Tango Argentino > AT is sooooooooo kewl! :D :D :D :D

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Genesius Redux, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Just wanted to drop in with a note--I've been involved with ballroom for around six years or so. Took my first private AT lesson today. OMG, this is so way kewl! You actually get to listen to the music and do your own phrasing, without having to be stuck in patterns and counts that may or may not square with what's going on.

I had an hour with a teacher who'd studied Argentine years ago in California; my ballroom teacher and pro partner doesn't know anything about Argentine. So for Valentine's Day, instead of the usual Godiva and lillies and stuff, I've scheduled an hour with my ballroom teacher and double-booked it with my AT guy--so she gets an hour of just playing around with Argentine and not having to teach.

This dance totally rocks the universe--I've been madly trying to catch up on all the traditional composers and bandleaders and I'm learning about the new guys (I'm a musician, so I pick it up pretty quickly).

Anyway, I'm like super excited! I can't wait to dance more of this!

GR

2. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Welcome to our addiction :rolleyes:

We'll be your "Support Group." :cool: :applause:

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

HA HA HA HA!!!!! WE'VE SNARED ANOTHER ONE!!!!

See???? This is what we keep talking about. Now you understand. :)

The freedom truly is amazing. (Which really only makes switching and starting to learn standard that much more stifling.)

Welcome to the dark side!

4. Peaches

A bit of advice, and a request on behalf of followers everywhere.

Don't think of AT like a ballroom dance. Please.

When you think of AT posture, get rid of any notions you have about tango. If you've got to compare it to something, compare the posture to paso. But not with any sort of hips-thrust-forward thing. (Based on my very limited understanding of paso.) Please. There's nothing worse than try to dance and being all offset and trying to follow that. Unless it's practically getting a shoulder jammed in your throat as a result of the offset combined with some idea about leaning forward to create a head connection.

OK. That's all. Thank you. Welcome!

5. Tanguera

Tanguera New Member

Welcome to AT :D

6. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hey! Haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back, and good to see you have begun to enjoy the pleasures of AT. :cool:

7. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I'm also a newbie. I think I'm liking it....alot.

8. Peaches

Welcome, Shooshoo!

Addiction loves company.

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Glad you have tried AT and are enjoying it. :)

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

have little announcement... spoke with BF last night... he wants to learn AT & to start taking lessons together...

he was saying exactly what genesius was saying about being free to listen to the music & express himself spontaneously & creatively, and i said "well, sounds like AT is your thing..."

he'd thought the same. so peach & ampster, looks like i'm all the closer to lighting the fire. which i intuit will turn into quite the blaze. <heh>

BF's comment: "from talking to dancers, it sounds like the two most addictive dances are AT & salsa". we'll be doing both. i'm happy to make room for more dance addiction. :)

11. Peaches

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I call AT and salsa "cult dances." There's just something about them. And something about the dancers. Be ready to defend your ballroom dancing--I don't know how many times I've been told that I should give up ballroom for AT (so I could focus on it, b/c I've been told that it's 'my' dance).

Go look up Luis Bianchi. Fabulous teacher, an absolute sweetheart, and right in NY.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

knew you'd like that one. <g>

i am hopelessly passionate about international ballroom... deeply in love with it... have heard what you're saying from my previous ballroom teacher who "warned" me a year ago that he'd seen so many ballroom dancers lose the ballroom upon getting into AT. but i see years of ballroom competition ahead of me. AT will be for deep pleasure of another sort...

i will keep this in mind. am waiting for some funds that i am expecting, and then i'll put a new phase of lessons into high gear. ;)

13. Peaches

I understand. One of the reasons I love my teacher is b/c he doesn't discourage the ballroom. Like I said, it's a cult dance. It can suck you in.

I know of several people who got sucked in and gave up ballroom. I can't give it up, but it's definitely lost some appeal.

If you really want to mess with him, ask him about teaching you to lead. I asked him about women leading when I took from him, and he was just about apoplectic. Very funny. Maybe being the US has changed that.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you are a sadist.

i luv it. *lol*

15. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

:D Your time has come samina! We knew you'd come around!

Woohooo!!!!

Yup, and I would be one of those people. :rolleyes:

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

less of a problem in the uk.. with dominatrices, Miss Whiplash, and Public(= private) school upbringing, all manner of deiviations abound.

Of course I'm perfectly normal.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my BF is from british columbia, w/ british grandmum... have teased him a number of times for being a kinky brit. *lol*

riiiiiiiight. ;) :cool:

18. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

*Gasp!* Peaches, It's not a "cult." It's a way of life :cool:

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

as are all cults...
    :cool:

20. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Oh, and before I forget. When you do take lessons, make sure you take them from a Tanguero and/or Tanguera
    One that I know in your area and have taken classes from is Mariela Franganillo, she's out of Dance Manhattan http://www.dance-manhattan.com/main_frame.php?cf=./content_teacher_display.php&ins_id=66