Tango Argentino > AT Lessons: What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DancePoet, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Had a lesson w/ my first teacher and his partner. Very very cool. Worked on moving by working the distance between center and hip. Totally changes walking, and molinete's especially. Very nice. (Finally had someone really be able to explain the whole "center" concept. FINALLY!!!)

Also worked on volcadas. Was very apprehensive. But, the added bonus of having a girl there to help teach is that she was able to point out a little something which completely changes the feel of the entire thing, and makes them easy and not-scary. HALLELUJAH!!!! Slightly flex the knee of the supporting leg, to the point of pulling the heel off the floor. Also, tuck the pelvis under. OMG. Completely different feel. So freakin' easy.

Happy to discover that my free leg is getting significantly free-er. Boleos and other fun leg thingies not so much of an issue anymore. Well, at least not with my left leg.

2 hour volcada workshop today. OMG my abs are SORE. Ow, ow, ow. And my lower back, as the result of a know-it-all leader--this is going to hurt for a few days, I think.

2. Peaches

First AT lesson with my teacher in a long while. Soooo wonderful--why do I even bother with standard, since I can't seem to convince myself to care even fraction of the amount that I care about AT??? Oh well.

The topic of the day was overturned ochos. And forward sacadas. Wow, my overturned ochos suck. (OK, the regular ones aren't so hot either, but the overturned ones are so much worse.) Worked on getting my head weight completely over the standing foot, and increasing the speed of the pivot itself.

And why is it so damn hard to override instict to walk into someone else with a forward sacada. What a p.i.t.a. I KNOW what I'm supposed to be doing, but my brain is just like, "There's a freakin' person in the damn way!!!"

3. bastet

bastet Active Member

LOL...I'm sure those will get easier with time, just like anything else. Overturned ochos are fun. I've never found too much problem with walking in to a front sacada (unless the guy has forgotten to take all the weight off the sacada-ing leg :( , then there really IS a person in the way!) but back sacadas have always been a little tricky for me.

Overturned ochos do generally get used in a fast and aggressive fashion, but we had a clas last year with Alex where he and Luciana SLOOOOWED them WAAAAY down and made this really beautiful hybrid out of them with a calisita...sooo pretty!

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

what is a overturned ocho? please describe

5. bastet

bastet Active Member

In an overtuerned ocho the leader is leading forward ochos, but is overturneing them so that the follower is, in effect, stepping down line of dance rather than against it (or crosswise to it) as she normally would in a forward ocho. Usually, I have had them led on me with sacadas. I've tried leading them, but so far, I'm not good enough as a lead so all my explaination of them comes from the followers standpoint.

It gets used in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXYS9Awy9Fc

6. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

It's funny to lead the opposite way, i.e. the leader doing the overturned ochos and leading the follower so that she makes the forward sacadas.

7. Peaches

Don't forget the overturned back ochos! Not used as much, since you end up going back LOD, or the leader is.

8. spectator

spectator Member

You can use overturned back ochos to get in to mini vulcadas as well.

9. bastet

bastet Active Member

True- you can get little back volcadas if you jack with the back ochos- so much fun. I'd forgotten about the guy doing the ochos and the girl doing the sacada one- that's a good one too!

This past week we worked on a little sequence with a drag for both lead and follow ending with a simple colgada. (Actually, I saw it used in the video I posted earlier.) It's a fun move. Even more fun was breaking it apart and seeing what other options we could find for it. :)

10. Peaches

Controlling head weight. In overturned ochos. In a colgada-to-volcada transitions. Giros--extending the recieivng leg and delaying weight transfer.

Following. As always, following. Love the following bit.

I'm repeatedly tempted to start learning to lead, because I think it'd be interesting, and worthwhile, and would give me a deeper understanding of the dance. ... But then I have a wonderful following experience, and think that I just don't care. I love the freedom from that responsibility, and the utter selfishness of just following. It's so...intoxicating.

I'm finally understanding my first teacher's consternation and lack of understanding when I asked about women leading...he couldn't understand why I'd ever want to, when I was being given the opportunity to let someone else take the responsibility. My feminist sensibilities had been offended...but now I don't want to give up that special feeling.

In the next lesson I want to work on following in shadow (?--facing the same direction, left hand to left hand, right hands on hip) position. I saw him working with another student on that, and it just looks fascinating. And such an interesting way to tweak the brain in thinking about AT.

11. Peaches

Hmmm...seems I'm the only one taking lessons. lol.

Strange way of following--he used a term, but it was in Spanish so it didn't make any sense to me. Shadow, essentially. (Or is it cape?) Everything the same, except facing away from him instead of towards him...wow...talk about screwing with my brain. I wanna do that again!!!

And, of course, grounding and ochos.

12. Me

Me New Member

I'm glad you bumped this thread. When my notes from the Fabian and Carolina workshop come anything close to resembling written English, I'll paste some of them here. :)

13. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Doble frente?

14. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Nope, not just you. I've never stopped taking regular group lessons from the time I started... Come to think of it, I've taken no private lessons.

Now, I'm trying to do combinations of sacadas, during molinetes. Also, backward sacadas and enrosques.

To be able to do these, I also have to work on being able to torque my torso almost 90°... ouch, I'm getting old!

15. Peaches

I figured I wasn't, but it seems like I'm the only one who posts to this thread.

16. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

We're all keeping our tips secret :)

I'm sort of working on mini-movements at the moment - trying to break each step down into as many components as possible, and leading each component individually.

My partner has to have her eyes closed to work on this, as otherwise she can cheat by seeing my legs move ;)

17. jfm

jfm Active Member

our lessons are drop in so we have lessons on little bits here and there- it's not very consistent.

18. bastet

bastet Active Member

Mostly- more musicality issues and dealing with the fact that we appear to like 2 different styles of embrace...nothing much to post unless you like to hear about annoying dance squabbles....

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

what a nice post!

20. bastet

bastet Active Member

One day I'll have to sit down and figure out that leader "magic" of how these get done (so I too (!!!) can join the school of magic leading!) :nope:

I guess one thing I learned recently in a workshop (where I was leading) was a nice little sandwich at the crusada with a pasada for the follower, followed up by a sacada and part of a molinete. I still have trouble remembering to rotate my torso enough when I am leading...have no trouble with it while following...but can't remember to do it while leading....:?