Tango Argentino > "Assasination Tango" w/ Robert Duvall

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DanceMentor, Mar 4, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Read full review at Filmcritic.com.

Also, it looks like there are some spectacular dance scenes in the movie. You can see a clip with dancing on the Assasination Tango website.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I understand that the movie premiers in Philadelphia this month and it is followed by a free Milonga. Does anyone know the date?

3. DanceMentor

According to http://www.users.voicenet.com/~michaelv/:

4. golddancer

golddancer New Member

I just watched this last night on DVD, it was good. I expected to see him dance more. I think I would have like to see real lessons start at the dance club Frankies instead of just his imagination.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey. I didn't know the DVD was out. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to get that one. Any movie with dance scenes in it, is a movie I want to see. 8) :D

6. will35

will35 New Member

If you don't count Geraldine Rojas dancing through the credits, there are maybe ten or fifteen seconds of dancing in it. As a serious movie, it is even worse than it is as a dance movie. The plot sounds more like a Mel Brooks comedy than a serious movie. I wish now that Mel Brooks had thought of it before Duvall. It would have at least been funny. Think of it, a hired killer goes to Argentina on a job and learns to Tango instead. With all due respect to some of the most talented dancers there are, Copello, Monti, Paiva, Nieves, it is just boring. More dance, less Duvall please. Very indulgent, typical hollywood, let's stick in a love interest and hired killer and horse race and political stuff so we can sell this thing to some people. And guess what, it was a flop, anyway. Why not just a movie about a guy who goes to milongas? Or a woman? Or a couple?

7. DanceMentor

I never bothered to go and see this movie. I guess I didn't miss much. I would have thought that there would be more than 15 or 20 seconds of dancing in the movie, especially since Robert Duvall is a tango buff. Why even put the word "tango" in a movie if there isn't going to be dancing? Maybe they should have called it "Last Tango in Buenos Aires". :lol:

8. pygmalion

Oh bummer! I was hoping to see some actual dancing. I'd heard he's not a great dancer, but still, a few minutes of dancing would have been worththe DVD rental. Boo! :cry:

Maybe I'll just buy another Daniel Trenner video. Then at least I'll get to see dancing.

9. will35

will35 New Member

Don't worry guys, someday there will be a good Tango movie to satisfy everybody. It will have lots of dancing, lots of the history of people who dance a lot, and it will please the people who want a good story, too. It's just that Assassination Tango ain't quite it. Until then, we can maybe watch Adam Boucher's thing with Copello over and over. It's not too bad. On the other hand, I have seen Geraldine Rojas and Javier dance in a milonga in Buenos Aires, and it was worth ten times Assassination Tango. It was no show. They were just dancing with everybody else for fun. I have yet to see Maria Nieves or Orlando Paiva in a milonga, but I'll keep watching out for one or the other. Maybe I'll make a movie about Tango someday. There was one good scene in Assassination when they taught Robert Duvall how to lead an ocho as he was leaving the bathroom. I saw the DVD recently to see the scenes they cut out. It could have been a good movie if they had made more scenes like the one with Geraldine combing her hair in the mirror and talking to Luciana Pedrazza. It was one of the few things from the movie that actually looked natural.

10. golddancer

golddancer New Member

I was hoping to see more dancing too. Especially since he loves the tango so much and was in a documentary about arg. tango

11. will35

will35 New Member

That documentary was not bad, but it was mostly when he was sitting in a hotel room talking about the Tango. It seems when stars have complete control over their own work (Duvall, Sally Potter, Carlos Saura) it justs becomes about them and not about Tango. I'd love to write a movie about some old milonguero who has been dancing the Tango for about fifty years whose wife died and he goes to the milongas again now like he did when he was a kid. I even have a guy in mind for the role, but I would have no control over what they do to the script after it leaves my hands. It would probably end up with John Travolta and Britney Spears as the stars. Do you see what I mean? Hollywood stinks, no matter what country you move it to. It is about consumption.

12. pygmalion

Good point, will. Big studios usually buy commercially attractive movies, not the kind of quality stuff you're talking about.

13. lokat

lokat New Member

Gosh, maybe I saw a different "Assassination Tango", which I just rented. I found it very affecting, almost mesmerizing. Lots of beautiful dancing, don't know how much more could've been in it. Not meant to be an adventure or a comedy. Hypnotic is how I would describe the beauty of the dancing, and several dancers were featured, not just Duval.

14. pygmalion

Hi lokat! welcome to the forums. :D

I haven't seen it yet. :oops:

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Glad to have you join us lokat! I never went to see this as it got "dissed" over here!! Hmm...I guess one's perspective depends on how much one knows about/does Argentine Tango. How much dancing would you say is there? (For instance, 10 minutes out of a 100 minutes?)

16. DanceMentor

Ok, I started this thread, so I am responsible for watching this movie!
    I just rented it from NetFlix. I also just rented the 1993 International Ballroom Championships with the Hiltons and Donnie and Gaynor. I actually have this one scheduled to ship first. I'll give you my thoughts about Assassination Tango within a week.

17. pygmalion

Huh? Netflix has ballroom competition videos available for rental?

18. pygmalion

I checked. Only a couple videos -- none of the new ones. I also checked dancescape, though. They have pay per view dance videos, available to the U.S. if you have high speed internet access.

19. DanceMentor

Yes, just a couple is right. I just watched the Ballroom Championships from 1993. It was pretty cool, but the music was on of those ballroom orchestras. I enjoyed watching people like Killick and van Amstel from 10 years ago. They also had full shows by Donnie and Gaynor and Marcus and Karen Hilton.

I should have Assassination Tango near the end of this week.

20. lokat

lokat New Member

movie, Assasination Tango

Sagitta: I'd say at least a third is dancing...it intersperces with his assasination job, and goes in and out of his imagination, and he watches some, and he learns, and others show him how, and others perform.