General Dance Discussion > Bad Etiquette :(

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Jul 10, 2004.

1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

sounds innocent to me.

easy to pass with a better result though. taking a call and having her wait is rude... if you must take the call, why not just apologize for it?

2. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Funny thing... A friend asked me to teach with her yesterday, because her regular partner was out of town in a hurry. I thought it was a demo-doll gig and agreed, but turned out to be more substantial than that. I had to decide on what figure to teach as well.. and I let her to most of the talking (not that I kept my mouth shut - but she was the 'real' teacher, and I deferred to her mostly.. but that wasn't the point). Dude was in my class... When the class was done, he came by and said thanks to the substitute teahcer (me!).. clearly, he remembered the past incident... apparent, a teacher deserves more respect than a random guy on the dance floor.. :rolleyes:

And oh, this was the first class I've taught ever. I had a good time, and was quite pleased with how well I could teach :) But thankfully, it was not a beginners class. If it were a beginners class, I'd not have done too well I think...

3. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Well I can say(since I was there) that there were lots of women he danced with there, and he only did that to her(both incidents), so what is she supposed to think? He's never done anything like that to the rest of us(well other than the smarmy part). And there are 3 other paid instructors there who are paid to dance with us and not a one of them ever acts like he does; they act happy to dance with you and they dont try to charm you, just to dance with you or make you laugh if they think you are tense. As for the smarmy part, its true to form..he is one of those guys that thinks if he says complimentary things to you in his spanish accent that you will swoon over him(cross Julio Igelsias with a gigilo and thats what he is like) and not notice that he isnt that great of a dancer. Oh wait, forgot to mention that he stares at your boobs the entire time too... :rolleyes:

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

imo...boob staring=not okay
    taking a call on the way to dancing with a lady=not okay
    missing a lady when having danced w/ others=give benefit of the doubt
    spanish accent=yum

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

In response to quixotedlm:
    You give him a retort.

In response to me:
    Are you only sympathetic to the victims of bad etiquette when they're men?

Thing is, it wasn't innocent when he skipped me in the mixer. He said he wouldn't dance with me as he went to the next woman in line. But no big deal right? That's perfectly acceptable behavior right? If quixote were in a mixer and a woman told him she wouldn't dance with him, would you offer him a smart aleck retort to use or would he be told it's no big deal?

So yeah, it was a bit of a big deal to me that some smarmy guy thought he was too good to dance with me one night. Especially when the people that own the studio (and seem like really nice people) are paying him to dance and be nice to their customers. So not only does he pull that rude behavior on me, but then he decides to have a cell phone conversation while making me stand in front of him instead of dancing with someone else or resting my feet.

In the grand scheme of things, one guy being a creep isn't a huge deal. But when I think about how I'll suffer through my toes being stomped on by clueless men, and have beginner guys try to teach me an underarm turn in swing without telling them it's not that I don't know how, but that they didn't lead it.... Well, it makes me a little bit angry to be treated that way when I try really hard to be nice to the guys at the dances. And I have every right to be angry that someone treated me rudely instead of with the respect that I deserve. I ranted about it to get it out of my system, and I figured a thread about bad etiquette was a good place to rant about someone's bad etiquette. Don't worry, in the future I'll remember it's only a big deal if a woman is rude, when men are rude it's only a big deal if I make it one.:rolleyes:

6. fascination

he SAID it??????...with a straight face????

7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Yes. Said it. Meant it. Don't know what his problem with me that night was, but whatever. His loss. (Especially since he likes looking at boobs, and I'm taller than him and have bigger boobs than most.) It's not that I wanted to dance with him, because like I said, he's not that great. But you just don't do that!

8. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

What's the point? Idiots can seldom be made to understand that they are one, because by virtue of being an idiot, they lack the ability to comprehend their own idiocy... So the wise man pretends to listen to them, nods his head and ignores the words... :rolleyes:

9. spectator

spectator Member

You can give me some of your bad ettiquette any time ;)...

10. fascination

I have always like the adage: he who argues with a fool makes two

11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I see. Use your razor-sharp wit to cleave the fool in half. :nodding sagely:

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep. similar to another one, too: don't try to figure out insanity... you'll only hurt yourself.

13. fascination

um..no...ignore the fool