Dance Articles > Article on centering

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by HF, Nov 22, 2005.

1. HF

HF New Member

Hi,

I have found a very instructive article on the topic of centering written by Skippy Blair. Although she mainly teaches swing I think this appeals to almost every dance style, if not all.

Centering by Skippy Blair

More articles worth reading (their principles may need adjustion to other dances but seem very valuable for me)

3-Toe Base by Skippy Blair

Critical Timing by Skippy Blair

Rolling Count by Skippy Blair

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2017
    Joy In Motion likes this.
  2. lynn

lynn New Member

wow, very helpful articles, thanks!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. Thanks, HF. :)

4. HF

HF New Member

Always to your service ;-)

Seriously, these articles are so straightforward - only a very experienced teacher can write so essentially. The balance center exercise stunned me.

5. africana

africana New Member

awesome! I can definitely vouch that having the abs muscles pulled up and in, with shoulders down and back work wonders for spins! It's something I have been focusing on the last couple of months, especially because it's not automatic when dancing with primarily shorter leads to maintian a good center

In pilates and balletone classes there are excercises that focus on core and balancing on certain points of the feet (like the 3-toe technique)

good article

6. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Indeed. I have an "image" in how to achieve this balance. I imagine a sunny day and I want to get some tan on the area around the collar bone. Then I automatically lift up my chest and pull back my shoulders - just to make sure the shaddow from the head and jaw don't fall on the collarbone. It feels just like the squeezed banana but I don't have to think about squeezing. I just think about the sun & the suntan.

All of my dance improves with help of this image, not only spinning.

Great article!

/luc

7. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

africana...i've heard you mention balletone a few times? What is it? and is it good for salsa?
    Jeni

8. africana

africana New Member

Hi Jeni - balletone combines ballet balance, control and lengthening excercises with pilates, good core strengthening workout! tho I haven't been to class in while ;)

9. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

thanks!!! :)

10. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

After only a quick peak....great articles. I'll have to log back in when I have some additional time to truly appreciate the wisdom (I'm on lunch at work). Thanks!

11. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

great articles, trying out those exercises, thank you so much for sharing!

12. Dancer4Life2

Dancer4Life2 New Member

Great articles!
    Thanks!