Dance Articles > Banning Same Sex Partners could be Illegal

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by DanceMentor, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

What is 'starter step"?

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

See 10th video down on page http://swingshoes.net/photos-videos/videos/wcs-101. The shorter version is most typical. Generalist might be referring to a version you sometimes see where the "closed hold" is a very close, though casual one.

3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

:confused:Yes, I can certainly see how this beginner step is the first step on the road to homoerotic intimacy.

4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: In fairness, if you watch the high level j&j dancers, they do a very close, very sexy version of it, but yeah....

5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

This may be a totally different topic, but I'd have loved to see an actual legal opinion in the article from someone who doesn't have a vested interest in claiming discrimination whenever possible (because that's ultimately what pays the bills for equal rights campaigners if they do it full time).

As it is, I feel like it gets into the murky "to whom are you allowed to deny business / entry to an athletic/artistic competition" area. To give a similar tangent, age is a protected class in the US, but there is no one anywhere who would ever claim that barring an 18-year old from entering a 10-years and younger baseball tournament is discriminatory. The competitions may need to provide a same-sex option to non-mixed competitors, but that doesn't mean they need to allow them into the events that all the mixed gender couples compete in.

danceronice and ajiboyet like this.
  6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Frankly, I like the same sex dance competitions better than the "regular" ones. WAY more fun.

And if a man touched me in a way I wouldn't touch another woman while dancing...I would not dance with him again.

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

T H I S !!!

8. ajiboyet

I really do not feel everyone is being COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE about this matter.

9. twnkltoz

Probably not. It's an emotional topic.

10. Nick Murden

Nick Murden New Member

I have often wondered if it is more than just the technical aspect of dancing but also the 'show' in respect of how it makes ME feel. I quite like mixed partners because often the story is something I can relate to so it becomes more than just technical. Equally for same sex couples outside of dance, there is something they can relate to better. Everyone has a right to prefer something over another and no one should be afraid to say so, but if being judged on technical standard is the case then preference is irrelevant.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome Nick

12. Nick Murden

Nick Murden New Member

Thank you :p

13. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Does this mean we could see fully-rhinestoned tailsuits? OMGYESEQUALITYYESYES.

architeuthis, cornutt and Siggav like this.
  14. Lui

Lui Active Member

I’m not a fan of competitions, but as I understand they work pretty well because their set of rules guarantee a level playing field for every contestant. By those conventions the dances are designed for a cliché female follower and a cliché male leader. You don’t have to be gay to dislike that, but that’s the way the completion scene likes their stuff and tolerance works both ways. If an all-male couple wants to play by those rules, the follower had to dance in drag. Putting on a tailsuit is even easier for a lady leader. For me that would solve the problem.

What I don’t understand is why the same sex couples want to subdue or at least compete to this old “cookie-cutter“ roles, when they can create a dance tailored exactly to their gender needs. Just imagine what incredible visible effects two intertwining ball gown may create or what breathtaking acrobatic stunts two athletic guys may produce.

15. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Not BR, but, Oh, heck yeah!

16. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

You prefer not to dance with a man. Leave it at that. You're allowed to feel this way.

But just to be clear - no one I've ever danced with touched me intimately while dancing. Intimate touching is something else entirely and it's probably not what anyone in a ballroom wants to witness. Jeez, I have trouble with "butt as bongos" in Mambo.

Lioness likes this.
  17. ajiboyet

To go further, I don't it would be fair to anybody to compare two tail suits against a tail suit an a ballgown.

18. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Not true -- I do dance with men -- but only if they can follow. I know a couple of men that I dance WCS with. I haven't asked men for other styles of dance and none have asked me. It's just as well because closer dances might be kind of icky. Bachata is definitely a NO! It's easier to do same sex dancing in WCS because we can do mostly open position.

19. twnkltoz

My brother danced VW with two different guys at the local same sex comp last year. I was super proud of him. He'd hardly followed at all before that!

Lioness likes this.
  20. Lui

Lui Active Member

Dancing with men during the lessons is part of my job as a dance teacher and I like my job. Dancing with them on stage is somewhat fun for me too.

As it is rather casual in germany, I tried dancing with them in social life as well and it felt extremely awkward to me. Seems I’m wired that way, so I don’t do it anymore.

However, I assume that it feels as strange to some women to dance with men and vice versa, so it’s a good thing there is a choice for everyone.