Dancers Anonymous > Baby Shower Ideas?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, May 2, 2012.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

P, you should go into the business of party planning. seriously.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, sami. Party planning is something that I love to do, for sure. :-D

3. latervet1

latervet1 Member

I have made a diaper cake before and it was really easy- not too terribly time consuming. I will post a pic later when I get to my home computer. 3 tiers of different sized diapers. i saved a lot of time by not individually rolling each diaper. did some in the center to get the base going and then kind of fanned them around the circle. I know i found this method on line somewhere and didnt come up with it on my own. Mommies to be were very much the cowgirls and one was cajun so decorated with farm animal toys and beaudreux's butt paste. they loved it. it sometimes helps to have a 2nd pair of hands to hold things while your tie the whole thing together. put some long sticks between the layers to keep things from sliding around.

4. pygmalion

Thanks. :-D

I saw a picture of one with the diapers fanned around. It looks classier to me than the one with every diaper rolled. I'll have to try it, to see which works best for me. (This method probably requires more diapers, too, but what the heck. If you've already bought a bunch of different sized diapers, you probably have plenty.)

[​IMG]

Note to Peaches: You can get the dowels at Lowe's, Home Depot, Michael's, Joann Fabric, etc. You probably already know this. Just saying it because I didn't know it, a couple months back when DS had to get dowels for a physics project. I'd only ever bought them at Wal-Mart and I don't do Wal-Mart anymore. I had to call one of DS's friend's Moms to find out where to buy the things. Dowels in various wood types, shapes, lengths and size. About a dollar each, depending on length and diameter.

5. pygmalion

Here's a link to the teriyaki chicken wing recipe. Super yummy and popular every time I've made them (Several times mow. *grin* ) Instructions: Plunk everything in the crock pot. Walk away for 6 - 8 hours. I use the chicken drummettes, because there's more meat on them, so I cook for about eight hours. Easy breezy.

http://www.food dot com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-wings-277167

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

P...that triple crockpot looks fantastic...I might have to look in to getting one for mum.

7. latervet1

latervet1 Member

They also sell the dowels for the cakes at any craft store that carries cake decoration stuff.

8. latervet1

latervet1 Member

these are the front and back pics of the one i made. Not highbrow but decorations are easily tailored to the recipients

Attached Files:

9. pygmalion

That is so cute! :-D Very encouraging. I'm definitely going to try it now. I like your method of non-rolled diapers. I think it's classier looking than the rolled one. Must google for instructions. :cool:

10. pygmalion

Ha! Apparently, the fanned-style diaper cake is called "boutique style." Very fancy. :lol:

http://www.instructables dot com/id/How-To-Make-A-Boutique-Style-Diaper-Cake/

11. pygmalion

Here's a video with instructions. This lady doesn't like rubber bands, but doesn't say why. *shrug* There are some neat tips here, though. For example, keep your diaper cakes away from strong smells (like the garlic from the baby shower food you're cooking ...) because diapers are absorbent and tend to hold onto funky smells. I never would have thought of that.

http://video.google dot com/videoplay?docid=1218773149794319858

12. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Peaches, I think it's great you are putting so much effort into a BABY shower.

I have no idea how many extra points you are earning, but I hope it's a lot.

13. pygmalion

Peaches loves her husband and is willing to try. Very special. :cool:

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Eh. The stupid offer was halfhearted, but out of my mouth before I could stop it. And it was being guilt-trippily fished for, and I'm a sucker for that approach. Then no one else ever offered, and I'm starting to see why. MIL has totally flaked too, which I'm not surprised at in the least. The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Anyhow.

Have some trivia, have onesie decorating, have some other little games. Decorations will be balloons (for the throne--great idea), tealights in pastel jars, and lots of flowers. Food: corn and black bean salad (easy, cheap, make-ahead), cucumber salad (thank you, P, for reminding me of this one!), and a spinach/field green and strawberry/goat cheese/walnut/vinaigrette salad. Bowl of fruit (or individual things)--prolly strawberries and blueberries or something. Meatballs for a crowd in a crockpot, some chicken thing in a crockpot (debating mahogany chicken drumettes, or the parmesan bites, etc). Possibly small sammiches of a sort. Prolly a crudite platter. Done and effing done.

Have to figure out how to use the space in SIL's house. I'm sure she'll have plenty to say on that front, so I"m not worried about it. Also want to find plenty of suitable music to have playing in the background.

My gift: diapers. Eff the rest of it.

15. pygmalion

Don't wimp out on making the diaper cake. You're my guinea pig! I was counting on you to tell me what NOT to do. :wink: :lol:

Good plan, btw. Downsize the details. Downsize your stress. Very good. :)

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm making the "cake.". I'm just not going to also get something else.

17. pygmalion

Thank you! I'm waiting for pointers and planning to take notes. *whistling innocently*

18. pygmalion

This looks yummy. I'm going to try this recipe, m'self.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Special-Summer-Berry-Medley

[​IMG]

19. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, Peaches. You are throwing her a beautiful shower, and on top of that making her a gift that takes a lot of time and effort. THAT IS PLENTY. I wouldn't even consider getting her something else.

20. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

That is A LOT! I know you are the hostess with the mostest, but let me assure you this is much much more than many many people would do. My mouth is watering just reading this. :)