Tango Argentino > Ballroom style

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Shaka, Mar 22, 2011.

1. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

No doubt they had benefitted from some serious Latin American training, where achieving fast foot speeds is one of the key skills. There was quite a Latin feel throughout, and I would guess that their Bolero was probably more faithful to that style.

I agree. They have done a 'show' tango on every recent series of SCD, but this was probably the weakest. The BBC didn't even hire a bandoneonist for the band, so you can tell their heart wasn't in it ...

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

OK, I guess I read more into it than was intended.

If you haven't figured out by now, we tango people take things very seriously.

[​IMG]

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

o my... I got that! lol

4. ant

ant Member

Just to give a balanced view.

I very much doubt whether as a matter of course an AT couple would do as you have suggested and that in some ways goes to explain some of the thinking.

5. UKDancer

The flip side of that coin is that very few AT couples could. Apart from anything else, you couldn't dance BR tango in 4" heels - you'd kill yourself! :wink:

6. ant

ant Member

Could or not have the desire to?

7. UKDancer

Both, probably.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Just as you posit that few AT dancers even could dance ballroom tango, what we've seen time and again is that very few ballroom cancers candance AT halfway decently.

9. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I have been pondering the nature of Ballroom Argentine Tango for a while. I think I finally have an idea of how it came to be, and maybe this will give the ballroom peeps who post here and the lurkers an idea of why there is often a visceral reaction when the subject comes up.

ok. Imagine there is a small country in the middle of nowhere. Let's call it Lindystan. In Lindystan, the only form of dancing is Lindy Hop, of course. But the people, they long for something different. Finally, they receive it.. in the form of Dancing with the Stars. The show is an instant hit, and people are clamoring to learn the latest ballroom dances. The dance teachers send a couple emissaries to the US to learn as much as they can, and meanwhile some of the teachers try to recreate the moves from watching the tv.

Different groups get together, and a syllabus is born.

"My professional teacher from the magical passionate land of America, the birthplace of Fred and Ginger, said that the most important step in Foxtrot is the Feather Step."

"Ok, I guess if an American teacher said it, it must be true. We'll make that step part of Bronze Foxtrot. So what about that thing Derek and Nicole did last week?"

"Oh! The move where she swooned back into his arms? That seems a little more complicated. Let's call that Silver. And the lift and spin at the end, definitely Gold."

Tada! Syllabus created, teaching is begun in earnest, and soon people are dancing ballroom. Sort of. The people of Lindystan are good dancers. They understand body mechanics, motion, connection, etc. But there's a lot missing from their ballroom dancing. When they don't understand how a movement works, they just substitute energetic bouncing. (They are Lindyhoppers after all. ;) )

So replace the US with Argentina, and Lindystan with everyone in the world NOT from Argentina... replace Ballroom with Argentine Tango, and finally replace Dancing with the Stars with Tango Argentino the show, as well as stage performances such as Forever Tango. And that's how I imagine the DVIDA, ISTD, Arthur Murray and all those who have made Argentine Tango syllabi came up with them. Some of what they teach certainly LOOKS a lot like Argentine Tango. But to anyone who has a background in Argentine Tango, it would be off. Like the same way it would look to a ballroom dancer if they were watching a couple who had skipped straight to Gold and Open without paying their dues in Bronze and Silver.

Worst of all, they miss critical teaching in how to social dance, and would have a hard time doing anything but choreography. And even their choreography just isn't quite right, though they can fake it well enough for an audience of non-dancers.

Anyway. That's the best way I can think of it. I hope you enjoyed my rambling and at least found it entertaining. I don't necessarily think that the Ballroom Argentine Tango syllabi were created with ill intentions. They may have even been created out of love for the dance, or at least how the dance was perceived.

10. UKDancer

Oh yes, of course. And put me on the list!

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Curious, it´s only 6 month ago that I asked in several subforums, what style this actually could be and no one could answer.

What about TV-Tango?

12. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I believe it is called "Tango fantasia" (at least, in Argentina); one's own interpretation of tango put on stage/screen predominantly for entertainment of the masses.

13. Lilly_of_the_valley

There is absolutely no reason why a ballroom dancer cannot learn Argentine Tango. If he/she is genuinely interested in learning it, that is.

14. Subliminal

Yep, agreed.

My somewhat long-winded point was that if they are learning from a ballroom AT syllabus, they're mostly just learning show tango. Weird show tango.

15. Lilly_of_the_valley

...and when they show up at a milonga, it oftentimes becomes a nightmare.

16. Subliminal

Hehe. Darn, I tried to correct my language to be a little less mean and more clear, but you quoted me mid-edit. ;)

17. Larinda McRaven

John and Alexandra did not learn from a ballroom syllabus. They show was choreographed in part by their ballroom coach and in part by an AT teacher in NYC.

And we all agree that learning a style in order to perform a showdance, a la DWTS, does not make a social dancer... in any style.

18. Lilly_of_the_valley

In my opinion, they are talented kids, and totally able to put on a great tango-fantasia show number, but they need a different choreographer, and possibly, a different AT instructor.

19. Larinda McRaven

Perhaps so. I would look at a ballroom show and immediately be able to know whether it was choreographed by a knowledgeable ballroom choreographer or not. Some stuff simply works together and some doesn't. Some is creative and innovative and some things are just plain weird.

But I will say this particular verison was their first display of this number and it has since evolved, including choreography changes and probably a bit deeper understanding of the style and how to display it.

20. Larinda McRaven

worth a try!