Dance Articles > Banning Same Sex Partners could be Illegal

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by DanceMentor, Jul 15, 2014.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Exactly so Lui -- just because something is more (or less) to my taste does not mean I think it should make more (or less) sense for anyone else.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Er...I doubt that very much.

3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Really? I imagine for women who see used to being in close contact with other women, dancing with a man might be an unusual experience.

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Women, even lesbians who primarily dance with women, dancing with men are not fighting the stigma men face when dancing with other men. I imagine it's a very rare occurrence to find a woman who finds it strange to dance with a man.

Generalist likes this.
  5. Lui

Lui Active Member

Might be a cultural thing. I know scores of women, rejecting the very idea being lead by a man … and they are not even lesbians.

6. twnkltoz

Yes, must be. Because I have never in my life met one who had an issue with it. Well...they might backlead like crazy, but they at least pretend they're OK with the man leading. :)

7. Lui

Lui Active Member

“… submitting to a man’s will is treason to emancipation” so or similar is the line of thought. Especially tango is recognized as a suppression of the female by the diehard activists.

And yes, we do have a lot of intellectuals who seem to never have danced a step but keep thinking hard about all it’s possible political outcomes.

JoeB likes this.
  8. twnkltoz

I will concede I've never talked to a hard core feminist, so that's pretty far outside of my reality.

9. Lui

Lui Active Member

In my experience, those who demand high tolerance for their own “alternative” style of life are just the very same with the least tolerance against all other.

JoeB, danceronice and twnkltoz like this.
  10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Oh.

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure most hard core feminists wouldn't have a problem, to be honest. I've had people tell me I can't be a feminist and a follow, because I'm wearing makeup and wearing high heels etc etc. it's nonsense. I'm choosing to dance, therefore it's not anti-feminist. No one is forcing things on me.

Lui...I've experienced more acceptance and kindness from the LGBT community than I have from most other places. I'd just like to put that out there.

12. Lui

Lui Active Member

I work as a dancer and have been working as magician for a time. My girlfriends teaches aspiring dressmakers and we live in Kreuzberg Berlin. At least half of my friends, colleagues, neighbors are part of some LGBT community. In my experience they are just as normal people as everybody else, with all the fault and greatness that come with being human. Considering that another part of our local population is of Islamic believe, it is astonishing that we get along that well. However, it works out, because everybody is minding their own happiness and not so much what they like the other people not to do.

That’s why I don’t like dogmatism and I don’t like self-proclaimed Paladins trying to dictate everybody’s life under the disguise of political correctness. At least here, I don’t see this tendency to originate from the heart of the LGBT community. It rather seems to be just another tool of certain political circles to support their influence.

In a really tolerant society there should be a place for all kind of competitions, also for one mixed-couples-only.

JoeB and Bailamosdance like this.
  13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Agreed! While there are certainly an array of accompanying perspectives, at heart being a feminist simply means believing in the equal value and dignity of all people. By that measure (1) I'm definitely among the "hard core" group, and (2) think more people agree than realize that they too are, in fact, feminists.

Siggav likes this.
  14. Aggy

Aggy New Member

same sex legal in competitions?
    [I did not read the original article yet, so upfront apologies for any redundancy...]

Some long while ago there was even lawsuit in the Netherlands on this topic!

If you are member in an association, you accepted the rules set in that association. If the rules state that a couple is mixed: that's it. In general the law is ok, as it protects associations (freedom of association).

If you're not a member, rules can be enforced, but should comply with general law. General law states that one is not allowed to discriminate based on gender. So, no difference between same-sex and mixed couples.

It's actually one of the major differences in the world of international ballroom dancing, WDC and WDSF: in the former one is not a member, but a 'customer' 'consuming' a competition. In the latter one is a member through a national body.
    Hence, interestingly, WDC comps could be forced to include same-sex couples, WDSF not.

But hey: in practice there's dedicated comps and I am not sure inhowfar same-sex couples want to compete in mixed comps? Are they willing to challenge e.g. Blackpool?
    In the Netherlands back then the couple was very talented and was looking for a competition they otherwise would hardly have.

15. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

I have only been in the world of ballroom and latin for a very short time but I know that it is super common in the uk at university and medalist competitions for females to sometimes have a female partner for the simple reason there are not enough male dance partners.

I have to travel an hour to get to a dance class as the one locally will not let me join as I do not have a partner. I have seen ladies dance together and in one instance both wore dresses but the follower had a more traditional dress while the other had a simple black dress

16. MTS

MTS New Member

I found an interesting blog post about this a few weeks ago. I would post a link, but I'm a new member and I'm not allowed yet. I will when that restriction is lifted. If I remember properly, the argument was about defining dance as a "sport" or an "art." If sport, then gender restrictions make sense. If art, then it's about creating something beautiful and in ballroom/Latin dance beauty is about the balance between "masculine" and "feminine" energies. Men or women can possess both or either of these "energies."

17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I found an event that will offer some Same Sex events, and a woman who is willing to be my partner, so that I can test out my leading skills! Very, very happy!!!! Just for the record, for my part at least, competing as a Lady Lead isn't about any kind of agenda or PC statement or anything like that. I've been taking lessons and competing for a LONG time as a follow; but now I've been learning to lead, and I want to try it out at a competition, just like I try out the stuff that I learn as a follow. For me, it's about the DANCING – and I don't see why anyone else should find that objectionable.

Sania, raindance and RiseNFall like this.
  18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Please write a post sometime about your experiences learning the lead role after being a long-time follow. I'd be interested to read it.

raindance likes this.
  19. twnkltoz

What does that mean?

20. twnkltoz

So it's OK for opposite sex partners to disturb the society around them?

Lioness and Bailamosdance like this.