Dancers Anonymous > Baby Shower Ideas?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, May 2, 2012.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OMG, that is so happening! I.want.one.NOW!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Question for the void: what are your thoughts on beverages? I realize that I'm a die-hard soda fiend, but most people aren't. At this point I'm thinking a pitcher of cold water (w/ lemon or orange slices or summat), a pitcher of unsweetened iced tea (with lemons and sugar/sweeteners nearby), and coffee. (I have an insulated air void--yes, I own an air void dispenser--so that's super easy and stays warm.) Do you think that's enough, or should I add juices and/or sodas or something? Wine, sparkling or otherwise (even though SIL obviously can't drink it)?

Dear god, why couldn't this have been a sit-down meal. So.much.damn.easier. And curse my parents (*shakes fist powerlessly*) for the method of hosting/entertaining that I learned from them! LOL. Why couldn't they have gone the cheap and easy rout, and showed me the same?! WHY did I have to pick up the formal dining/catering style?! Heh. At least I can pull that off. Not so useful, but good to know I guess.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

is it too late to just do the cake & coffee route? add a bowl of fresh fruit and lemon water and you're done.

have to say, that would be my approach. make it pretty & all but still... simple.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

peaches, I think lemonade and iced tea is fine...it's not like ya'll are snowed in and no one is going to have an opportunity to have their beverage of choice any other time that day

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the beverage plan you have is just fine.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I must have missed the mention of the bottle of Jack Daniels next to the iced tea...

6. pygmalion

Oh. Silly me. I thought she meant Long Island iced tea. :rolleyes: :wink: If her SIL doesn't let up, P is going to need one. A tall one. :lol:

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Tennessee Tea!

8. Peaches

Oh god...NO!

9. pygmalion

Inebriated pregnant women? Not pretty, Hilarious imagery, but not pretty. :lol:

10. Peaches

Oh, I can't get to that point...I keep getting stuck on the horrible memories of being ridiculously sick after too many Tennessee Teas.

11. pygmalion

I'm not gonna ask.

My GF's and I decided to give an impromptu shower for the guy friend I mentioned above. This coming Wednesday, the 18th (?) if his wife holds on long enough. It's the second baby, so they're not getting a lot of gifts, and need help. So we decided to keep it very simple. Any money we spend on food, etc, is money NOT being applied to the gift cards.

Two pastel blue disposable tablecloths from dollar store $2
    Diaper cake as centerpiece (donated -- it's a gift About $35 to make)
    30 cupcakes from wholesale club $14
    Blue punch (blue Hawaiian Punch plus sherbet) $7
    Cups and plates $5
    Blue cloud parfaits $8 - $10
    Summer Berry Medley $15 -- Kroger has a "Berry Festival" sale this week (I told you I was going to try this recipe, didn't I? :lol: )
    Two three-balloon bouquets from dollar store $8
    Two "It's a Boy" signs also from dollar store $2

12. pygmalion

Two layers of diaper cake done. I used the "boutique" method and ended up skipping the rubber bands but using ribbon instead. The rubber bands created an accordion effect, which probably wouldn't have been as bad if I'd used the individually rolled diaper method. With the diapers fanned and overlapping, a rubber band in the middle made the layer look like a woman with an extreme hourglass figure. Squished in the middle and plumped out on top and bottom. Cute on a woman. On a diaper cake, not so much, IMO. I'm going to finish the last layer tonight, and then take everything to work tomorrow, to assemble and decorate. Not time-consuming at all. Big thumbs up. I will definitely do this again. :cool:

13. pygmalion

Oh yeah and I used three different sized round thingies in the middle, because, with the method I used (the one on the video above,) each layer has a different number of diapers stuffed in the middle.

14. pygmalion

Okay. I finished the bottom layer (the one with the most diapers -- 48.) The biggest layer was definitely an adventure, compared to the other layers, because the outer diapers kept wanting to fall off. I ended up tying the layer together at about 25 diapers, then layering the remaining diapers outside that layer. Then I pulled the ribbon out. This doesn't make any sense, but it will, when you start putting your cake together.

Also, I should mention that I did not do the ribbon exactly the way the video described. The video says that you should tie the cake together with scrap ribbon, then glue your decorative ribbon to the scrap ribbon, wait for it to dry, then cut the scrap ribbon out from underneath. Sorry. Putting scissors that close to a pile of diapers made me nervous. So I didn't. I tied the scrap ribbon in a huge bow that poked up out of the decorative ribbon. (I used what I think is called a slip knot) I overlapped the decorative ribbon and glued it to itself, being careful not to get any glue on the diapers. When the decorative ribbon was in place and dry, I pulled on tab from the underlying scrap ribbon, the knot released and voila! I pulled the underlying ribbon out. Easy breezy. And no pesky scissors anywhere near the diapers. Very cool.

I'll let you know how the next steps go. :-D

15. Peaches

Final update: shower was today, and all's well that ends well. Translation: it went off without a single hitch. Mom-to-be had a good time, nieces had a good time, mother/mother-in-law had a good time, friend had a good time. I had a good time because everything went ridiculously smoothly. (It helped that it was only 7 people total--thank you flaky people and non-RSVP-ers.)

Older of two nieces was ridiculously helpful. Granted, that was partly due to my outright manipulation of her, but such is life. Plenty of praise, some carrots, and a stern conversation or two helps immensely. I'm sure no lasting damage was done.

I just wanted to extend major thanks to everyone here who gave me lots of great advice and ideas.

Now...time to relax...

16. pygmalion

You went through all that agony for seven people? Oh my goodness!

Not sure how/whether to say this, but perhaps there'd have been more attendees, had your SIL not been such a diva. In the words of many of my late, great female ancestors, "God don't like ugly." Just sayin.

I'm glad it's over and not at all surprised that it went well. Lots of planning up front (which is something you're good at) = events that go off without a hitch. Congrats. *sigh of relief on your behalf*

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

congrats to you...glad it went well...but, even if it hadn't, what you did was decent and kind and goes to the kind of person that you are...BUT, I am glad it was appreciated

18. Peaches

And SIL gave me a food mill as a hostess gift! Yay, food mill! :-D

19. pygmalion

fascination is 100% right, P. The fact that you went through all you did for someone speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.

And a free food mill is always a good thing. :wink: :-D

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

'Twasn't free. :p