General Dance Discussion > "Awkward" dancer

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by sportzchik31, Jul 15, 2015.

1. sportzchik31

sportzchik31 New Member

I've been told by so many people that I dance stiffly/ awkwardly.
    I want to start taking dance lessons, but which type of dance would help me the most with dancing at bars/ clubs / parties? hip hop? salsa? jazz? etc.

Also say I only have time for 2 classes/ week, how long before I stop hearing these comments possibly?

Thank you!

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Given the venues mentioned, it sounds like you need some freestyle lessons. Maybe salsa.

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

#1 for getting unstiff in my experience would be African dance.
    Jazz has things like a body wave, so that could help.
    And, hey, welcome!

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Four beers, usually.

MaggieMoves, dancelvr and Loki like this.
  5. sportzchik31

sportzchik31 New Member

thanks guys lol i usually drink but i hate that if i dont want to drink, i usually deny invitations to go out dancing

6. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

It is a shame that there are very few venues where the focus is on just going out dancing for fun, and not as an adjunct to getting drunk. I'd like to change that locally, but most of the people who seemed most interested can't dance at all, and I'm not having any luck finding people who can give basic lessons in 4-5 styles that will be useful for such a group.

7. atk

atk Active Member

unless they are your teacher, ignore them. You will not get better by worrying about vague characterizations from people who aren't experts. Go find a teacher, or just go have fun.

raindance likes this.
  8. CaliChris10

CaliChris10 Active Member

Take many different classes and find what you like. Learn body isolations...get comfortable with your body and how it moves and you will de-stiffen :) Also dance as much as possible outside of class!
    What kind of clubs do you go to?