Dancers Anonymous > Ballroom Christmas Carol

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SDsalsaguy, Apr 1, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The Ballroom Christmas Carol ~ Unknown

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the hall
    Everything was now ready for old St. Nick's Ball
    The bunting was hung by the bandstand with care
    In hopes that Duke Ellington soon would be there
    My wife in her diamonds and I in my tux
    Had just stepped out of our limo deluxe
    When from out of the hall the band's tuning I heard
    So I hurried us in without one more word
    The band was now playing a waltz in strict time
    With everyone doing correct fall and climb
    A foxtrot next was the bandleader's pick
    So everyone started out slow slow quick quick
    Of course at all times to leave nothing to chance
    All couples observed a strict line of dance
    But when West Coast Swing everyone started to hear
    They asked each other "Can they do THAT here?"
    When the band finally stopped and the music had faded
    Among the revelers embraces were traded
    And I heard them exclaim as danced out of sight
    "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!"

2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Bumping this to myself for later. ;-)

3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Are you suggesting that if it wasn't for the West Coast Swing, everyone would have left quietly, into the night? :roll: :lol:

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And where's the latin, the salsa, the fiery passion? Where's the music, the dance that speaks to the soul?

5. SDsalsaguy

Umm, Hello? I am not suggesting anything. Please note:

6. Sagitta

You mean to say you don't have a latin one hidden somewhere? :cry:

7. Pacion

Pacion New Member

and you sharing of it isn't an endorsement :twisted:

8. SDsalsaguy

Now that is funny! Me endorse Chriistmas... :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: What did I say :shock: :lol:

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

that would be argentine tango. or the waltz. :p

11. Sagitta

SD is Jewish.

12. Sagitta

I'll agree with AT.

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Sagitta, got you :wink:

14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i could have have listed every other dance except AT & my point would be the same; every dance has the capacity to speak to one's soul, despite what incurable salsaholics would have you believe! :)

15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: and what other dance ends in "aholics" and sounds as poetic, I ask you! :lol:

waltzaholics? :nope: tangoaholics? :nope: swingaholics? :nope: lindyaholics? :nope: rumbaholics? :nope: paso doubleaholics :nope: foxtrotaholics? :nope: jitterbugaholics :nope: Can I rest my case, Your Honor? :lol:

16. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Good one Pacion............. to me waltzaholics sounds beautiful

17. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

technically it would be tangoholics - which works for me - or you would be dancing "sals". i'm surprised that someone into wordplay as much as you (are) would commit this kind of gaffe!

if i can be allowed to make an analogy, i happen to enjoy sushi, and i know enough about it that many japanese chefs ask me how long i was in japan (never have been) & i've introduced a lot of friends to sushi who were predisposed not to like it. it surprises most people to learn that it's not just raw fish, and that a large part of what makes sushi appealing is the variation of both tastes and textures as well as the condiments that can be applied. (i find that the nuance of texture is largely lost on palates familiar only with the cuisine from western cultures.) as someone who dances & enjoys social ballroom, swing, tango, wcs, as well as salsa, etc. hearing the typical salsaholic tout salsa is a lot like listening to someone insist that a california roll is the only kind of sushi they'll eat. i grant everyone the right to enjoy what they can as long as it doesn't endanger anyone or affect my ability to enjoy something, but when i sense an inherent implication of deficiency on the part of those who don't share that view (which salsaholics frequently project IMO), i can listen for only so long before wanting to respond.

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:notworth: :lol: thank you for the backhanded compliment tsb :lol: It was done on purpose to show that I was missing about, as it is not just "tangoholics" that would be "incorrect" :wink:

oh and sorry, I don't like sushi. I promise I tried several times with my whole heart and mind to like it as some of my friends (and colleagues) love it but, I just can't :cry: so alas, the sushi analogy is completely lost AND wasted on me. Now, if you want to talk japanese food :shock: I love certain dishes and I will never forget, for as long as I live, for as long as the sunshines and the stars remain in the sky :lol: a mushroom appetizer we had. This was so delicious I voted that we skip the main dish and order another of the mushroom appetizers. It was so good, I was salivating as the waiters cleared the plates away :cry: :lol:

Generally though, if I have to choose between spicy (including "sweet and sour" vs "nuance of texture", I will take spicy/peppery any day :? :banana: It is what I grew up with and I think my mouth buds have been programmed accordingly. Same applies to alcohol :? Most alcohol tastes like rum/whisky to me ::shrugs::

19. Sagitta

All righty then. I like spicy food too. Though I mix it up with plainer stuff so I can appreciate the natural flavors too. Like salmon fried in it's own oil (no salt, no pepper, no spices), with a squeeze of lime and toast. Just like life. Some things you need to spice up and some you just don't. Some times you need to spice up your life and sometimes you just appreciate the natural way of things. Will you be my spicey lady P? Will you let me have some spice! Some pper, some zest! :friend:

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: Do you have any freshly ground cardomon for me :roll: :lol: