Ballroom Dance > Videos > Arunas Bizokas & Katusha Demidovs Waltz WSS 2008

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Dapenda, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

Of their 2008 WSS dances, this is my favorite one:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Casey

Casey Member

Wow! thanks so much for posting - that's just gorgeous - I love the way Arunas turns to Katusha after the lift -- who is singing? Josh Groban or someone else?

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

magnificent. she is gorgeous, what sometimes I think its a shame the guys are in black though - makes it hard to see them with spotlights and without backlighting...

technical question - how does she NOT get virtigo in all those pivots with her head so far out there? I mean one cant point...

4. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Absolutely fabulous.....they are my favorite standard couple right now....love them

5. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

It is quite a lovely waltz.

I think you'd find that the original video from which the youtube post
    was cribbed is much clearer.

-wcc

6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Tooooo.....beautiful!!!!! thanks so much for posting!!!!

7. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Yes, I love this music too! The song is Amore E Musica, and the artist is Russell Watson. It is available on iTunes, but the version in the video seems to be slower -- perfect for slow waltz. If anyone knows where to get the version in this video, please let me know.

8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Beautiful song and dancing but is it me or the video not synched with the audio correctly? It just seems like they are off the music the whole time. It's either poorly synched or they are really not dancing to the music. The choreography definitely doesn't hit many of the musical piece's highlights - it would be even better dancing if it were more musically interpretive... One advantage of showdances is that the dance is choreographed to the song and it's really unfortunate when the dancers are still dancing as if the song was just spring on them last minute:(

9. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

Hmm... I dont think it's me. They're not always on every measure,
    I looked at check points 0:45, 1:13, 2:45, they match and the video doesn't change speed the entire time.
    If you look at the version on my YT channel, there's a bit smoother but less detailed version of the same video. Maybe that helps

10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Their opening natural at 0:52 is also exactly on. I do agree that the connection of their dancing to the music seems quite tenuous through much of the piece. There is at least one nice highlight match, though, the spin acceleration at 1:18.

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'm re-posting this from our sister site SalsaForums.com because it is so germane to the discussion at hand.

(Original post by Lucretia; grammar, etc., cleaned up slightly here, since the OP came from a non-native English speaker)

12. Tangoqueen

Tangoqueen New Member

My coach always plays that Waltz at the studio!!!
    She's so great, I'm mesmerized by her footwork! Wish it was me, every time I see Katusha. LOVE her pivots, smooth as butter! Ok, ok, I'll stop gushing.....!

13. Tangoqueen

Tangoqueen New Member

Hey, I recognized you from youtube! I'm subscribed to your channel because of all the great ballroom clips you have! Thanks so much for posting them, keep it up!

14. ashybang

ashybang New Member

Opening natural - Right foot lead is on the 2 beat instead of the 1 beat. Hence right foot close is on the 1 beat and not the 3 beat as it should be.
    This continues throughout the video. . . Very strange.

The dancing is amazing and i love it.

15. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Yes, very tenuous. I thought it was the recording but I really don't think so. Dapenda has Mirko and Alessia's 2007 waltz in her little bundle that you see when this video ends and their waltz is amazingly musical, quite the opposite of "tenuous"...

16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

yap I came accross OP's youtube goodies too! All cool stuff! Big thanks for sharing!

17. Yuan Ren

Yuan Ren New Member

WSS 2008 on Youtube

I have nothing to say......

Any attempt to describe this waltz with adjectives will result in failure.

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Wow. The applause lasted longer than the actual dance!

19. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

My favorite couple this year was Jonathan and Hazel. Their foxtrot and quickstep I especially enjoyed. There was so much "fun" in their routines, and I have never seen Hazel like this. I feel like neither had much to lose, and they went out there and had a blast, and it really showed.

20. swan

swan Member

I agree totally! I saw them at Embassy and their performance outshined any other couples on the floor. They placed only 2nd, but they're definitely my winners.

I do love this waltz by Arunas & Katusha. So beautiful. That's their best performance I've seen (not that I have seen too many - only saw them in person at their OSB debut, Embassy and then glimpses of their performance in blackpool & UK Open video).