Tango Argentino > AT Lessons: What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DancePoet, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Like one of the lines in my sig..... ;)

2. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I must always collect my feet. I must always collect my feet. I must always collect my feet.

3. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Except when doing rock steps on the "quick"...
    (just to mess with your head...) ;)

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

"Check right shoulder back, check right shoulder back, check right shoul...."

Oh wait,.. sorry.. that's my jumping mantra for skating....

5. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Not burning out.

I know, learning is supposed to be a journey, but it's really frustrating right now. I just don't feel like dancing. At all.

It especially discouraging when I hear people say that you have to dance for years before it becomes natural feeling. I almost wish there were milestones, like in the more structured dances. Something to work toward.

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hang in there. I think we've all been there.

I go through phases where I'm crazy to dance, and then other phases where I'm a lot less interested in going out. They come and go.

As for the frustration, you've said that recently you've had all your technique torn down and rebuilt. IME, this is the phase that follows--complete and utter frustration. Think of this as your milestone. I promise that when you've internalized your new technique it will come together even better than before, and it will feel wonderful. That's another milestone.

7. Angel HI

THIS IS COMPLETE BS! Please do not listen to these persons.

I understand, truly, your frustrations. All learning can be discouraging at times. I agree w/ Peaches... hang in there. Dance, by definition, is "normal" and "natural" movement put to a prescribed rhythm, timing, and styling. If it does not feel natural from thr very beginning, then something is wrong. Granted, perhaps what is wrong is that the dancer is not moving properly, but, if so, then this is a probleme w/ the dancer... not the dance. This is not such a bizarre comment. Many, many persons do not stand and/or walk properly. These are just 2 of the many attributes to learning dance.

AT is one of the most natural dances on the planet... much easier than BR. There is; no rigid topline, no sway, rise, lower, or syllabus of slows and quicks. It is based on the natural movement of simply walking in proper alignment and balance. I agree 200% that AT can be difficult. Yet, it is the lead/follow and interpretation of the dance/music that is difficult, not finding the natural feeling of the dance.

I would opine that you are a good learner, and a good dancer, and that the frustration which you feel is in trying to conform or confine AT to everyone else's opinions of what it should be; look like; feel like. My suggestion... take a short pause, put on the music, listen to it and remember why you enjoyed the dance in the first place, then simply begin to move as you feel. I will wager that you will be as natural as is required to dance AT.

Bonne chance, tanguera.

8. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Ha! :confused:

9. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Peaches, Angel, thank you both for the encouragement! I think I will take a few weeks off to consider and relax. :) I keep forgetting this dance thing is supposed to be fun.

10. Angel HI

It is fun. A huge poblem with it is that dance is an intensely personal and intimate activity. Everyone seeks something very intimate and personal from it. Persons are, mostly, too fragile in these areas, and forget, or don't even consider, that the 2e partner is not there to meet the needs, desires, and expectations of the 1ere, but to get something intimately and personally different from it, and this is the reason why the one doesn't dance in the same manner as the other.

When we start chastising partners for not doing something in the way that we want or expect it to be done, we are imposing our intimacy and individual expectations upon them. It's kind of like cutting someone off while driving, and then shouting that I have a right to change lanes when I want... of course, completely ignoring the others' rights to be there, as well. Rest, but return. Do not allow others to have such power as to stop you from doing something that brings you so much joy.

Sorry for the counselor rant. Thsi just comes as I am dealing w/ a similar issue w/ some others, and it burns my a..... :artsy:

11. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Working on feeling more comfortable with volcadas. Doing lots of practice on the pillars at my place of work (building has a metal frame so there are lots of metal pillars everywhere!), practicing keeping body rigid and trying not to break at waist at all.

12. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Dancing close embrace with short ladies ;)

13. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Define 'short' ;) It's all relative. I'm five foot four plus 3" heels ... so about 5'7 in heels. Ten years ago I was average height but girls are much taller these days!

Interestingly, the person I had my 'sublime tango moment' with is way taller than me and it was close-embrace, though not shared-weight. Do you do shared-weight with the short ladies? How do you adapt? I danced apilado with someone who was about 6" taller than me and it creased my shoulders/neck :( but I actually thing that was because he was too upright, almost BR style. I also danced canyengue with someone who was nearly a foot taller and he was such a good dancer as he really put a lot of thought and effort into adapting dancing with me, aww.

14. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Do I want trouble? :rolleyes: IMO "Short" is when the lady is 7 inches or more shorter than the man. So for me being 6 foot "short" is anyone who is 5ft 5 or less (in heels). So - good news - you just creep over the bar :p

"Comfortable" on the other hand would be someone who is 5ft6 (or more) without heels. 5ft 8 or 9 with heels. "Comfortable" means you have proper "chest to chest" contact rather than "chest to centre" or (worse) "chest to stomach".

"Shared weight" with short ladies is difficult. It requires very good technique from the woman (and the man). I have two girls I love dancing with who are about 5ft 2/3 - but they are both followers with many years experience

15. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

:cool:

They must be chest to stomach then?
    Fair enough, it's always more comfy dancing with someone of a similar height, which was why I was surprised I had such a sublime dance with someone so much taller than me, he's good, but not been doing it long, so I think I must be getting good, too :p

Sometimes I wish I could wear 4" heels but alas, I can't! It's not just height either, it's leg to bod ratio. Look at old clips of Javier and Geraldine - even though she's so short her legs are soooooo long and even though he's a bit taller than her his legs are short. Me, I'm 50/50 . My regular partner is 5" 11 and it's not really a problem. I have to make sure I do plenty of my hip loosening exercises. God, what you can get away with if you've legs like Lisa Snowdon :rolleyes:

16. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I am 6'2" so 5'10" is optimal, 5'9 could pass :D

If there is big height difference tall person is more vertical, so length of the step could be maintained.

taller person walks more like open embrace while dancing close embrace.
    So that centers can be on the same height.

17. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Yes chest to stomach. Im not much of a follower so I cant tell you exactly why it works. But I do notice :
    - they give a more than usually firm chest contact - this allows me in turn to lead clearly "down" from the centre
    - they both have good core muscles and do not "withdraw" from me when extending their legs back
    - they move and extend back decisively so that I never have to worry about my own stride length (I shorten this but not to a point that I have to compromise myself significantly)

Does this sound familiar to others?

18. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I am very aware of where my ribcage is and how it's positioned (I learnt a lot just by looking at Geraldine Paludi at a workshop). I work on my abdo muscles as part of an excercise I do to with my hips... core muscles quite strong and if I feel they're lacking, I consciously pull them in like I'm wearing a belt, in tandem with having the ribcage in the right place. Def don't 'withdraw'. And even though my legs aren't long, my back extensions are my strong point, I get so frustrated at leggy ladies who don't use them!!

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

i'M at bar height at 5' 5" and a bit; you led me alright. I quite agree about the range; six inches either way suite me; but leg length plays a factor too; if your the same height at the hips everything works better.

Nuff said about ladies who dont withdraw; cough

20. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Bless you :p

Well turn it round - what are the keys for you with leading a tall woman?

ps Ms Sleeper, I look forward to our dancing (some day) .. :)