bachatas

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by elisamaria, Mar 2, 2004.

1. elisamaria

elisamaria New Member

anyone know how i can get to the forums for the bachateros?? somebody please direct me to the bachata chats.

thanks

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi elisamaria. Welcome. :D

I have no idea where to find such chats, but I'll google and see if I can find any. While you're here, check out the salsa forum. There are a couple bachata threads there that you may want to contribute to.

Welcome.

Jenn

3. pygmalion

Nothing yet. Everything I've found so far has been a passing reference buried in a salsa page. I'll keep looking, though. :D

4. pygmalion

5. pygmalion

6. pygmalion

This guy might know something. Why not email him? From his web page, it looks like he's an authority on dminican music, and he gives contact in on his site, so why not? :idea: :roll:

www.demko.com/cb000313.htm

7. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Hey Elisa...

Well, you can start one up right here...

Let's talk bachata...

Who do you listen to and who do you enjoy the most dancing to?

8. pygmalion

I found this web site -- Dominican dance and music workshops. If you want, I'll email them and ask for info about bachata chat groups. Okay?

kiskeya-alternative.org/afrocarib-workshop/experience.html

9. pygmalion

10. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

I agree lets start a chat here. Why do you like or Dislike bachata? Me I think the music is very infectious and the dance itself is very easy for a beginner to pick up.

11. elisamaria

elisamaria New Member

bahcatas!!!

the reason i love bachatas is because they express the true feelings that people go through life and i know it may sound like a cliche; however, i do truly believe that they come from the heart of everyone, as if they know the experiences everyone has gone through, they seem to know exactly how pain feels at a particular time, especially when one is in love or on the rebound wanting someone back or when you try to forget a moment or particular person.

Elisa

12. pygmalion

You know, elisamaria, I think that's what a lot of people miss, myself in the recent past included. The see the relative simplicity of the STEOS of bachata, and they don't realize that every dance has much complexity and value, when you bring your spirit.

13. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

I would like to learn more about bachatas. Beside Juan Luis Guerra, could someone give me a list of great bachata music.

Fernando, I just came from your website. Good work!!

14. Suaveson

Suaveson New Member

I love bachata music/dancing
    (In between those exhausting merengue, salsa, cumbia marathons some bachatas is way for me to still dance and catch a breather. :p

I can help you out with some good bachata groups

Anthony Santos -(probably my favorite bachatero) - Pegame tu vicio
    El Gringo De Bachata
    MONCHY Y ALEXANDRA - La hoja en blanco
    FRANK REYES - nada de nada
    RAULIN RODRIGUEZ - medicina de amor
    Los Toros Band - Quizas si, quizas no, Mi Nina
    Alex Buenos - Que Vuelva

I have a some and a few people in my family have, in my opinion every bachata CD ever sold! :shock:

15. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Thanks Suaveson,

I'm looking to look for some of those artists you wrote..next week! Have a good weekend!

16. elisamaria

elisamaria New Member

bachatas!!

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOOK UP THE GRUPO CALLED AVENTURA, TRUST ME YOU WILL LOVE THEM ALSO YOSKAR SARANTE.

SHOKRON,

ELISA MARIA 8)

17. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Suaveson picked a few of my favorites...nice list...

Aventura is very cool, it's a newer style of Bachata with a different
    guitar but it is very cool.

El Ciegito is good.

Luis Vargas

Monchy y Alexandra (Very, Very good...)

18. brujo

brujo New Member

So here is a little history lesson I got from a Dominican coat check guy.

Aparently bachata was considered low class music by a lot of white middle class dominicans. They saw it as crass and unfitting for them, and merengue was the craze and biggest export of the Dominican Republic.

Then, there was a merengue contest in the Island, which was won by Juan Luis Guerra. When one of the judges was asked about his band, the judge replied, that band is a 4-40, which is some musical term for the most perfect something in music. Juan Luis Guerra will go on to record Burbujas de Amor, which was the first time a white person recorded a bachata and it gained acceptance by the the rest of the island. And this is how bachata started to gain ground...

Mind you, this is just the folklore that is circulated in a late night talking to a coat check guy.

19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'm blurry with merengue and bachata as I read of their history a couple years ago and haven't followed it since. But here is what I roughly remember.

The 4-40 name came, if I remember correctly, from the bar that Juan Luis Guerra used to play. I believe the bar was located in Santiago, which I believe is where el merengue tipico came from, or was it perico ripiao. Hmmm... Santiago happens to be the area where white dominicans are mostly consentrated. If you ever meet a white dominican, chances are they are from Santiago.

Bachata as brujo mentions was a Bar dance which meant that it was danced by those deemed "low-class" of the domican society. Bachata has been traced back all the way to the Cuban Danza. However, bachata wasn't the only music considered low calss in Domincan history, so was Merengue, not until, God, trujillo I think, got there and deemed merengue the dance of DR did it take off to what it is now. I'm pretty sure it came about because of a song made in his name when he took power. He tried to break class barriers and such and merengue was the seemingly way to do it.

Passed that all I see is blur... I appologize in advance if I've mistaken some info, so don't quote me. :roll:

All throughout caribbean music history there has been opposition to new trends in music by the "upper class". Rumba suffered it, son, son montuno, etc, in Cuba. Bomba, Plena, Decima, in Puerto Rico. Merengue, bachata, in the Domincan Republic. Pretty much anything that wasn't danza (White European Music) was deemed low class, hence only heard and danced by the "lower class" communities. Salsa, and any other of its members born in NY City suffered such fates as well.

20. pelao

pelao New Member

A long time ago, one of DR's presidents was from santiago. Santiago is important because it is hailed as the music capital of dr. So, the president started having merengue tipico (the original type of merengue, still played today, and getting very popular again) group at his parties, festivals, and even at his inauguration (i think, it was something like that though). From that point, merengue got popular. Eventually, people in the capital started changing the sound for a more mainstream/pop appeal by adding saxophones and trumpets. Then even added the congas, which before was not seen in merengue. Many people resented this - they felt by turning it into a 'big band' style group and sound, it ruined merengue.

I personally like both, but i do listen to tipico more.

I like bachata a lot too.