Tango Argentino > AT: is it too much for ballroom beginners?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Twilight_Elena, Dec 31, 2004.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

2. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

My computer does not open the file :x I had some problems like that for the past few days!! Really frustrating!
    but thank you for your help newbie!!! :kissme:

I will view it at a latter time!!! you are the best!!!
    :friend:
    Sobrero

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

a boleo is the result of the leader arresting the followers pivot in the middle of its movement, causing the leg to flick up. Requires relaxed leg of the follower ( and I can't emphasise that too much!) and basically works like a whiplash through the torsion of the upper and lower body

4. maleva

maleva New Member

Hello,

I agree with Pascal -- the leader always determines the timing for ochos and the follower must be ready to follow any speed. An embellishment should not disrupt the lead in any way and a good follower can put them in between the ochos without changing the timing of the lead.

A boleo is a back pivoting ocho that is suddenly changed into a forward pivot or vice versa. This sudden change of direction of the pivot causes a disassociation in the follower's torso and the hips snap around to catch up with the top half. The free leg is often lifted in the air to emphasize this snap.

cheers,
    Jennifer

5. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

Thanks for the long description of the boleo Bordertangoman and Jennifer :D :D it was really enlightening! :D :D :D
    I have seen this move many times and I am positive that I did it in my last lesson without realizing it :shock: :wink:
    I might be wrong but I think that in AT you don’t have to actually know all the moves and steps. All you need is to be a good follower and of course dance with a good leader! :wink: :wink:
    Thanks again for all the advice and explanation you are all great
    :friend:
    Sobrero

6. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Per se this may be true. But this approach "Taking classes? I don't need it, I'll go to the milongas, dance with good leaders, and just follow" unbalances classes, and slows the leaders improvement process, as they find themselves without a partner for classes.
    Then, either they'll insist on coming (despite knowing they won't benefit of the class), or they leave A.T
    Also, I've heard more than once, during milongas, women saying "I'm new in A.T and I'm not taking classes, but I have the rare gift of being able to follow very well the very good leaders." This is an illusion, as advanced leaders adjust their lead to how the follower actually (and sometimes wrongly) interprets their lead. But they adjust so quickly and smoothly that the follower isn't even aware of her mistakes.

7. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

You are right of course!! and I am not planning not to go to AT lessons! On the contrary, the lessons will help me learn the correct way to dance AT 8)
    I don't want to be a bad follower and I hope that some day I will be able to understand and follow even the bad leads :D :D

Sobrero

8. jhpark

jhpark Member

Yay! Then you'll be able to dance well with me! Where are you located? :)

9. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

I am afraid that I am located a little far from you!! I live in Athens the capital of Greece! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sobrero

10. jhpark

jhpark Member

I just got excited when you said you'd be able to follow even the bad leads. :-D

11. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

As a tango "follow" I choose whether to accept or decline any, and every, invitation from the "leader". This especially includes my embellishments. I certainly hope they are not interpreted as "interupting" the lead but that they add a pause, some flirtation, some drama, a quiet space, something I give to the dance - all depending on the music, the dance, the mood, the embellishment. I also hope that the leader enjoys them and appreciates them. They are not to be dictated or predicated. Tango is so spontaneous and so "in the moment", I would be concerned about there being a sense of "interuption" by a beautifully presented embellishment.

I do know though of "secret leader's business" chats that help a leader know when to gently and caringly end an embellishment and lead on (not that I have been privy to these secret discussions :wink: )

Our teachers describe it sort of like getting ready to go out and getting dressed up and doing makeup and hair etc. It takes time and is not to be hurried - and the results are to be admired and appreciated.

12. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hey Twilight ... so how are things going with you and AT :?: Have you taken any more lessons :?:

Yes, we in ballroom first get so use to listening for the beat, AT kind of throws us for a loop at first. But if a person sticks with it you will discover how even as a follow you will be flowing with the music. 8)

There will be tunes we like, and tunes we don't, and there will be different tempos, and even sometimes multiple tempos within the same song, and sometimes even on top of eachother, but they are there, and once you learn to hear them, flowing with the music, with your partner, and with the dance can become a magical experience. :D

And yes, if the leader gets how to do it, the leader will set the tempo based on the music. However, some of the lesser experienced and lesser trained leaders won't get it ... so beware. Such a situation will really test a followers skills to the max. ;)

13. DancePoet

So Sobrero ... are you still taking lessons, too?

Over the course of your other lessons have you begun to get a better hang of the tempos, rhythms, and leads?

14. DancePoet

Newbie, thanks for providing this clip!

I didn't know how to do an arrestre convoleo. I'm going to show this move to my SO via this clip so we can practice this combination of steps. :D

I was familair with boleos, but the combination leading up to it is a nice way to lead into it. ;)

15. bentivoglia1

bentivoglia1 New Member

AT vs ballroom

Hi Elena,

I'd say that the two require such fundamentally different technique that I wouldn't recommend doing both at the same time. However, the less ballroom technique you have acquainted yourself with so far, the better; I know from personal experience that it can be quite hard to get rid of the typical ballroom posture, giving lead with your arms, dancing on instead of in the floor, etc. On the other hand, switching from being an experienced AT dancer to doing ballroom will probably be rather difficult as well; anyone's any stories?

So: decide what's more important to you (ballroom or AT) and start/keep on doing that. Good luck practicing,
    Niels

16. DancePoet

I've been doing both.

My theory is if you train your mind to conciously move in the direction of the dance style you are doing, then you can get your body to do it. :cool:

17. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I think ballroom is the thing for me. :D And, to tell you the truth, the AT scene over here grossed me out a bit because of several guys that are pretty slimy, if you get my drift. Of course that's no reason to dislike AT; I, for one, find it very interesting. But due to lack of resources and my current dislike for the kind of men that lurk in dance classes, I'll pass on AT for now and focus on my ballroom skills.
    As for doing both AT and ballroom at the same time... I believe it is doable. Certainly it holds several difficulties but I believe that the ability to change your style according to the music and the dance is what makes a great dancer in the end. That's why I took salsa classes along with ballroom for the past year (till they stopped them :-()

Twilight Elena