Tango Argentino > AT is sooooooooo kewl! :D :D :D :D

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Genesius Redux, Feb 5, 2007.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Well that is way over my head, but that's ok. Besides, many of the best conversations in life have tangents. No big deal. :cool:

Go for it GR! :cheers:

2. DancePoet

I've been known to giggle doing AT, and when I get the lady to giggle ... yowza! :cool:

3. DancePoet

I've seen some heavy duty ruminating and philosiphizing over on the other dance style forums we have on this website, too. ;)

4. DancePoet

Now that you mention it, I understand what you mean. :cool:

5. DancePoet

I have the same experience in my area with two tands of tango, sometimes even three before switching to one tanda of vals or milonga.

Could be a very good point. :cool:

And another! :cool:

I'm looking forward to trying four tangos in a row and see what happens.

6. DancePoet

As with most things in life, moderation could be best. :cool:

7. DancePoet

I feel this is a good way to do things with any dance style, and even if the leader has observed the follow's skills in advance of their dance. :cool:

8. DancePoet

I've done both, and continue to move back and forth between the two. :raisebro:

Thankfully, it isn't like what the Eagles describe, for there is beauty in both. :cool:

9. DancePoet

Ayuh. :cheers:

10. Tanguera

Tanguera New Member

Yes :)

I forgot to mention the following scheme: two tandas of tango songs, one tanda of milonga, two tandas of tango, one tanda of vals (of course, tandas are separated by a cortina). I usually like more this one.

11. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Tanguera, I wanted to ask you - where you dance, are there actually milongas where they play one tanda tango, one tanda milonga, one tanda tango and one tanda vals like you mentioned earlier?

I've just never experienced it myself and it would be interesting to see how that would affect people. Personally I love both vals and milonga, but maybe that's mainly because I usually only get two tandas of each in a night at the places where I dance.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my goodness... this thread sure has been active over the weekend...

BF pressed forward again yesterday with wanting to AT with me... need to get my dance budget straightened out... am so ready to kick things into a new gear. :)

13. Tanguera

Tanguera New Member

In the Italian town where I am from, there are three milongas and all of them follow the scheme two tandas of tangos, one of milongas, two of tangos, one of valses and the rule of having tango tandas one song longer than the milonga and vals ones. There were tango teachers from Buenos Aires who teached to musicalizadors to play the music like in BsAs.
    I have been to dance to several Italian towns, including Rome, and the musicalizadors played tandas following these rules.

In the Swiss city where I am staying there are several milongas: more than one per day, so you can choose between them the one you like most. There are musicalizadors who play songs with more *freedom*, others who play music in a BsAs way and others who just let a cd play all night long... I don't choose between them for the music sequence.

I like to know what kind of music comes next, but I don't mind if the musicalizador plays music at random.

14. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Aha, OK! I thought in one of your previous posts you said that only ONE tango tanda was played between milonga and vals, so there would be 50 % tango, and 50 % vals and milonga. TWO tandas between, as you describe here, is just what I'm used to and like.

The music is very important to me and I definitely prefer to have a pattern so you know what to expect. I can't stand it when the dj only plays say one vals and then switches to something else. Don't like it either if they play too many in a row...

I don't think everything has to be as in Buenos Aires, but there's a reason behind most of these traditions.

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who just doesn't care?

I love tango, vals, and milonga equally. I love traditional, instrumental, electronic, and alternative equally. Tandas, no tandas. I don't care. Just play music, and let me find a partner who can lead a nice AT.

It doesn't even have to be a milonga. I'll dance AT at a ballroom social if I can find a competent AT leader.

(I guess I'm just easy like that!)

16. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Me! :rolleyes: I dance AT to just about anything. I've actualy Tango'ed to AC-DC's Rock and Roll is the Solution.... It can be a tad weird at times, but it in a pinch, it can be done.

17. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

:raisebro: :cool:

18. Peaches

Oh dear. Now I've got girls giving me that emoticon.

19. Peaches

Dangit!!!!

Why can't you be living near me!!! Why, god, why???

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I soooooooo want the chance to dance AT with you. (*waves to your LW*--with all due respect to her, of course)

20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

You just make it so . . . easy. :)