Ballroom Dance > asian mind set vs european/america mind set

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

I might be in hot water here but I was just thinking....Asians are not as outspoken and are not as expressive as americans/Europeans (IMHO) so I was thinking you don't see too many top Asian dancers in the world over the years, it's mostly Europeans and americans in the top tiers. I've watched Asians compete and although they have the same dance moves they seem to lack something. when I watch Europeans/americans they have something extra (like more expressiveness). Sorry I don't mean to offend any race but it's just my observations or prejudices. I was wondering if anyone see the same thing.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Until very recent times. the Japanese were very high profile in BR and Latin at B/Pool.festival

MaggieMoves and ajiboyet like this.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And now the Chinese are coming up.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  4. ballroomdancertoo

I once heard that the Chinese ballroom dancers trained very hard in ballet and then jazz and then ballroom but even at that young age and training you don't see a predominance of top tier in the world class competition.

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

6. tangotime

I believe they tend to compete in the Asian comps more, and to go to the UK is probably out of their financial capabilities.

Mengu likes this.
  7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I would be of the opinion that ballroom dancing came to Asia later, at least in any significant way. I think a lot more will develop in this area in the years ahead. Sometimes expressive equals recalcitrant, and there are quite a few careers that were shortened. :)

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

To ascribe individual personal attributes to groups collectively is almost always a mistake.

9. tangotime

They were doing comps in the 50s ( I was there then for a brief visit ) and Scrivener had lectured there in the 70s when BR was well established .

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I dance with a Japanese pro... she did spend time in England and she is as expressive as any westerner I think there are exceptions to your assessment

Purr likes this.
  11. tangotime

One dancer, a summer does not make (Hope Will. did not mind :D )

12. Mr 4 styles

I was referring to the broad generalization of the OP

13. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think there are much larger dance events happening in China now than in the past, but I lack the information to confirm this assumption. When it comes to music, TV and movies, China has way more consumers than the US. With the growth of the internet in China (731 million users to the US' 323 million users and Europe's 252 million), as well as the popularity of movie theaters, there are significant cultural changes taking place. Somehow I'm pretty sure ballroom dancing fits into this change.

14. ralf

ralf Active Member

Meet Hong Kong's 1958 cha-cha champion.

15. ballroomdancertoo

picture! picture! picture!

16. Mr 4 styles

It's Bruce Lee

17. ballroomdancertoo

hah thought so! I saw a video of him doing the chacha!

18. ballroomdancertoo

19. I'm Asian and I tend to agree with the OP. It's not racist. There's nothing wrong with asking these type of questions.

Asians are brought up both by their parents and the education system to be more subservient to authority. Also, our parents are less affectionate and more strict. Asians, particularly the males, tend to repress their emotions in public more. We only really open up with close friends and family. In public, we tend to repress how we're feeling. It's just an automatic thing.

I agree that Asian dancers should be more expressive. I have the same problem. Even though I grew up in the west and I'm highly westernized, I still have this confidence problem in expressing myself.

20. ballroomdancertoo

here's an eye opener.... watched Japanese kids on a dance channel doing cheerleading contest. they expressed things with their mouth wide open..so I thought, ok, this is a new thing for expressing excitement....I just watched a tv program with ballroom dancing for kids (like 7 - 10 years old) and they did the same thing! they would express a certain movement with their mouth wide open! I couldn't believe it, so unnatural.