Tango Argentino > "Assasination Tango" w/ Robert Duvall

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DanceMentor, Mar 4, 2003.

1. jon

jon Member

I don't know how much market there is for travelling international assassins, but leaving out the "hired killer" part, it's plausible enough on its face. Not unlike like Daniel Trenner's story of how he got started with Tango, in fact.

2. sams

sams New Member

Will I couldnt agree with you more

this picture could have been great with less Duvall in it. It really annoyed me to see him try to dance with Luciana. then he made us witness a love scene with him in it. This guy must think he is Johnny depp instead of the 100 year old troll that he is.

3. sams

sams New Member

song title anyone?

In the movie assasination tango, does anyone know the song that Stella sang? It was a cha cha.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Haven't seen that movie yet, but welcome to the forums Sam!! We are happy to have you join us. :D

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Re: Will I couldnt agree with you more

LOL! :lol: :lol: What does 100 year old have to do with it? He's always been a troll. Ever see To Kill a Mockingbird? 1962 (I think) and he was no looker, even then. :lol: :lol:

welcome, sams. :D

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Re: Will I couldnt agree with you more

slag Duvall all you like but leave us trolls out of it!
    We're suing Lord Of the Rings for racial stereotyping asi that wasn't bad enough.

fol-de -rol

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I resent that last remark...my last name just so happens to be Duval! :evil: :lol: (just kidding)

I'm sorry to say I did rent the movie, but I fell asleep about halfway through. I wouldn't recommend the movie.

8. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, my Lord, what a horrifically bad movie. I'm with you DM, but unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of falling asleep during it and, I suspect, if I had, I would have had nightmares.

Here's my little summary, bad acting and bad storyline. The only redeeming feature of this appalling movie was the bits of tango interspersed throughout.

Argh! I want those precious two hours of my life back, thank you very much.

It wasn't even released in cinemas here. It went straight to video and it's patently obvious why. It was very nice of Duvall to make a movie about tango, but it would have been a bonus if it was watchable. eek.

I was so distressed after watching it, I had to go and soothe my nerves at a milonga. :))) Am all better now.

9. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Many of the European comps still use orchestras today. Even Blackpool uses a live orchestra. Not my idea of great dance music.

It certainly is fun watching a championship from 10 years ago. Aside from the obvious changes in costume styling I was fascinated by the subtle changes that have taken place in technique. Not so much in how a step is danced because the steps haven't changed, but in the subtleties of connection and styling and shaping.

What I found particularly interesting as a Canadian was in the way the 1993 championship dissed the Canadian couple in the Standard competition. All the other couples were named except the Canadians who were just announced as a number. I'm sure it would have been no different had they been Americans. Those couples on this side of the pond still have a tough time being recognized in those international European comps.

10. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ok, I admit it. I enjoyed Assassination Tango.

The plot was sometimes dull and slow paced. The playfulness between Duval and his tango teacher in the cafe over coffee keeps you guessing about them like the old movies, and was much better then Duval's sex scene which was a waste of film. However, the Tango was wonderful! I liked the music and the dancing. I have replayed the dance shown during the credits over and over again. Rojas and Veron are marvelous! I have even gone through the film several times in fast forward to view just the dance portions. And by the way, there could be more, but thankfully there is more then 10 seconds of dance.

11. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

You guys can be merciless!

Can the film really be that bad? I mean, it's Robert Duvall, right? He's not a bad actor. 100 year old troll? Is Dance Poet really the only one who liked it?

Well, I'm going to see it anyway. See for m'self.

12. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Go for it GR!