Dancers Anonymous > Baby Shower Ideas?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, May 2, 2012.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hello, Void. It's me again, back for more advice.

I will be hosting my SIL's baby shower (it's a girl). I need some ideas. And, for the record, I'll just come right out and say that I WILL NOT play the game where you taste baby food and try to guess what it is. N.O.T. NOT. (Perhaps this is what my boss meant today when, in my mid-year review, she said I have a tendency to be overly direct. LOL.)

I can come up with a game plan, get and send invitations, make foodles, organize other people bringing foodles, make a nice cake or two, decorate, yada yada. But...activities? Games? I'm stumped. Never been to one of these things before.

Help! :D

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

First. Be aware that all showers are lame, so if you're planning to buck the trend and host a non-lame shower, get over yourself. Not gonna happen. :wink: :lol:

You're asking for shower activities?

3. Peaches

Oh, I know it's going to be lame. They all are. I've accepted that as a fact of life.

I'm just wondering what sorts of shower activites we can do.

4. pygmalion

Okay. I freely admit that my post did not even approach helpful. I do not remember my baby shower. There were like a hundred people there (no joke) and it was not only a surprise; it was a shock.

All I remember is some sort of clothespin/icebreaker game in which people made small talk but were forbidden to say certain baby-related words. Say a forbidden word and forfeit a clothespin. At the end of the shower, whoever had the most clothes pins won ... something I can't remember.

There was also a TP game that I can't remember, which seemed to go over really well. It had something to do with guessing the number of squares of TP for something ... I think it was the number of squares of TP that it would take to go around my big, fat belly. :lol: I'll google it.

The biggest hit at my shower was the incredibly cute party favors. Little dealies that looked like diapers, with chocolate chips that looked like poop, etc. Lots of other cute stuff that baby lovers might enjoy.

The other thing is be careful. I had two women at my shower who refused to give me gifts because, in their culture, it is forbidden to give a gift to an unborn baby. They brought scrumptious food, but did not give me gifts until long after DS was born and healthy.

5. pygmalion

Okay: Favors: Fill with semi-sweet chocolate chips and you're good.

[​IMG]

6. pygmalion

Copied from about dot com -- this is for bridal, but could easily be adapted to baby shower.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

gah...showers...as bad as tupperware and mary kay parties......sorry...I got nothing

8. gracie

gracie Active Member

Do the melt the candy bar in the disposable diaper pass them around and guess what candy bar it is game. Realistic and gross! Take pictures when the attendees pretend to eat it. Have the men attending wear bibs, hats and carry baby bottle or rattle and do musical chairs to Disney music. We laughed ourselves silly with that one. Make up teams and do the Pacifier pass relay from person to person on straw in mouth. Have good prizes on hand. Google it. There are more.

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Not true, I have had two wedding showers thrown for me this spring already and they were awesome. But I think what made them great was there was a concept behind them... not just a "shower".

The first one was a "garden party", the decor and the gifts and the activities were all centered around gardening.

Another was dance video games related and we all played rock band, sang karaoke, ddr...

You could have a fortune teller, tarot card reader, palm reader, magician...
    You could go Victorian http://oldfashionedliving.com/parlour-games.html...
    Tabletop games... Everyone is playing Hungry Hungry Hippo right now, there's Operation, Jenga, Cribbage, Old Maid, Scattergories, dreidel, apples to apples, mad libs....
    Scavenger hunt for baby items...

just put a theme on it and have a great time!

10. pygmalion

Larinda is right. I've definitely attended some showers that were less lame than others. I've also attended some that were off the charts lame-o. Question: Do you know the guests who'll be at this shower?

11. pygmalion

I hate the mouse on this (DS's desktop) computer! It ate my post with absolutely no provocation. Just sayin!

Hard part w/ baby showers: Some people absolutely love oohing and aahing over baby clothes and other stuff while the victim (aka Mom to be) opens things and passes them around. The attraction escapes me, but some people really love it. Blech!

Let me get my thinking cap on. I'll try to come up with some best practices from the (probably a few hundred but seems like multiple billions of) showers I've attended over the years.

12. pygmalion

So this shower is for your GF who had the premature baby, right?

If so, 1.) The party has to be relatively quick and quiet. If the baby's in the house, baby comes first. Your friend will probably seem crazy to you, but I'll tell you what. Baby comes first, or Mamma's gonna go psycho.

2. I'm really cozying up to Larinda's theme party idea.

Luau: Hawaiian food (meatballs w/pineapple and pepper sweet and sour sauce,) favors with cute little grass skirts attached, a limbo contest, a fake beach. Everybody wears leis. Switch out the clothespin game and swap leis instead.... blah. (Not going to spend a lot of time brainstorming until you pick a theme)

This could be fun.

Will ponder other party themes. I know you're terminally skeptical, but is there a party theme you'd like or think your GF might like?

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm thinkin', what's wrong with just nice food, fresh flowers, presents, and a bunch of women gathering together with wisdom and humor to support the new mom...without any gimmicks or themes?

The theme is already provided: new mother needs support for the biggest change in her life to date. That's already kindova BFD, IYKWIM.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

IMV, the gift-opening can be the funnest part because of the conversations & stories that emerge.

15. Peaches

Actually, the shower is for my SIL. First kid (for her).

I do not yet know who will be on the invite list, but I know it will be all women (no men or kids, step-kids excepted).

She has said that she "doesn't want any of the stupid games to take up time, just a few for fun"...whatever that means. She also had said that she doesn't want to open gifts during the shower--she's one of the people who doesn't like oohing and aahing over gifts. Personally, I find that rather rude, and I've begun trying to steer her away from that position, i think successfully.

Argh.

16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Please do not play shower games. Not even of any kind.

Especially do not play the game where people all take a piece of string and guess the girth of the mom-to-be. That is the singularly worst idea ever, and yet fairly common. I would hate the games gracie mentions as well. (I love games for smaller get-togethers, but real games with strategy, like Scattergories, Apples to Apples, Taboo, Jenga, Scrabble, etc., not lame-o "games" that force you to pretend you are having fun doing stupid stuff.)

If you felt some kind of burning, compelling need to have an "activity," I would suggest having each person write a piece of advice (or a good wish) for the Mom to be on an index card (or some kind of clever die-cut colored piece of paper) and assembling them in a book or collage.

Otherwise, I would say eating, opening gifts, and visiting with each other is enough entertainment.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good call. people want to see the honoree opening the gift they brought. without that piece...why not just mail it in and call it a day? it deprives the group of a richer experience than just "oohing and ahhing". it's the gathering together and showering of support that happens during that exchange that is the *point* of a "shower", y'know?

18. Peaches

In theory, nothing. In reality...a group of women who don't really get along that well (at least some of them that I know of). Some way to keep people occupied at least a bit seems...prudent. (My MIL and her MIL don't get along. Tension abounds. Drama happens. Trying to avoid that.)

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am with ccm on this...and whether or not folks get along is on them...you are throwing a shower not performing a miracle...

20. pygmalion

I love this thread!

P. Take home message. *singing* You can't please everyone, so ya gotta please yourself.

Half a dozen DFers. Half a dozen opinions. Hmm.

Throw a shower and make it a party you'll enjoy. Done. :)