Country and Western > Ballroom vs. Country Waltz, Cha Cha, Swing

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by suburbaknght, Jul 6, 2013.

1. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I think that ballroom WCS (ie a coaster instead of an anchor at the end of a pattern) is being purged even from ballroom studios.

RiseNFall likes this.
  2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

That would be great

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Variations of both partners facing the same direction are pretty common in CW waltz. Ballroom competitive too?

Also, how is WCS danced socially at CW places different than WSDC comp style?

4. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

In my experience, WCS is danced socially at a C&W place by getting out on the floor early in a song and staking out a slot on the edge of the floor away from the gaggle of line dancers hoping that the late arrivals will respect my slot and realize that their box will end up where I am while I have no place to go.

cornutt and Steve Pastor like this.
  5. kayak

kayak Active Member

I don't see hardly any difference in WCS between CW and WSDC. If you like to dance one dance to all music, your a westie. If you like to dance different dances to different music your CW.

I agree, all CW couples dances struggle to find space in the line dance blob.

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Maybe someone can comment on some not country waltz music. In the meantime...

I heard the Roger Miller original of Husbands and Wives while on a CostCo run with my friend.

I noticed a long time ago how CW drummers accented what I thought were the 2nd and 3rd beats, and hey isn't the first beat in waltz the one that is emphasized?

Here's the Brook and Dunn version that I've always danced to. Sounds like the drummer is mostly hitting the 3.

I was able to find sheet music on line to confirm the not always but when it happens it's on 3 here.

I listened to Patsy Cline's Tennessee Waltz (originally by Pee Wee King), and there was the same drummer on 2 and 3.

With this one it seems like the drummer is playing n 6/8 to accent when he does.

Pee Wee King's drummer (Sticks McDonald) stayed pretty quiet when he recorded it in 1947.
    see PragueFrank's web site - http://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.com/2015/07/pee-wee-king.html

Anyhow, just wanted to post this before life goes on.

raindance likes this.
  7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

To leave a beat out is the best way to emphasize it !

8. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

The idea is to let the downbeat resound with a bass note. So the drummer tends to hit the bass drum on the downbeat and hits the trebles (brushes, hihats) on the 2 and the 3. I have heard some drummers accentuate the downbeat with a rimshot, like Rick Ament. I find that those who give the treble to their downbeat tend to take away from the push and pull that one normally associates with the waltz.