Dance Articles > Arthur Murray Inc Trademarks World Championship Dance Titles

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I received this NewsFlash email from DanceSportComps.com this afternoon. Seems to open up a lot of questions....

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Yeah, I got it too and I read it and then went and took a look at the SF Open results :)

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Suggestion to college teams: start recruiting at the law school

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Someone needs to simplify this for me....

5. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

The more I think about it, especially in context to the discussion of judge bios in that other thread, I have to ask, "what's in a name?"

Within the dancing community, it doesn't matter what you call the title, it only really matters what is behind it - which competition someone won to earn it. Someone winning Blackpool probably gets a little more respect than someone winning the nominal (WD&DSC or IDSF) world title - and if the title names become really meaningless then the focus on and naming of the specific competitions can only increase.

But from a business perspective - selling dancing to people who don't know much about it, well then, a flashy title is everything.

So if all the initials want to slug it out in court, or in front of WIPO or whatever, fine - but it doesn't really make one bit of difference in terms of dancing. If anything, whoever wins the name stands to loose a lot of credibility amongst actual dancers if they don't apply it in a way consistent with the logical meaning of the words.

6. Laura

Laura New Member

I kind of think that was the NDCA's point.

But then, I'm not so sure what a World Smooth or Rhythm title means anyway, since it's only competed in North America (Canada has National Smooth and Rhythm titles, too).

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

8. mamboqueen

:raisebro: oh, good. so, it's not just because I'm one of those flighty latin types

9. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing! :D Gee, I didn't understand a word. Something about champ titles, right? :lol:

T_E

10. mamboqueen

Well, what I'm *thinking* happened is that one entity filed the trademark for the names of the titles and that another entity used it. But, to be honest, I don't find the article altogether too clear.

11. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

You'll need to buy AM's gold package for a full explanation. :raisebro:

12. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Oh, snap! ;)

13. mamboqueen

LMAO. Here's my check for 10 grand, where do I sign?

14. Merrylegs

I've begun to equate Arthur Murray with Scientology. You know, there are different levels of knowledge that you have to buy to be taught, everybody give you lots of hugs and kisses and acts like your best friend. And, they seek people who don't have family or other connections in their social life.

You'll spend a ton of money and year of your life only to find out that the place is run by aliens.

OK, before I start a flame war on THIS thread, let me say that I'm sure not all AM's are like this but the ones I've seen are. And, this is all very tongue-in-cheek humor.

15. alemana

alemana New Member

brilliant analogy.

16. Merrylegs

But, all joking aside, that is the belief in Scientology: aliens invaded the earth 70,000 years ago and either we're al decendants of them or they're trying to get them to come back or the aliens are buried in the earth of whatever, flippin' craziness.

I read a story of a young woman who's family had been completely entrenched in Scientology and when she finally learned that aliens were the big secret at the top level of learning she left in disgust.

Hello Tom Cruise and John Travolta, are you kidding me?

17. Merrylegs

Sorry. I just completely hijacked the thread. Feel free to get back on topic.......

18. mamboqueen

hang on a minute; I'm having contractions and have to bite an apple so I don't scream!

19. mamboqueen

hijack...one of my very first internet experiences was reading about a young woman in Florida who was mysteriously killed while trying to leave Scientology....it was riveting!

20. alemana

alemana New Member

results from Pro Rhythm:
    Professional Championship Rhythm (CRSBM)
    1) 174 Evgeny Dyachenko & Inna Ivanenko - PA
    2) 170 Michael Neil & Danielle Wilson - Fla.
    3) 145 Ilya Reyzin & Lori Putnins - NJ
    4) 131 Decho Kraev & Bree Watson - AZ
    5) 195 Jeremy Gatlin & Anna Harwood - TN
    6) 198 Ingvar Geirsson & Anna Chacon - FL
    7) 209 Juan De Dios Garcia & Cari Jo Melgoza - CA
    8.) 167 Scott Lazarov & Pamela Licht - NJ
    9) 142 Jeremy Pilling & Julie Goldman - CA
    9) 200 Michael Mitsui & Suzie Mitsui - BC
    11) 133 Chris Lynam & Daisey Lynam - CA
    12) 199 Louis Dettling & Sara Watkins - FL
    13) 109 Ben Castillano & Diana Velonskis - FL
    14) 139 Ron Okubo & Carina Fourmyle - CA
    15) 148 Brett Stepan & Melissa Stepan - MN

So not only were the "world champs" sixth, they were sixth in a weak field.