Tango Argentino > AT Lessons: What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DancePoet, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Working more on milonguero style, and apilado. Not sure I'm a fan (despite originally learning in more of a milonguero style embrace), but good to know and work on.

Grounding. New exercise to work on it, which also incorporates ochos. Which, hallelujah, I can actually do at home in socks. Made a huge difference--not so much in my walk, which is still going to take time, but a huge difference in ochos. Especially overturned ochos. Much more stable and controlled.

Following in traditional milongas. Have determined that there are a select few things, at this point, which give me trouble and focused on those. Stupid corridas...

2. bastet

bastet Active Member

hey peaches- can you tell us what kind of grounding excersizes you are doing?

3. Peaches

Lessee if I can describe this...

Stand. Slide one foot forward, keeping the whole foot on the floor. Slide it forward by pushing down into the floor, and pushing your feet apart. Try to keep constant, even pressure. At the extent of your "step," collect the trailing foot and transfer weight onto the receiving leg by pulling the trailing leg forward. Again, keep the whole foot on the floor with constant pressure. Feel the moment of collection, and then continue with sliding the moving foot forward. You basically end up gliding, slowly, across the floor. (Remember when you were little and you'd go "skating" around the house in your socks, and your mom would yell at you? Kind of like that.)

Do that forward and backward. Then, change it so that you pivot as you're collected, so you end up doing ochos in a zig-zag down the floor. Start with a small pivot, and work your way up. The issue I had with this, moving to actually doing slow ochos as they were led (in open), was how to generate the power/momentum for the turn. The key there was prepping with the shoulders in the step prior to the pivot. Power the pivot by "swinging" the shoulder around, letting that transfer to the body and into the hip (which should be slightly lifted, although I've also been told the exact opposite by other teachers), before it ultimately transfers into the foot. Done right (still VERY rare for me), the pivot happens very easily, and is nice and controlled. And, since it's my problem, nice and balanced...which is much easier with a second foot on the floor. The heel of the standing foot stays in contact with the floor the entire time--with weight when receiving the step, then without weight for the actual pivot, then with weight at the conclusion of the pivot and for the start of the next step.

Hope that makes sense. And hope it helps.

4. bastet

bastet Active Member

Thanks for sharing! It's always nice to hear some other excersizes for things. That one sounds sort of similar to one I was taught for ochos. The good ole shoulders turn in direction of the ocho, hips catch up, step and collect...but I've never tried it with the pressing in to the floor part. I'll have to give that one a try.

I like using beach balls for these excersizes, helps keeps your shoulders from getting out of whack.

5. bastet

bastet Active Member

Why so???

6. Peaches

Why so, what?

7. bastet

bastet Active Member

"stupid corridas"

8. Peaches

With most leaders I don't have much of a problem with them. Most leaders, though, don't do what my teacher does with them, which is string several sets of 3 together, syncopate it all to blazes, REALLY cover ground with them, and move from outside partner to inline. Combine all those things, and I just can't get my legs under me fast enough and smoothly enough.

9. Me

Me New Member

Wrong 'C' for me. Right now I'm saying, "Stupid Colgadas."

I LOVE them, and am improving. But... man.

10. Peaches

Fascinating single lesson with a different teacher.

WHY, OH WHY can't I have the funds for lots of different teachers??? They each add their own perspective, and I'm supposed to be able to choose???

Lesson topics: pivots to back steps, relaxing. Just when I think I'm all nice and relaxed, he starts on the "you're too tense" part of the lesson. Egads. I wonder if some chemical additives would help achieve that relaxation any? ;-)

11. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

You've already got them. They're called endorphines. You just need to learn to control them. Kinda like controlled deliberate tension gone softer...:confused: Ok, even I didn't understand that one :rolleyes:

12. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

An excerpt from class notes sent out by my favorite instructor,

a series of three steps, called a "corrida". We worked on the back mover meeting energy WITH energy when the L asks for a corrida and not running away.

Small Steps and the power of the Back Mover - The couple walks and the back mover determines the size of the steps. Remember, this is ALWAYS the case, I'm just asking that the back mover does so more consciously. We are focused on asking for very small steps and the Fwd mover responding by increasing or decreasing the fwd energy according to the wishes of the back mover.
    NOTE: Leaders, paying close attention to how the F is stepping into the ground and the kind of step s/he wants to take is one of the most efficient ways to calm down your milonga. Again, it focuses you on where you are rather than where you want to be. It is centering.

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I'm working on how to get to a milonga avoiding flooded roads!:):

14. bastet

bastet Active Member

had a class on atypical drags that was fun. we turned on of the "typical" drags (one from a parada at a back ocho), dropped the body rotation for the follower and ended up with a drag to a cross.

15. Peaches

*sigh* Back to working on connection and following. Today was a rough day--following wasn't happening so much. I don't know why, but I just couldn't clear my head enough to let go and follow. Don't know what I was thinking about, but it was something. Slipped into the "thinking" instead of "feeling" bad habit of following. Was made to dance with my eyes closed, in open, which was tricky...especially with overturned ochos...on a "sticky" floor.

Couldn't get the tension out of my arms (especially) and back (to a lesser degree). If I had a nickel for every time he told me that I was getting in my own way with the tension in my arms...

Edit to add: There was one bright spot. We worked a lot on a particular combination, especially nice for milongas, that is one of my favorites. Really, really worked the connection, the rise and fall, and the amount of rotation. So.much.fun. I love that combo--a syncopated point/replacement, to something, to a syncopated turning cunita...lather, rinse, repeat. Also worked on cadenas, which are another all time favorite.

16. bordertangoman

ah cadenas; nice to get those Peaches

17. Peaches

Yes. Unfortunately, he's the only person I've ever run across who leads them. Maybe because it's such a ground-covering series of steps? Dunno, but it's a crying shame I don't get to dance them more.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you're able to teach, I'm willing to (try to) learn...

19. Peaches

Aw...that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Would be willing to, but I've never actually seen it done...only done the following bit. I've only got the vaguest idea of what I'm truly doing and no clue what the guy does.

Next time you show up for a Friday milonga, though, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we asked.

20. bordertangoman