance forms and so vice versa.

I think what probably annoys the AT people is the apparent inclusion of moves that are well know in tango show dance for the sake of the "wow" factor rather than that they have taken time to understand how the tango actually works from a lead/follow perspective.

Again- the first video did a better job, they are lovely dancers...(but, sorry, ganchos for the follow are led with the leaders torso...not just inserted becasue the guy leaves his leg sticking out.) That's a breach of technicality that is obvious to someone who dances tango. Just as if someone who dances latin were to see someone of pro caliber from another dance try to do a hockey stick or something from a latin dance and do it with poor technique. (sorry- haven't done latin in ages and am forgetting names now but hopefully the picture is clear.)

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I've got no problem with true fusion (not my cuppa tea, really, but it doesn't bother me). I've got no problem with non-traditional styles, or music.

I just want to see it done justice. And if high-ups are going to make a show of it, I'd at least like them to do it the honor (as another art form unto itself) of actually understanding the movements.

I mean, we're talking about obviously talented dancers. I'm sure they're more than capable of it...if they try.

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

In the Jukka and Sirpa video I failed to see any gancho or boleo or colgada or turns or double-times or cruzada or alteracion or lapiz or enrosque. Certain movements of theirs can somehow be named a barrida, an ocho and a sacada. All in all, a lot is missing.

6. Musique

Musique New Member

Now, officially the most discussed thread in AT video forum. :)