arthur murray superama?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by newdancer113, May 16, 2007.

1. newdancer113

newdancer113 New Member

Anybody done one? Whats it like? Is it a real competition?

I ask because I've been to a couple of low key arthur murray events (I don't like to use the word "competition" because it's pretty bogus that so many peope "win" first by dancing without any competition and that they set it up so nobody "wins" less than 4th. Seems to me the purpose of these events is to make sure everybody "wins" so that they feel good and spend more $$ on lessons...not to mention the extra money spent to prepare for an event) I participated in these to get used to the idea of being in costume being watched and dancing for some sort of score. Now I feel I may be ready to try a real competiton. But I'm not sure that any arthur murray competition is actually real. Any input is appreciated.

2. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

I used to be a AMDS customer and was interested in these 'Superamas' until they told me how much it costs. How much are they going to charge you?

3. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I participated in the Vegas Superama last March and the Dancerama in San Francisco last month. Yes, they are very expensive. However, I enjoy my fellow students and love dancing with the instructors from my studio. We also stay in nice hotels and most meals are included.

Yes, I felt it was a "real" competition, although I have not been to any comps other than AM.

4. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Member

I participated in both the Vegas and San Fran competitions as well. I believe Vegas had about 10,000 entries while San Fran had 8,600. There was loads of competition for me - dancing as Ladies A in Associate and Full Bronze. Almost every round that I competed in began as a Quarterfinal or Semi-final. I heard that Superama is even more popular than Vegas and SF, but I have never been, nor will I be attending.

And no, not everyone wins. In Vegas I didn't place at all in the higher division, but in San Fran, I ended up doing better. For every entry you do, you get a medal. But when you don't place, you get a "participant" medal instead of a first, second, etc.

5. evanluck

evanluck Member

At any Arthur Murray Dancearama be it Vegas or Superama or Unique Dancearama there will be lots of competition in the Bronze level. I would say that the level of competition in the bronze level for Arthur Murray is equal or even higher than the independent competitions. This is purely a numbers game. There are so many bronze dancers in the Arthur Murray system as 9 out 10 people who start dancing start at an franchise dance studio. It is only when you get past bronze that the quality of dancing at the independent competitions start to outshine the Arthur Murray competitions (especially at the open scholarship level).

Bottom line is that if you are just starting and have the money, the event should be plenty competitive for you and also will be boat loads of fun.

Happy Dancing and God Bless,

Evan

6. reb

reb Active Member

Its real.
    Many of the same judges and judging as the major comps.
    There is a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and so on down the line.

In terms of numbers of pro/am competitors, superama, the AM "world" comp in vegas, and the "Unique" AM comp in Orange County are almost comparable in numbers of pro/am entries to a mid-sized independent comp.
    Note 1: AM Pro is not comparable to independent pro comps
    Note 2: AM Amateur is not comparable to independent or USA Dance comps

When it comes to the awards - you'll find nearly a similar approach in the independent comps of similar size.
    As far as feeling good - dancesport is generally a supportive and encouraging environment and you'll find some of that elsewhere.
    As one progresses, the competition becomes focused on the scholarship events (you'll see these when you attend) - usually the top or most aggresive competitors.

You mention "low key" AM comps - maybe you are referring to showcases and regional AM comps where several studios get together for a comp. If so . . . . in terms of size, these are miniature (partial-day comps - compared to several day comps running heats from 8 AM to midnight each day).

Hope this helps!:D

7. newdancer113

newdancer113 New Member

Thanks for the input everyone.

The things I've done so far have indeed been the loco-regional events with 3-5 studios, and no more than 4 students in any one category per heat, only one overall award per level which seems to be based on number of entries (and winners doing a number of heats with no other competitiors)

Money isn't a huge issue for me, as long as I feel like I get value for what I pay. There isn't much info available yet for this event that I'm talking about, including price (except for rough estimate...which I could pay). I'd hate to spend a lot of money and find it was like those that I've been to so far.

8. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Member

It will be nothing like the local competitions - it will be much better. The competition is better, the music is better, the atmosphere is better, etc. In Vegas we had 3 meals a day and it was all great food. Superama will have at least 2, if not 3, meals a day as well I am guessing. Oh, and about a month after you return, they send a plaque to your studio for you to attach all of your medals to.

It is expensive, but if you are not strapped for cash, then go if you want. There are great people to meet, and fun to be had. I had a blast at both Vegas and San Fran.

After the formal dinner on Saturday (before the pro show), I suggest grabbing whomever to dance. There is a good deal of general dancing after dinner so don't be shy in asking anyone to dance. That way you meet more people.

9. What do you mean by "real"? Does it have anything to do with the number of contestants competing against you as some posters have suggested or does it have to do with how contestants are being judged? Are the judges objective and unbias with no agendas or are they too forgiving of mistakes, etc.... questions like these will always arise to a certain degree at any competition. If have doubts about the genuinuous of the level of competition of AM events or if you feel that they are "rigging" these competitions like dividing the categories into too many subcategories such that there will be only three people competing against each other where everyone will place, then you should try to resolve these issues before you even think about signing up, because for the money you're planning to spend you don't want to look at the trophy on your mantle and start to wonder.