Salsa > Ballroom vs Street/club Salsa

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by latindia, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Josh

Josh Active Member

Forget the word fluid (fluid meaning "flowing", no pauses or interruptions). Maybe a bad word choice on my part. Replace fluid w/ precise, and see if that makes more sense. Again, this isn't a blanket statement covering all dancers, this is just what appears to be common, to me.

No one's blocking your keyboard--set us straight girlfriend! :)

2. africana

africana New Member

too much to say too little time...

but let me say this: A trained dancer can be a club dancer AND a street
    shocked? well that's the large population of the best dancers I know in the mambo/salsa circuit and MOST of them are NOT ballroom salseros. In fact in my scene NONE of the best are from ballroon

secondly all this talk of technique and precision in ballroom misses the fact that salsa has amassed its own set of unique technique. I can point to at least 2 instructors in my scene who are "technique whores" :p and NONE of them have a ballroom background...but just watch their performances or social dances, wow! It's got everything: fluidity, control, speed, flavor, athleticism, and so on

thirdly, you do not characterize a dance based on an amateur sample. Like I told someone before, you need to look to the best to know what is possible, and there are salsa pros/gods/demigods aplenty...do some traveling

lastly, forget the charts and just dance

3. Josh

Josh Active Member

:eek:

Just about everything I have said has been prefaced or appended with "in my opinion" or "to me" or something similar (unlike some who feel their opinion becomes written-in-stone truth). No statements of hard fact have been claimed--seriously, it's just an opinion. I am always open to corrections in my claims or viewpoints--so, don't just complain about incorrect statements--please correct them! :|

4. africana

africana New Member

:twisted: it feels good to be mad eh?
    No need, just sharing my opinion that those statements were quite flawed

5. Josh

Josh Active Member

If you're referring to those with previous ballroom dancing backgrounds, well, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about those who have been trained, which is part of the reason for this discussion--what defines "ballroom salsa" and "street salsa"? It seems like to this point "ballroom salsa" carries the idea of those who have been trained at a studio, nothing more--NOT someone who comes from a ballroom dancing background.

Do you think that the salsa pros/gods/demigods have had no salsa training... just did it all on their own? I've traveled quite a bit, thanks. :D

6. Josh

Josh Active Member

:lol: Not particularly...! But it would take a LOT for YOU to make me mad ... I'm not as easily upset as you-- :wink:

7. africana

africana New Member

wow wot silliness you just repeated the main point I was getting across - that dancing traning does not mean ballroom training, the very idea I got from itorres and your quotes
    :roll:

8. africana

africana New Member

:doh:
    why did I bother

9. Josh

Josh Active Member

sorry you got the wrong idea. :wink:

10. africana

africana New Member

hmm interesting

11. itorres

itorres New Member

Exactly. Most think that ballroom Salsa comes from training in a studio (not coming from a Ballroom dance background), and street/club Salsa are self taught or taught by family, friends, etc.

About who's fluid or not. I believe it is clear if one reads Josh's and my previous posts what the deal was. He noticed less trained dancer's steps seemed to blend together all through the three steps per measure, he noticed that the pause in non-stepping beats was not really apparent. He chose the word "fluid" which usually seems like a desirable style characteristic but he meant that they seemed to blend all together. He did not mean to praise these dancers. He retracted the word..
    but unfortunately I think he made a mistake when he said...
    You don't want to replace "fluid" with "precise"...Thus it would be "untrained dancers are more precise" which is the opposite of what we were saying.
    We were saying trained dancers are more precise, steps are crisper on the beats, etc.

Agree, Josh? :)

12. Josh

Josh Active Member

Yes you're right--Arg. Sorry, I meant just the opposite--replace fluid with "NOT precise" ... oye.

:doh:

13. itorres

itorres New Member

No fallacy, just a poor choice of a word that was later retracted and clarified. I don't know if you missed it. :)

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Point taken Josh. You have said that these are just your perspectives, and you're certtainly as entitled to your own views as anyone else. I was more agreeing with africana some of the generalizations being made in this thread. Sorry I didn't spell that out better. :oops:

15. africana

africana New Member

no big deal, why i didn't bother at first

16. Josh

Josh Active Member

It's cool bro--nothin' to it! :D I hope I didn't come off as perturbed ... You long time salser@s are much more experienced and much better than I am, so I look to many of you long-timers for solid info--you have certainly been a source of good info in my short DF career!

17. latindia

latindia New Member

What's the difference? Between "dancing training" and "ballroom training"?
    What do you guys mean when you refer to 'ballroom background' vs 'dance studio' background? It seems like you are not refering to the same thing.

R

18. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

Dance studio and Ballroom studio are two very different things. Think dance studio - jazz dance, afro-haitian, hip-hop, etc. Now, think Ballroom - waltz, foxtrot, cha cha, etc.

19. latindia

latindia New Member

You'll have to explain a bit more, if you don't mind. I do not have a dance background before salsa, nor do I come from a 'western' cultural/social background where any of these dances (or partner dancing of any kind) are everyday events. My experience with the ballroom ballroom dancing styles you mention is mostly limited to Hollywood movies, and hip-hop to MTV and some clubs. That's probably why I am having so much trouble following the debates on these forums. Also, most websites/threads that people ask me to read also assume some basic innate cultural understanding of these dances and the differences between them.

So what specific difference are you talking about here between 'dance studio' and 'ballroom'? All the three ballroom dances you mention are partner dances and the studio ones are not. Is that what you refer to?

Thanks
    Raj

20. IsaacAltman

IsaacAltman Member

To get an idea of Salsa and Dancesport, etc. go to www.salsahotline.net Some of the rules will define the different styles.