Ballroom Make-up

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I am sure that a lot of you watched these make-up tutorials. I don't put on that much make-up. I normally don't have time to do that much make-up. How about you?

2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I allocate 30-40 minutes to do my makeup for a competition. That's usually more than enough. I used to take longer, closer to an hour, but I got better at it. I don't think I would allocate less than that. I have done makeup for a showcase in about 15 minutes once because I was running late, but it wasn't as good and I would rather avoid that situation in the future. So I don't think I'll try to get it under 30 minutes.
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, my partner and I had the opportunity to get some feedback from one of our judges after our last competition. One of the specific pieces of feedback he had for my partner was that she needed to wear more makeup than she did at the comp. So apparently, it's something that at least some of the judges really care about.
  4. polishbloo

polishbloo New Member

I usually spend an hour for makeup. I enjoy applying dance makeup, so it's more fun for me than a hassle, so I'm okay with taking extra time with it. When I have nice makeup, I feel like it makes my entire look more put together.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It takes me about fifteen minutes if I'm having a good day with the false lashes. (Add about ten minutes and a glued-shut eye if I'm not. That kind of depends on how early in the morning it is.) However it's not hard compared stage makeup, which I learned to do in high school, so I'm not unfamiliar with the concept. (I also don't do clown colors as a rule with the eyes, it's aging and just looks bad. Mostly whites, blacks, and some sort of neutral or metallic (especially if I have to switch dresses.) It's more about making my eyes look big and that's more highlighting and shadowing than anything else.) Highlighter/bronzer/blush on the cheeks, lips don't take long at all.

Mostly I just have to remember if there's no tanner on my ears, base them so they aren't ridiculously pale next to everything else. I am curious what R. is going to suggest for this showcase (especially since, while I'd like it to be a bit creepy/Uncanny Valley too, whatever it is I have to be able to undo in less than three hours and get it back to normal comp without too much fuss or access to a hotel room bathroom, since we have our showcase and mutlidance at the Century Center.)
  6. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I am still perfecting my ballroom makeup look. I have watched hundreds of regular make up tutorials so find out what highlights certain features that I like the most about my face and how to do things like apply false lashes etc. I also watch pros and how they have their makeup applied. I notice in their eye makeup how they keep the inside of the eye lighter and then a darker color on the outside. I still have issues making everything even.

I'm hoping to get an appt with Boyko for USA Dance Nationals this and get my hair and makeup done with him and maybe learn a thing or 2 about what they do.
    5678dance likes this.
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

smidra - I've had my make up done by Sylvia (Boyko's lead make up gal) a number of times....I love the way she does ballroom make up. It's not "costume-ey" it's very natural but on steroids - which seems like a oxymoron.
    gracie and smidra86 like this.
  8. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

It takes me between 45 min and hour, including eyelashes. I seem to pick tutorials from MakeupGeek and PixiWoo that have a lot of blending and/or color, which seems to take a while. I love these youtube tutorials - so much easier to follow than my Kevin Aucoin books from forever ago. But - if i'm in a hurry, i have two different looks that I can do in about 15 minutes and I know work well.
  9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I have one look that I got a lesson on from a makeup savvy (non-ballroom) friend, and I can do it in half an hour, though I leave more time. I have plenty to learn, but I figure that DH and I are on the slow but steady track in our dancing, and as long as my skill at makeup (and hair, too) improves at the same speed as the dancing, I'll keep looking level-appropriate. It would be easier if I wore my contacts instead of my glasses in non-dance life, so I could practice eye makeup when the whim struck me. But somehow that's not motivation enough to change my daily habits.
  10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I allocate an hour for doing my makeup. If you are doing primer, foundation, highlighting and contouring, bronzer, blush, eyes, lashes, and lips, I don't see how you could do it in less than 30, even on a really good day. Typically it takes me about 45, a little more if I'm trying something different with my eye makeup.
  11. It's Silviya Pencheva. Unless Boyko has another makeup girl, Silviya is the only one who works with Boyko. And she is the best.
  12. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Oh, thank GOD someone started this thread! For EVER, I've been wanting to ask everyone here what brands for what parts (i.e. blush, bronzer, highlighter, etc) they recommend for dance makeup. It seems to me the most important thing is eye and face primers, since they seem to be the thing that really extend makeup's longevity. I know I've used Urban Decay's eye primer potion under the $10, 100-color ELF eye shadow palette and the stuff did not budge all day. I want to get the Makeup Forever primer and I have a lot of great products for all the other stuff (tarte 12-hr blush, Too Faced matte bronzer, etc). The single thing I'm most confused about is foundation. For comps/showcases, sometimes I'm tanned, sometimes not - and even when I am tanned, I can't predict what color I'm going to be. So I'd REALLY love love love a recommendation for a water/sweatproof smart shade (skin matching) foundation if anyone knows of any.
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Personally, I use a dark foundation (darker than I ever get even when very tanned) and mix a pump of it with my normal foundation = instant custom foundation for every shade in between, and blends really well with my tanned skin. Just makes sure the color family is the same (ie, if you go orange when you tan, use a more orangey darker foundation, if you go more golden, more yellow tones).
  14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Actually he used to have one other gal, I think it was Tina, that he brought on when he did large comps....I haven't seen her the last couple of times I've had Boyko do my hair and makeup...
    gracie likes this.
  15. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

So it sounds like a lot of you use primers. Can you share which brand of primers you can get easily in the US and works well? (I didn't even know there is such a thing called a primer.:confused:)
  16. scullystwin42

Primers are awesome for eyes. I use Urban Decay's primer potion. I don't use one for my face...yet. I've actually heard that Monistat's Anti-Chafing gel works well as a whole face primer, I just haven't tried it yet.
    stash likes this.
  17. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I really like the Laura Mercier primer. Primer gets put on before any and all makeup and makes the makeup last much longer and not get all sloppy if you are dancing all day and need to keep the makeup on all day.

I then use a different primer for my eyes. For the eyes, I use the Too Faced eye primer that came with an eye shadow palette that my sis gave me as a bday gift last year.
  18. scullystwin42

I use NYX's matte powder foundation in a rather dark color - I'm pale normally, but when I tan, this goes on sheer enough that it matches whatever tan I have. And I can layer on more as needed. Here's a link: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/pro...=1198722718&catargetid=1516102201&cagpspn=pla

I love NYX for makeup, i find it's a good duplicate for the more expensive brands, but much cheaper.
  19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I use Makeup Forever primer on my face and Urban Decay on my eyes.

My foundation is Makeup Forever as well and I like it. For eyes (shadow and liner) and highlighting I have a combination of stuff from Ben Nye to Matisse Elite to MAC. I only shell out the big bucks for those things because I need industrial strength sweatproof qualities or high pigment colors. I have been at comps where my "waterproof" foundation and eyeliner were dripping down my face... not attractive! I like the Ben Nye/MAC/Matisse eye shadows because they show up awesomely on the floor.

For bronzer, blush, and lipstick I use Revlon. It is easy on your wallet, conveniently sold at pharmacies, and it gets the job done. I have found no need to spend a lot of money on those products (bronzer/blush/lips) and highly recommend Revlon as a cheaper, but still adequate, option.

For mascara I use my regular old waterproof mascara. Diorshow Blackout in... black. It is expensive, but by far the most amazing mascara I have ever found.
  20. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I should write all this down before I go shopping. So can I get most of what you guys use at Ulta? I have been there only once. I usually go to Target or mall for my make-up supplies.