Tango Argentino > Balance and dancing

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jan 29, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Was reading last weekend about an ice-skating mad tanguero who learned her balance in Tango from her years ice skating. Of course, as she says, if you can balance over a thin sheet of ice, balancing over a shoe ain't a problem.

Personally, I've been a practitioner of martial arts for a while and have found that has increased my balance markedly, and has certainly helped my AT, but what other things do people do (or have they done) to increase their balance in dancing in generaly? Exercise? Ballet? etc

Of course balance in AT is pivotal (ehem, excuse the pun). :lol:

Does anyone have any tips or stories of blood, sweat and tears?

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I can't offer any tips of my own as this is a major problem for me (I dance salsa, not AT -- lots of turning and spinning) but would love to hear how others have learned it, especially from those who (like me) have no useful previous training to draw upon.

3. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

See also the thread I started a while back......"Advise to improve balance....?" under General Dance Discussions. There were some great advise there 8) .

(Sorry guys :oops: , how do you do the click thing again.... :? :oops: ?)

4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Ah yes, found it. Thank you, salsachinita! :)
    Here's the link: Advise to improve balance....?

(Click thing... click the button that says URL and enter the URL.)

5. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Working on the balance thing at the moment, both in my smooth dancing and for spins. Have done a lot of dancing (jazz, ballet, ballroom) over the course of my life so balance is OK (not great but OK). Have also done yoga and tai chi, which helps a lot. Have actually started doing yoga balance postures in my dancing shoes to try to get the shift of weight balance working in heels instead of flats or bare feet! :lol:

Also balance during spins I have been making myself a cup of peppermint and ginger tea and then practising both pivot movements and spins (with spots) until I get dizzy, stop to have some tea and then start again. The peppermint is cleansing and the ginger helps to settle my stomache. I hear the only way to be able to spin without losing balance is to just keep on doing it!

6. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Great advice, dancin_feet (and thanks for the pointer Salsachinita and MacMoto). Yeah, repetition seems to be the only way to learn the skill...spin until you're dizzy, but I like the idea of the tea...here goes...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................BANG!