General Dance Discussion > Average Age of Dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

When I got back into dancing eight years ago it seemed like the majority of people in attendance were 65+, but then more younger people started showing up.

The majority of Lindy Hoppers are college age which I find interesting and great to see.

Am I mentioning a national trend here?

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

well

With salsa/mambo there has never been a trend. It ranges from barely legal to as long as you can stand up you can dance... The one thing that keeps me going is looking up at the little old couple still loving every bit of the dance as I do. :D

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yeah I agree. I do find that the majority of the dancers in the salsa clubs I frequent are in the 21-36 age range.

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

depends on if you mean in the studio taking lessons or out at salsa clubs or out at country bars. we have mostly 25-50 yrs at the studio, 18-25 at salsa clubs (here in phoenix), and 25-40 in country bars etc etc.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The university here has both a swing and ballroom club for students. I think at least one of the high schools does as well. The studio where I go dancing often has a large crowd of teens whom I believe are part of a high school club that may have been started by two of them who are taking lessons. :)

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Same here, Spitfire.

A couple of local colleges have swing and salsa teams, that perform locally. The swing team even sponsors pretty good weekly dances with classes beforehand. Lots of lindy there.

A local high school also has a ballroom club. The last time I went to a USABDA competition, it was great to see them there. Beginners, most of them, but hanging in there and enthusiastic.

On the dance scene for grown-ups:

Swing -- the college kids and the 40 somethings
    salsa -- lots of 20 - 30 agers, but quite a few 40-60's mixed in, depending on where you go.
    Ballroom -- mostly 30 and 40 something's, with a few older folks mixed in.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You are really close with the ages . . . that's about what it is around here . . . although with WCS, there are a lot of 8 to 20 year olds taking lessons!

90 days, eh? What do want for your birthday?

8. pygmalion

Oh, and I forgot to include this.

There is one notable exception to age groups I mentioned above.

At the C&W club I frequent, there is one gentleman who is much, much older than the rest of the crowd, but still hanging in there having fun. He calls himself C., the dancing cowboy. He actually got business cards made up with "Dancing Cowboy" on them, plus his contact info. I'm not sure what for. The guy can't dance! :lol: It's such a hoot to see him trying to get a dance with unsuspecting women every Friday and Saturday night.

I guess that just goes to show, you're never too old to have fun. :)

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

pygmalion,
    Last year we met a guy who qualified for World's in Nashville . . . 80 years old! So, you are correct - you are never too old!

By the way . . . I've seen your replys on "clothes" . . . have you ever tried "Evening Star" dance boots for C&W dancing?

10. pygmalion

Yes. That's exactly what I want. To be dancing when I'm 80. :)

I haven't tried Evening Star boots yet, but, from what I hear, that's definitely the way to go for my next pair. The problem is finding enough cash to keep up with all my dance needs -- lessons, groups classes, clothes, coaching, plus a couple camps within the next few months. Dancing is a pricey proposition, if you want to do it right. :(
    But then, the dedicated (and somewhat crazy) person that I am, I generally find a way!

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yep . . . dancing when I'm 80!!!!

The Evening Star boots are worth every penny that you pay for them . . . soft, very flexible, and very light. Suede sole, hard rubber heel.

They are great for 2 Step, Polka, Waltz, Cha, NC2S, and ECS, but I change for a WCS. Just cannot handle the points for that dance!

12. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

really? wow, that's young! I'll keep you posted as to the birthday issue :lol: 8)

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

MissAlyssa,
    Yea . . . they are young . . . the youngest one that I work with is 12 . . . uncoordinated as hell, but wants to learn!

And . . . you can "post" me anytime!

14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

hey, I'm still unbalanced as hell lol :lol: